Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Ska Punk Collab Experience

idkQuicksilver

Hey guys, 

Just wanted wanted to share the song me and VaceslaV made. I had a blast making this! Even with the time zone difference (I live in the US Eastern Standard time zone while he lives in Australia where they're 15 hours ahead of me) I think that the collab went very smoothly and turned out quite well! 

Any feedback is appreciated.

Lyric Video:

Thanks for checking this out!

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Pretty cool, though I would have added some horns if I could.  How did the collab process actually work?

Yeah the thumbnail is kind of misleading lol. If we could've gotten some real horns it would have been cool.

Hmm as far as the collab process went:

-Vaceslav hit me up to do some ska/alternative stuff so I showed him some chord progressions I was messing with.

-He used the chord progressions to make one of the most chill reggae bass lines I've ever heard (his bassline is the one in the verses). So with that bassline I added a rhythm guitar and synth to get the verse done

-After we got a verse done I made a rough draft of the intro into the first verse (with a few simple drum beats, nothing too fancy)

-The intro minus the lead guitar kinda became the chorus by changing the rhythm and timing of the guitars.

-After we got some music done, Vaceslav told me he had some lyrics written that he could make fit, so while he was tracking some vocals I began messing with basslines on my end.

-If I was up and he wasn't I'd be working on cleaning up the instrumentation, wheras If I was asleep he'd be working on the vocals and lyrics

-I'd either be up late or he'd be up late so we could bounce ideas off each other, it was fun though  :yay:

-we'd just share our progress on the song through file hosting websites like mediafire and dropbox, it was pretty painless

so to summarize

-Get an idea, start with rough takes and brainstorm, Communicate, if the ideas stick, you continue to polish the project while getting feedback from the person(s) you're collabing with. Communication is key

Edited by idkQuicksilver
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

sweet i'd want to do some colabs what software do you guys use?

Me and Vacelav both use Ableton Live. Ableton isn't usually used for rock music, but it's really handy when you want to use real and virtual instruments (Plus it has a bunch of great sounding built in effects!). 

Edit: Thank you for subscribing!  ^_^

Edited by idkQuicksilver