Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Martial artists?

Kel_Grym

Not the combat shooting i saw. there was  knife with gun being used together(think  call of duty) CQB, and common world use of the techniques(like how to use a fire extinguisher as a anti dog and human weapon). there is more to combat  shooting than just shooting. 

Those were my words, but not my point. Combat shooting is not treated as a holistic aspect of life. Martial arts are something you carry with you always, whether you "need" them or not. The philosophy of your style(s) is internalized into what can potentially be a form of spirituality.

While combat shooting instills a mindset, any greater purpose beyond surviving the supposed encounter is an attached precept. Experimenting with different weapons and dimensions of an encounter is an aspect of martial arts, but it's not the purpose, with combat shooting it is. As I said, a martial science rather than a martial art.

there are many way to use it. the person i learned from we use for blocking and as a 2nd weapon.

That is pretty cool I have to admit. I don't own a real weapon, just a bokken so I wasn't sure if the scabbard was sturdy enough to be used that way. 

Edited by Steel Accord

I have been in martial arts since I was six, I started out on Karate, then onto Tae Kwon Do, now I am in mixed martial arts, like Jeet Kune Do, I have learned Wing Chun, Hapkido and Krav Maga, I learned each style individually, and I know how to combine the movies from each martial art, and to have my own style, like Bruce Lee to have no technique.

• Brohoof 2

That is pretty cool I have to admit. I don't own a real weapon, just a bokken so I wasn't sure if the scabbard was sturdy enough to be used that way.

our sheaths were ray skin coverd metals ones . For the most part most sheaths you buy are not sturdy enough for that. useing a sheath like that i kind of "i am bout to lose my head" use.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

How did I not notice this topic sooner?!

Let's see...

Well, when I was a kid I spent a brief stint at a school that is not worth mentioning and in hindsight is best I dropped out due to laziness and being a prideful little "white-washed sepulcher" as a kid. Because, the term "belt factory" comes to mind, and would have just given me very poor technique and even more of an ego than when I joined. But moving on...

The school I attend teaches Chinese Martial arts and offers three programs; I trained in the first two for a bit but moved on eventually settling on the third program offered because it holds the most interest to me. A bit like the undergrad who switches majors a few times within his first two years of college before s/he finally say, "Wait a sec, I really like subject 'X' and should major in that!". Anyway, the programs are 1 ) a style of kung fu incorperating five animal style as well as other things, reffered commonly at the school by the name 'Wujido' ( yes, 'Do' is a Japanese term meaning 'way' I know; so that is actually not the full name but rather a shortened version of the proper Chinese name which is rather long and hard for Americans to remember).

2. Yang-Style Taijiquan (aka Tai Chi); which I still have a fondness for, can likely brush off my skills and remember the forms I was taught; but had to quite unfortunately because the third program is very demanding; and I found myself unable to continue learning both at the same time ( became like the proverb about trying to catch two hares).

3. ( And this is the style I have settled on attempting to learn as much as I can) Wujiquan which is a very old battlefield kung fu; the "closest" thing to it would be a style known as Xingyiquan. Sounds a bit hokey perhaps, but suffice it to say if you ever met my Master in person ( Gentleman in his 60's, been training since about age 20), and if his very matter of fact, sincere nature didn't speak loud enough for you; the skill of those who have trained under him for a few years would be proof enough.

And by the way, has anyone ever watched the documentary "Needle Through Brick" ? It's a low budget independent documentary, made about Traditional kung-fu, and is one of the few documentaries I know of that has the sense to just interview various Kung Fu Masters and let them and their demonstrations of their techniques speak; instead of some blasted narrator.  

• Brohoof 1

Those were my words, but not my point. Combat shooting is not treated as a holistic aspect of life. Martial arts are something you carry with you always, whether you "need" them or not. The philosophy of your style(s) is internalized into what can potentially be a form of spirituality. While combat shooting instills a mindset, any greater purpose beyond surviving the supposed encounter is an attached precept. Experimenting with different weapons and dimensions of an encounter is an aspect of martial arts, but it's not the purpose, with combat shooting it is. As I said, a martial science rather than a martial art.
If I'm not mistaken, in some of the traditional schools of Japanese Martial arts ( Bujutsu as opposed to Budo which is "modern" i.e. styles founded after 1860 CE roughly; I mean no disrespect to practitioners of styles such as Karate-Do, Judo, and so forth, as I greatly respect them) part of the syllabus did include training in firearms. And I would argue that any martial arts will find their roots in groups of professional warriors learning certain skills with the intention of winning. As an example the schools of Bujutsu were founded by Warriors for Warriors. Granted I'm sure most of these were founded by honorable warriors, but they would have been practical ones as well ( one had to survive long enough to found a school in those days after all). The various styles of Budo and their Chinese counterparts ( which would include most schools of Chinese Kung Fu that have survived into the modern era), while very effective for Civilian use were by and large by Civilians and for Civilians; or by those of the Warrior class in times of Peace.

I'm sure you must have been struck by the immensely practical approach the German Longsword takes; I had the honor of being on the receiving end of some techniques once, and was impressed by the very direct no-nonsense attitude the techniques demonstrated. I think there are two extremes one should avoid. One is to divorce Martial Arts from the context and purpose they were developed from, thus losing the Martial aspect; the other would be to degrade them into simple Pragmatism, thus losing the art (in a sense). I would dare say it is just as much a Science as an Art.

Thus, I have no problem saying that someone who endures the rigors of say, Sniper training and continues to develop all the skills that entails ( of which are many), is probably far closer to a Warrior of yore who founded a school of martial arts; than many modern practitioners of Martial Arts. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I took Tae Kwon Do for a while when I was younger, but I stopped going after I reached green belt. 

I'd like to practice Kung Fu. I know there are ninjutsu places around, and even though the art has been changed and the secrets of it are mostly lost or warped, I'd still like to learn what I can. 

I took Tae Kwon Do for a while when I was younger, but I stopped going after I reached green belt. 

I'd like to practice Kung Fu. I know there are ninjutsu places around, and even though the art has been changed and the secrets of it are mostly lost or warped, I'd still like to learn what I can. 

Finding a good Martial Arts school is definitely tricky business. Due to a number of factors but the biggest one being, you don't know (assuming you ever find out) if your being trained by someone who is qualified or not just trying to swindle you, until you've been training under them for a number of years and find yourself in a situation where you have to use it against a trained opponent either on the street (if you were attacked or something) or in a match against someone from a different school (or a trained boxer for that matter). Obviously this gives 'learning the hard way' a very dangerous spin.

However finding a decent school isn't impossible although, you might end up in a situation where you can only learn the forms and techniques from someone but have to find someone else to teach you their purpose and application. Tai Chi is a perfect example of this, as you generally find someone that can teach you the basic forms without much difficulty, but finding someone who has a clue as to how use the style in a combat situation is very rare. They either have no concept of Tai Chi as an actual 'martial art' or when faced with a simple jab, their technique... flat out sucks for lack of a better term.

So here is my advice:

for a Japanese martial art, I would try to find a Judo, Jujutsu, Karate, Kenjutsu, or something similiar (I'm very 'iffy' about Ninjutsu to be frank; as everything I've read and seen of it makes me think that someone a few centuries ago just stole some techniques and forms from Samurai [who sometimes would get training in Espionage or stealth, depending on the school], then proceeded to make everything very esoteric sounding to play on the common folks fears) in a school that has a direct lineage leading back to Japan or is affiliated with a traditional ryu. As this means you can be more confident in the level of training you will receive and reputable Japanese martial arts schools might be able to direct you to someplace where you can further your training.

Chinese martial arts on the other hand.... it's a nightmare ( in an earlier post I mentioned a documentary called 'Needle through Brick', you can find it online and even watch it for free still I think, but it provides a good summary of the situation of tradition Kung-Fu), because between the Japanese occupation, and the Cultural Revolution, Kung-Fu was almost wiped out. This means that their are very few individuals, even in mainland China, that are qualified practitioners or that teach an actual system of martial arts that isn't simply a syllabus of forms approved by a group of officials that is made up of kung-fu stances, done in a way that are no longer useful for combat, and then a bunch of very flowery acrobatic movements that are useless as a martial art. Their are some legitimate schools out their, although the best teacher you could find would probably be some person, who literally just operates out of their garage, backyard, or a park. For the softer or internal styles ( e.g. Tai chi, Bagua-zhang, xingyi-quan) you might be able to find at least a school that will teach you the orthodox forms, although you likely have to continue training elsewhere, but at least you will know the basic forms which is a big step.

I know I sound super negative, just don't want you (or anyone else here) to be one of the many who devotes years of their lives and enormous sums of money to learn from a hack. If you want some help or are looking at something in particular, I can do my best to help (although I am by no means an expert, but I'm better at spotting something fishy than many I suspect), so feel free to send me a PM if you'd like. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I practice Songham Taekwondo as a member of the American Taekwondo Association. I've been doing taekwondo since I was around 8 years old, possibly younger, so I've been doing it for at least 10 years. I achieved the rank of 3rd degree black belt decided in April 2012 if I remember correctly, which is the highest rank you're allowed to have as a minor.

I'm old enough to test for 4th degree black belt decided now, but I don't feel like I'm ready for the next level of material yet. I'm actually only starting to get down some of the harder moves we learn at the 3rd degree level. I also haven't done all of my midterm testings yet, because I have high expectations for myself and I just haven't met them yet.

• Brohoof 2

I practice Songham Taekwondo as a member of the American Taekwondo Association. I've been doing taekwondo since I was around 8 years old, possibly younger, so I've been doing it for at least 10 years. I achieved the rank of 3rd degree black belt decided in April 2012 if I remember correctly, which is the highest rank you're allowed to have as a minor.

I'm old enough to test for 4th degree black belt decided now, but I don't feel like I'm ready for the next level of material yet. I'm actually only starting to get down some of the harder moves we learn at the 3rd degree level. I also haven't done all of my midterm testings yet, because I have high expectations for myself and I just haven't met them yet.

It's better that you know your limits than try for something you aren't prepared for. 

Imagine a mountain so tall that it goes beyond the clouds. A climber thinks it will only take three days to reach the peak just beyond those clouds so he brings three days worth of oxygen. Once he goes past the clouds though, he realizes that the mountain is much taller, he just couldn't see the true height of the challenge. And he's on his last tank.

You're in a good place right now.

80899-I-fear-not-the-man-who-has-pra-jNr