Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

(edited)

Going to stick to AMD or go Intel if you do?

It's gonna depend on the line-up and who has the best choice for my eventual budget at the time.

I hope to squeeze at least 4-5 years (or at least the end of this gen) out of this one and still be hitting medium setting after the new GPU and such. 

Edited by Shoboni

I'm planning on getting an Intel Skylake i7 when the chips come out (early 2016 I think); along with a new motherboard, new ram, and a new CPU cooler (preferably one that doesn't have a giant heatsink).

I'll probably either sell my old parts or use them for another folding rig.

Hopefully this new development will bring AMD back into the GPU ballgame against the Nvidia 900 series.  AMD never really dropped out of the ballgame imo, but their sales haven't really been up to par lately.

But on the CPU side I find it pretty hard to believe that AMD will ever catch up to Intel.  It's funny, because AMD used to destroy Intel in the past and now they're lagging behind.

On the CPU side, they have the original K6 engineer again (can't remember his name off the top of my head). Y'know, the K6, from back when they were kicking Intel's ass?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Not a bad first build, I'd say. It would definitely outperform the PS4/XBone, even a build like that.

Tips? Well, just take your time, watch some tutorials if you're not sure on things, don't rush and get impatient, because that could lead to damaging things. 

Putting a PC together really isn't that hard. I wasn't sure before I built mine, but I can assure you that it'll be worth it in the end. Also, read any manuals. Those help.

I hate to say it, but it really wouldn't. The R7 250x simply can't keep up to the graphics card in the PS4 or even the Xbox one, which are more akin to a 260x or a 750ti.

Personally, I'd go with something more like this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cloudyy/saved/#view=R7Ckcf

Instead of the Pentium, I chose instead an Athlon 860k. The Pentium is a great processor, but more and more games are having issues with dual cores and the Athlon will most likely prove to be a better investment at this price point.

The other big change I made is the 270, this graphics card will run circles around the 250x and it's only about 140 bucks. ( http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1126?vs=1080 )

Still, the build manages to be only $411 dollars before mail-in rebates.

This is of course taking some advantage of current sales, but similar deals for similar products can be found at pretty much any given time if you look on pcpartpicker.

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 2

I'm going to be moving soon with my laptop but I need internet. So should I get an internet router to connect to the web?

You'd still need an ISP, routers don't magically grant you a connection.

I hate to say it, but it really wouldn't. The R7 250x simply can't keep up to the graphics card in the PS4 or even the Xbox one, which are more akin to a 260x or a 750ti.

Personally, I'd go with something more like this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Cloudyy/saved/#view=R7Ckcf

Instead of the Pentium, I chose instead an Athlon 860k. The Pentium is a great processor, but more and more games are having issues with dual cores and the Athlon will most likely prove to be a better investment at this price point.

The other big change I made is the 270, this graphics card will run circles around the 250x and it's only about 140 bucks. ( http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1126?vs=1080 )

Still, the build manages to be only $411 dollars before mail-in rebates.

This is of course taking some advantage of current sales, but similar deals for similar products can be found at pretty much any given time if you look on pcpartpicker.

The 750ti is actually a bit more powerful than the Xbone and can stand pretty even with the PS4, so it would be a good bet for a build that's aiming to just match or slightly exceed the consoles instead of getting really high graphical settings.

• Brohoof 1

750ti's are good for putting in a pre-built desktop with a small power supply, because they don't take up very much room and have a low power requirement.

But if you're starting from scratch, you'd probably be better off buying the 270 for the same price or slightly more for a noticeable performance difference. It's a great value.

• Brohoof 1

So, it seems The Witcher 3 has recieved mass praise. Hmm, let's see, a 9.3 from IGNorant, a 10 from Gamespot. And a couple other 10s and 9s. Not sure if it deserves it, but I probably won't get it unless it goes on sale on steam for like 10 bucks. So I wouldn't know

• Brohoof 1

So, it seems The Witcher 3 has recieved mass praise. Hmm, let's see, a 9.3 from IGNorant, a 10 from Gamespot. And a couple other 10s and 9s. Not sure if it deserves it, but I probably won't get it unless it goes on sale on steam for like 10 bucks. So I wouldn't know

Same for me with almost any AAA game nowadays, since I just plain can't trust reviewers anymore (aside from TB and AJ).

Better to pay less later and be disappointed then to pay more now and be disappointed, imo.

• Brohoof 2

I still have the first two Witcher games sitting unplayed in my library from they went on sale for like $3 each a while back.  

750ti's are good for putting in a pre-built desktop with a small power supply, because they don't take up very much room and have a low power requirement.

But if you're starting from scratch, you'd probably be better off buying the 270 for the same price or slightly more for a noticeable performance difference. It's a great value.

You forget that Nvidia has the awesomeness that is Shadowplay, where as  AMD has no analog to it.

One thing I will never understand about PC gamers. They'll buy thousands of dollars worth of computer parts, but then they only play either retro style games or emulate old console games. I know that is a over generalization but seriously...

One thing I will never understand about PC gamers. They'll buy thousands of dollars worth of computer parts, but then they only play either retro style games or emulate old console games. I know that is a over generalization but seriously...

Honestly, if my computer can run Morrowind, I'm fine with it.

I've said this like ninety times

• Brohoof 1

How do you know the most PC gamers do? I play games that can push my PC. As a matter of fact, emulators and retro style games make up probably one percent of what I play. I have Dolphin, a GC emulator, and I can run Wind Waker flawlessly, but I can't remember the last time I played it. You're right, you are over generalizing. No offense.
  • Brohoof 1

I bought my PC not only for playing games but also so that I could experiment with all the different benchmarks that were available and match them against other people's PCs.  I also get a feeling of pure satisfaction whenever I buy new PC parts and install them into my rig.  PC building also gives me a feeling of, "hey, I built that, and I'm damn proud of my work."  I would absolutely LOVE to water cool my rig, but my budget doesn't allow for it...yet.

What I'm trying to say is that some people don't enjoy PC building purely for gaming, but for the awesome creations that they can make during and after the building process.

Like this: http://img.techpowerup.org/140821/IMG_5620.jpg

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm not among those people. Among the more demanding games I play are BF4 and COD:AW. I have more recent games than old games.

@,

Perhaps you should change your username to Morrowind.

Edited by Tsaritsa Luna
  • Brohoof 1

I guess I'm a mix. I mean, today, I played some Putt-Putt. Majority of those games are from the 1990s. But then at the same time I like games that push my GPU to its limits, like GTA V or modded Skyrim (honestly, you can't go back to vanilla Skyrim after you install some mods that turn it into an actual RPG and not some action-adventure wannabe RPG) so there's that.

• Brohoof 1

Nah. I really like all Elder Scrolls games. EXCEPT THAT ONE.

Honestly, I feel that game is overrated. I played a bit of it, and I thought, "meh". Then I played Fallout 3 and I was sucked in. I like the post apocalyptic setting more than the fantasy/medieval setting. I still like the setting, though. One of my favorite games and all time favorite JRPG is Dragon Quest 8.

Want to make Skyrim better? Mod it.

It's pretty bad when you have to mod a game into a good one. That should be the game designer's job, not ours.

• Brohoof 2

Want to make Skyrim better? Mod it.

It's pretty bad when you have to mod a game into a good one. That should be the game designer's job, not ours.

The entire story of Resident Evil 4s first PC release before we thankfully got a port of the HD Edition.

It was released in such a horrible and broken state that it took a ton of modding and patching with unofficial patches to even make playable.