Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

(Accepting) Equestria: 1955

Mand'alor Dash

The mare turned the page in her newsprint. "They say it's only gonna get woise," she surmised, "Seems like every day, another of those guys turns up dead. Just a week ago, they found one strapped to the Hearth's Warming decorations in the town square."

Not wanting to scare the young zebra, she turned to him and said comfortingly, "Hey, you look like a good kid. You'll be safe, alright?"

@@Mand'alor Dash,

"Don't worry, ma'am. I wasn't asked to join the Semi for no reason. And I heard about that. When my boss found out about it he felt sorry for the kids that had found the body.  Kids shouldn't be exposed to things like that. And it sounds like the work of the Lucini family. They were always ruthless and their Don is a real bastard. Pardon my Prench."

A month has passed since the incident in the salon. It could have gone alot worse than it did, if certain parties had not been so proactive in preventing violence. Officer Bronzebadge has since been promoted to Chief of Police in Manehattan, and the unicorn's still about as far from an honest cop as you could get. He may not be happy about the Semi family, but they keep their end of the deal. As far as he's concerned, the families can kill each other all they want. It's no consequence to him. Every Ferrini found hanging from the holiday lights is one less Ferrini that Bronzebadge has to contend with.

And now, that the investigators just pulled a Ferrini out from three feet of snow and thawed out his bludgeoned face enough to get an identification, the Chief has a bit of paperwork to fill out. Lighting a cigarette, he cracks open a new bottle of cider, turns the radio up, and gets to work.

But, just as he was about to finish his glass of cider, his phone picks the perfect time to ring.

"Just as I was enjoying my day." He switches off the radio and levitates the phone over to his ear. "Chief Bronzebadge," he says, "This had better be official business."

A familiar voice accosted the chief's ear, "Not exactly."

"Oh Goddesses, not you..." Bronzebadge replied, trying not to fall out of his chair. He refills his glass of cider. "I did my part. Now you leave me alone to run my damn police force. I could run you feathered fucks all the way out of Equestria any time I want. It's best not to antagonize me."

The voice, a male griffon, eased the public servant's fears, "Relax, chief. This ain't got nothin' to do with you. Tomorrow afternoon, on the Manehattan skyway, it's been arranged that Don Ferrini will have a little accident. Now don't worry, you don't have to pull the trigger or nothin', just open up a little window. Between the hours of 3:30 and 4:00 PM, the boss wants every squad car to be anywhere else. Whether it's the highway patrol, the EBI, or the fuckin' coast guard. I don't care. That highway needs to be clean. Do this for us, and by the day's end, you'll have one less crime family causing trouble for your boys. And that's a promise."

Bronzebadge, thinking ahead to how great re-election would be, reluctantly agrees. "Give him one between the eyes for me."

As the promised time approaches, we turn our story to the humble Pegasus Zephyr...

Boredom had become an increasing issue for Zephyr ever since her and her brothers had all went their separate ways. It seemed that her life had fallen into a rut; wake up, deliver mail, and then pass the time until she could fall asleep again. It was a bad case of too much free time. All her friends had already gone off to fancy colleges across Equestria, leaving Zephyr to lonely wander the busy streets and skyways of big city Manehattan. 'At least this is better than sitting in some stuffy academy learning about algebra' she thought as she continued her lazy flight.

Another pegasus, a stallion likely fresh out of high school, flew to join Zephyr in flight.

"This seat taken?" the young buck asked. He was panting fairly heavily, as if he had been flying at top speed mere moments before. "You know, uh. I... really like flying too. It's one of my passions. Yeah."

As the promised time approaches, we turn our story to the humble Pegasus Zephyr...

((I should probably mention that while Zephyr is a lot of things, humble is not one of them.))

@@Mand'alor Dash

"I would say so. So are you trying to score a date or did you just jet all the way over here to tell me how much you liked flying?" Zephyr asked accusingly. It had been a long time since any stallion had started a conversation with her without the end goal of getting into her bed, to say it had made her a little defensive would be an understatement. 

"Oh, you know, that second one," the stallion stammers. He attempts recovery, "I'll tell you, I am all about that flight. It's the good old Equestrian past time. I don't mean to brag or nothin', but I've clocked it. I can fly at about 60 miles per hour on a good day. Faster than any other Pegasus I know."

@@HunterTSN

Malachi, Zubs and Sammy were taking another walk around the neighborhood, which they started doing once in a while. They sometimes take different roads and allies to get a better fill of the the place. The sometimes take the same roots to say hello to some of they ponies they got to know. Even though the first time they took their walk it wasn't so pleasant. As the want down the sidewalk where Malachi lost his cool, Zubs looked towards the salon where he got his haircut. 

Even though the stallion wouldn't let Malachi inside, he was grateful that he took care of Zubs.  Zubs was also grateful because he never hat his mane cut by a professional before. Usually his mother would do it for him. Zubs noticed that his mane was starting to getting a little longer and could use a trim. "Hey boss, you think we could stop off at the salon? My mane starting to get mopy again." Malachi shrugged. "Sure, Zubs." Malachi gave him a bag of bits. "Me and Sammy will be at the soda shop." Malachi pat his back and head off with Sammy.

Zubs walked towards and poked his head though the door to the salon. "Uh, hello. By chance could I get a trim?" He said with a friendly smile.

@@Mand'alor Dash,

Zephyr smile to herself, she was going to have fun with this.

"Only 60? My last stallion broke 75 on a slow day and still couldn't keep up, I just don't think a little colt like you could compare... Unless you're willing to prove yourself that is" she said, masking an evil grin behind her best doe-eyes.

@@Gloomfury

"Why of course darling. Come and have a seat" Vibrant said as he lead Zubie to one of the many mirrors and threw the barbers cape around the Zebra's shoulders. "How have you been lately, not getting into trouble I hope" he said as he began to meticulously work on Zubs' mane.

Edited by HunterTSN

@@HunterTSN,

"75?!" The stallion was visibly shocked. To him, at least, that kind of speed out of a mare seemed almost impossible. So impossible that it simply had to be a bluff.

"How about you put your... or maybe... my money where your mouth is. I'll race you from here to the highway, and if I win, I'll buy you dinner and a movie. You win, I'll uh... what is it you want?"

@@HunterTSN,

Zubs chuckled. "No more then usual. A few fights, loan collecting, roughing up some of the punk gangs shaking down store owners for protection money." He shrugged. "But all and all it hasn't been all bad. Our crews rep is really starting to curry weight now. Which in turn makes our Don look good."

@@Gloomfury,

"You know I wish you all wouldn't fight so much, still I'm glad to hear things our looking up" Vibrant sighed as he continued to work a comb through Zubs' mane. "So tell me how a colt like you wound up in the mob anyway?

@@Mand'alor Dash,

"If I win you can buy me dinner and a movie and then cut out so I can actually enjoy them, how's that sound?" Zephyr said as she crossed her hooves and smirked confidently.

• Brohoof 1

@@HunterTSN,

"Oho, so that's the way it goes," the colt said, boastfully, "At first, I thought I was being selfish trying to land you. Now, it seems more like a public service to get you facing the right direction."

He stretched out his wings, and took a spot on the starting line. "On three..."

"One," he began, licking his lips nervously.

"Two..."

@@HunterTSN,

"Well, about a year or two ago, I was being hassled but a group of ponies. Nothing I wasn't use to already, but as time went on the hassling got more... violent.  It started with eggs being thrown at my house, slashing my dads tires to his car,  threatening phone calls ... following my sister around, making threats to hurt her if me and my family didn't leave the neighborhood." He started to shake with anger a little. "But one day, I had enough. I wondered though the streets and allies hoping to get the attention of the the ponies hassling us.

To my luck it didn't take long. About nine of them followed me to an allies with a lot of blind spots. They though because there were more of them and one of me that they had the upper hand. But the were wrong. Before my granddad passed he taught me how to fight. He use to be a rebel fighter back in Zebraka when he was younger. He knew a lot 'bout guerrilla warfare. See he taught me how to fight against more then one opponent.

It was along fight, I got hurt pretty badly but I still won. During the fight we made a good bit of ruckus. Which got the attention of my Boss. Seeing as he loves a good fight. When he found me, bloody and bused I thought he was going to take it as an advantage to beat on a Zebra for kicks. But all he did was smile at me and offered me a drink and a job. And from there I got my rep up here my family can live in peace now. And I don't regret joining at all."

• Brohoof 1

@@Gloomfury

VIbrant listened solemnly as Zubie told his story, his eyes growing moist and his hooves continuing to quietly work away at the zebra's mane is if relying solely on muscle memory.

"Your boss is a good pony, even if I don't agree with his way of doing things" the stylist finally spoke. "It's such a shame how ponies like us can't even walk the streets of our home without hateful glares and threats of violence" Vibrant paused for a moment before setting down the comb and scissors, "well it would seem that I'm done here, anything else you need hun?"

@@Mand'alor Dash

Zephyr was no stranger to races and as soon as the hotshot colt reached 3 she was off. For a while the two flew neck to neck, however while the colt was starting to show signs of fatigue and exhaustion Zeph was merely pacing herself, saving the reserves of her energy for the last stretch of the race. Finally the highway came into view and Zephyr pulled ahead with ease, giving the tired colt one last wink before leaving him far in her wake.

Edited by HunterTSN

@@HunterTSN,

Zubs froze slightly when Vibrant said 'ponies like 'us'. He looked up to the stallion with a questioning look, even though he kinda knew what he meant. "I... Um. No, I guess not." He took off the cape, places it on the chair and turned around to face the stallion. "Um, thanks for the trim," He said, looking in the mirror with a small smile. "It's looks good." He faced the stallion again. "How much do I owe you?"

@@Gloomfury

"Please, I'm not going to run out of bits any time soon, besides I barely had to do anything but comb it for you. It's on the house" Vibrant said, waving the zebra off. "Just be sure to come back next time you need a trim okay? Actually there is something I need to give you before you go" the stylist added as he took a pen and a strip of paper out of his apron pocket. "This is my number, next time you want come by make reservation before showing up. It get's full in here some days and I'd hate to have to turn you away."

Edited by HunterTSN

@@HunterTSN,

Zubs took the slip of paper and read over the number and name. "Vibrant." He said under his breath. He looked up at the stallion with the same small smile. "Sure thing." He said as he placed his flat cap back on. "Thanks again. Oh, and my name's Zubie, but everyone calls me Zubs." He hold a friendly hoof out to the stallion for him to shake.

@@HunterTSN,

The colt shouted ahead, "Hey! No! Get back here!"

As hard as he tried, he just wasn't strong enough to catch up with her. Zephyr won the race by a mile. There she stood, victoriously hovering a mile above the Manehattan Skyway, waiting patiently to taunt the loser.

But there was a problem. He was nowhere to be seen. Normally, this would mean he was trying to skip out on paying his bet, but this time something was off. Something about where she was hovering was not safe.

@@Mand'alor Dash,

'Well that's funny' Zephyr thought, the abnormal desolation of the highway distracting her from the race. 'That skyway is almost always packed at this time of day... Oh well, must be closed for something, now where did that damned colt fly off to anyway? He owes me.'

@@Gloomfury

Vibrant smiled warmly as he took the zebra's hoof in his own and shook it.

"Well I can't say I'm not look forward to the next time you're in need of a trim Zubs, you work on trying to grow that mane out as quickly as possible for me all right?" the stylist said with a sly wink before heading off to prepare for the next customer.

Edited by HunterTSN
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@HunterTSN,

With a hiss and a shriek, the colt rammed into Zephyr at full speed, sending them both careening into the side of an apartment building, where they crashed through the window, and into somepony's (empty) living room. As the colt opened his mouth to attack her throat, Zephyr noticed the sharp pair of fangs he had corralled in with the rest of his teeth. He was a Changeling.

Changelings don't normally attack their prey outright. They usually prey on them slowly, and over time. This one was different.

Beside Zephyr, there was a slightly ajar closet door, a broken lamp, and a recliner, flipped on its side. The Changeling readied its attack. Zephyr had only moments to defend herself.

Whoever owned the apartment, they had left the radio on.

((OOC: I know I promised you Jazz, Gloomfury, but this song was just too fitting. xD I'll give you Jazz next time! You have my word! How's Louis Armstrong sound to you?))

Edited by Mand'alor Dash
  • Brohoof 1

@@Mand'alor Dash

"Oh you are SO not getting that date" Zephyr muttered as she kicked out with her hind legs, her hooves catching the chitinous creature in the chest and hurling it across the room. Taking advantage of the situation Zephyr opened her powerful wings and shot out of the broken window. She may not have been a scholar, but Zephyr knew enough about flight to realize that her pegasus wings were much more honed for flight than the changeling's gossamer ones. If she could draw it out of the house she would have a clear advantage. "Come and get me ya dirty bug!" she taunted.

• Brohoof 1

@@HunterTSN,

((OOC: I was not expecting that at all. Fricken' inspired!))

But the Changeling did not follow. Zeph's kick had knocked him harder than she had first thought. Even at her distance, Zephyr caught the unmistakable sound of two ponies shouting at each other from inside that same apartment. The Changeling gave them a hiss, but was silenced by another equally unmistakable noise:

Gunfire. One of the ponies walked over to the window, revealing that he was not a pony at all. He a was a Griffon, and with the gun still in his talons, he peaked outside of the window, presumably to check if the Changeling had any friends. He was wearing a full MHPD uniform, badge and hat included.

Spotting Zephyr in the sky, he shouted up at her "Ma'am, do you know anything about this Changeling?"

@@Mand'alor Dash,

"Yeah, the freakin' bug was trying to get me on a date, I guess he must of gotten a bit desperate when I made him work for it" Zephyr growled before realizing that the griffon was probably the owner of the house she'd just trashed, also he was apparently a police officer... "Uhh, sorry about the window, I swear the bug made me do it!"

Edited by HunterTSN

@@HunterTSN,

"Don't worry, miss, I'm just glad that you're safe. Listen, you don't want to be in this area. Changelings, they uh..." the officer stammered, "They attack in groups. Fly over to the police station over on 5th and Mane, they'll keep you safe there, I promise."

Something was off about the Griffon. Zephyr had never seen a cop carrying an automatic weapon before. Not on patrol, anyway. Immediately east the apartment building, there was a bank about three stories taller, and whose roof overlooked both the apartment building, and the suspiciously quiet skyway. A perfect nest for the curious. Due west, on the other hoof, was the police station.

There was a choice to be made.