Hive King

Celestia has more the more powerful magic, as she can control the movements of the sun and moon easily, while the one time Luna raises the sun, she struggles heavily. Luna has more combat experience, though; she assists her guards on their nightly patrol protecting Equestria from the things that go bump in the night. Without knowing the extent of Celestia's versatility vs Luna's ability, though, it's a coin toss.

Yes, exactly.  Celestia has the power, while Luna has the skill.  

I really like this thought.
<---

"Life is not about success or making others happy, but about being happy in the process" - Plato's Pony

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

"Night.  Fear and Darkness in one sense.  Peace and Tranquility in another" - Plato's Pony

@,

Luna was rotting on the Moon for a thousand years with no way to get stronger or weaker. No, in skill, she's not going to match, 1,000 years of practice 

• Brohoof 1

"Aren’t we the same? You know, aren’t you carrying the same mindset as I am? Just because you couldn’t bear to lose, you lost your precious partner! You really call yourself a true duelist? You’re the complete opposite of that!" -Weevil Underwood

@,

Luna was rotting on the Moon for a thousand years with no way to get stronger or weaker. No, in skill, she's not going to match, 1,000 years of practice 

Practice doing what, exactly? Going by what we have, Luna has been working with the night guards since she got back, so two or three years at least. What has Celestia been doing since then? She hasn't exactly done any fighting outside of the events that occurred with the magical comet in the Chrysalis arc...

Still, you may have a point. Celestia was an avid flier; she commonly got into races with the leader of the Pegasus tribe, and the wonderbolts saw fit to take note of her flight patterns(It's been a long time, though...). She was also an avid reader, so she has the benefit of the magical versatility of her library. Luna detested reading, so she's unlikely to have access to as large of a library as spells. Celestia should know at least every spell Twilight Sparkle knows.

So it's Celestia:

Magical versatility

Magical "strength"

Flying ability

General intelligence

vs

Luna:

Combat experience

Aggressiveness(not really a factor here)

@,

Luna hasn't done any fighting either though, has she? 

I still loathe the comics in general, so it's a moot point, for me at least. Even if Luna has more combat experience, she missed out on a 1,000 years of magic improvement(we know new spells can be made)

• Brohoof 1

"Aren’t we the same? You know, aren’t you carrying the same mindset as I am? Just because you couldn’t bear to lose, you lost your precious partner! You really call yourself a true duelist? You’re the complete opposite of that!" -Weevil Underwood

@,

Luna hasn't done any fighting either though, has she? 

I still loathe the comics in general, so it's a moot point, for me at least. Even if Luna has more combat experience, she missed out on a 1,000 years of magic improvement(we know new spells can be made)

post-28184-0-43690300-1415145945_thumb.png

Her nightly duties involve patrolling an area at least between Canterlot and the Everfree(she mentions a forest) every night, and protecting that area. I think that at least entails some combat experience.

And your distaste for the comics doesn't really matter here; they're considered canon by Hasbro. If you wanted to leave them out, you should probably mention that at the beginning of your next match-up, but just rejecting the fact they exist doesn't work.

And combat experience and magical ability are two different things. I already admitted Celestia should have the edge in magical diversity and ability, but it's more likely Luna knows how to fight.

• Brohoof 1

Luna, with ease. Celestia controls the sun and the day. Luna controls the moon and the night sky.

The night sky = space.

Luna controls space.

Stars are part of space.

So Luna controls stars.

The sun is a star.

Thus, Luna can also control the sun.

She can also call upon the Nightmare Forces to aid her and transform her into Nightmare Moon, which makes her totally powerful. She was also able to seal Celestia in some ditch for the first two episodes.

Edited by Shift

Have the courage to think and act on your own. And have the courage to disobey.

Her nightly duties involve patrolling an area at least between Canterlot and the Everfree(she mentions a forest) every night, and protecting that area. I think that at least entails some combat experience.

Does she have any trouble with them? Because just smashing a weak threat doesn't get you combat experience.

And your distaste for the comics doesn't really matter here; they're considered canon by Hasbro. If you wanted to leave them out, you should probably mention that at the beginning of your next match-up, but just rejecting the fact they exist doesn't work.

I'm probably going to add

"THE COMICS NEVER HAPPENED"

to my sig at some point

Luna, with ease. Celestia controls the sun and the day. Luna controls the moon and the night sky.   The night sky = space.   Luna controls space.   Stars are part of space.   So Luna controls stars.   The sun is a star.   Thus, Luna can also control the sun.

You're thinking logically, MLP isn't logical. If it was, their planet would implode when they move the Sun around, unless their Sun is tiny.

Fact is that Celestia was able to do Luna's duties for 1,000 years with no problem

She can also call upon the Nightmare Forces to aid her and transform her into Nightmare Moon, which makes her totally powerful.

That would turn the battle into Celestia vs Nightmare Moon and again, Luna can't just turn into Nightmare Moon at will. If she did, don't you think she'd keep the form up at all times during the Canterlot Wedding? For security?

Unless you are going to argue that it makes her lose her mind, in which case transforming is to her disadvantage, since Celestia won't be holding back this time

She was also able to seal Celestia in some ditch for the first two episodes.

The circumstances of that are unknown, but it was probably a cheap shot or Celestia letting her, judging by the lack of magical explosions 

• Brohoof 1

Does she have any trouble with them? Because just smashing a weak threat doesn't get you combat experience.

Considering it says "ran off", it's likely that she went through the much more difficult task of getting it to leave rather than outright vaporizing it, which would still take some combat knowledge,especially if she had guards with her.

Luna is my favorite character but that's a terrible reason to form a conclusion to this question though. Celestia has shown time to time again that she is more fit to handle and succeed difficult situations both mentally and physically. Luna is still in that process of re-evaluation and growth with her princess title and in many ways weaker and more likely to succumb to difficulty.

Considering it says "ran off", it's likely that she went through the much more difficult task of getting it to leave rather than outright vaporizing it, which would still take some combat knowledge,especially if she had guards with her.

Again though, she could simply scare it away with her Nightmare Moon trick. Or maybe she engaged it in physical combat. We can't know because there aren't enough details

Again though, she could simply scare it away with her Nightmare Moon trick. Or maybe she engaged it in physical combat. We can't know because there aren't enough details

If you're implying she's gone out every night for at least a year, patrolled a good portion of Equestria, and hasn't gotten into a single fight... you're stretching just a little.

• Brohoof 1

If you're implying she's gone out every night for at least a year, patrolled a good portion of Equestria, and hasn't gotten into a single fight... you're stretching just a little.

I'm saying she hasn't gotten into a fight she can't win in 5 seconds by levitating them and throwing them away like a rag doll. Unless alicorn tier beasties are common

I'm saying she hasn't gotten into a fight she can't win in 5 seconds by levitating them and throwing them away like a rag doll. Unless alicorn tier beasties are common

Outside of dragons(early on), and a magically boosted giant cockatrice, nope. Luna was fighting evenly with manticores before she got her cutie mark. I suppose you win this one.

• Brohoof 1

Outside of dragons(early on), and a magically boosted giant cockatrice, nope. Luna was fighting evenly with manticores before she got her cutie mark. I suppose you win this one.

About the dragons, I'm not sure if it's them being idiots or if it's just power, but Garble didn't care about Celestia at all

full.jpg

• Brohoof 1

About the dragons, I'm not sure if it's them being idiots or if it's just power, but Garble didn't care about Celestia at all

full.jpg

Probably idiots as the whole point of the teenage dragons was to be portrayed as people holding contempt for girls toys (ponies in this case) as Lauren Faust's panel at Equestria LA confirmed. Not to mention the FIM's dragons are nearly featless.

Probably idiots as the whole point of the teenage dragons was to be portrayed as people holding contempt for girls toys (ponies in this case) as Lauren Faust's panel at Equestria LA confirmed. Not to mention the FIM's dragons are nearly featless.

True, but it would be hilarious if the dragons are actually more powerful. The salt would be everywhere

• Brohoof 1

True, but it would be hilarious if the dragons are actually more powerful. The salt would be everywhere

So long as the Dragons are Massive FTL fighters, I personally won't mind ;)

Edited by Nuke87654

If I said Celestia it'd really be out of my Team-Celestia bias more than anything else (All hail the pony god). To tell the truth, I feel like this could be put up for some serious debate. Luna controls the night and the stars, and Celestia's only in control of a middle-sized one. There are billions of bigger ones which Luna apparently controls, which must take a heck of a lot more power (That is unless season 6 gives us a plot twist where Twilight's cutiemark is actually about the starts...). Celestia never actually beat Luna in a fight. She beat Nightmare Moon, and even then it was a thousand-year banishment with the help of the Elements. So by that logic she didn't actually beat Nightmare Moon either, did she? The Elements did it. ...Twice.

But then Celestia's about 30% taller and wasn't trapped on the moon for a thousand years, so she's probably a lot tougher now. (Not tough enough for Chrysalis, but that's a different discussion.) So I'm gonna say the chances are 50/50.

• Brohoof 1

href="/monthly_02_2014/post-8308-0-69609200-1393191794.png">post-8308-0-69609200-1393191794.png

Yeah, I'm gonna call it a 50/50.  We don't know enough about Luna and Celestia's true power, nor their fighting skill.

"Life is not about success or making others happy, but about being happy in the process" - Plato's Pony

"Only the dead have seen the end of war" - Plato

"Night.  Fear and Darkness in one sense.  Peace and Tranquility in another" - Plato's Pony

As to raw power, it is hard to say.  The 1 time they fought, PC wasn't trying.  She won because she could partially access the Elements of Harmony & L didn't (maybe, as Nightmare Moon, she COULDN'T?  They both used them to beat Discord, so she must have known their power.  (Maybe they depend on friendship/love & being full of jealousy, she was blocked?  Just a thought))

I'd say PC has more knowledge, but that is not the same as power. 

To throw in a totally new thought, I'd say in 100 years or so, Twilight could kick both their asses put together.