Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Monster Hunter Club

Panne

Still the one charge blade here, Trying to beat the ship boss now. 

The one where the Mangala attacks the boat in the thunder storm. I swear talk about cinematic and atmospheric, that fight even though it was relatively short for me was awesome.

Aside from the fair amount clones and reskins, lack of Lagiacrus, and still unskippable cutscenes...very satisfied with MH4U after coming back from a break after MHP3. Welp, back to the grindfest

The one where the Mangala attacks the boat in the thunder storm. I swear talk about cinematic and atmospheric, that fight even though it was relatively short for me was awesome.

I got my flank handed to me. I didn't even move a step before getting virus'ed. First quest fail as well. 

Hopefully I'll be upgrading the Defenders Blade soon. 

Wow, you guys are progressing fast. I'm at 32 hours, and I'm still HR1. But I may have accidentally left the game running for some of those hours...

That said, I'm putting a lot of focus in the singleplayer mode right now, so that might explain my lack of HR progress. I'm hoping to get far enough to be able to trade for Nargacuga parts first, so I can make its armor since I love evasion skills. Right now I'm partway though the level 4 village quests.

Nearly have a full set of Gore Magala trophy armor as well as my Gore Magala insect glaive and charge blade. Only need a few more shells as well as some lesser monster hides and then I will have all the armor. Also, 41 hours and hunter rank 3 over here.

I've just been blessed with an Attack+4 talisman. I don't think I'm supposed to have access to Attack Up L this early in the game, but thanks to Velocidrome armor, that talisman, and three attack jewels, I've got it. :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 1

I've just been blessed with an Attack+4 talisman. I don't think I'm supposed to have access to Attack Up L this early in the game, but thanks to Velocidrome armor, that talisman, and three attack jewels, I've got it. :fluttershy:

3fcf7e65ccb6faad33ff5af71c30d5084564b93f

I'm going with lucky bastard...

• Brohoof 1

3fcf7e65ccb6faad33ff5af71c30d5084564b93f

I'm going with lucky bastard...

I think 'lucky bastard' is far more accurate. Especially since I just got an another one which is an exact duplicate of it, which is completely unnecessary since you can only equip one at a time. :yay:

post-27784-0-00763500-1424267055.jpg

I gotta know, is there a real name for the buff you get with the insect glaive when you get the red, white, and orange buffs from the monster? Because I've just been calling it "Spectrum Charge"

Edited by Yarne

I'm hr6 now, full pink rathy armour, took ALL %^&* DAY to get TWO rubies for the set! >_<

ALSO:

for those that don't know. "Guild Quests" you get from fighting monsters on expeditions are useful for getting gear.

For example:

Kut-Ku will drop basic parts while the quest is lv1-30

level the the quest (by completing it) and at lv31 the Kut Ku drops High Rank parts and at 51 drops g-class parts.

I used this to get Infernal Sacs easier as its easier to kill a kut-ku than a Rathian XD

Edited by Malinter

I'm hr6 now, full pink rathy armour, took ALL %^&* DAY to get TWO rubies for the set! >_<

ALSO:

for those that don't know. "Guild Quests" you get from fighting monsters on expeditions are useful for getting gear.

For example:

Kut-Ku will drop basic parts while the quest is lv1-30

level the the quest (by completing it) and at lv31 the Kut Ku drops High Rank parts and at 51 drops g-class parts.

I used this to get Infernal Sacs easier as its easier to kill a kut-ku than a Rathian XD

Someone that actually knows what he is doing... I still am like punch monster till it gives me what I want, didn't get anything this time? punch it again!

• Brohoof 1

I finally unlocked the ability to trade for Nargacuga parts, so I can start working on my Nargacuga armor now! ... Except that for some reason, one of the pieces requires Pearl Hides, a high rank Khezu material, despite it being a low rank set. So I can't make it until I'm far into high rank, at which point it'll be rather pointless. I guess it's time to look for a new goal.

Perhaps I'll just stick with my Velocidrome set and pour all my armor stones into it. I was saving armor stones for the Nargacuga set, but now I'll abuse my lucky Attack Up L from my current set to try to quickly plow through as much of low rank as possible.

I feel like the game just said 'Sorry, but due to unforeseen circumstances we cannot get your Nargacuga armor to you at this time. We will give you two attack talismans as compensation.'

Someone that actually knows what he is doing... I still am like punch monster till it gives me what I want, didn't get anything this time? punch it again!

Whenever there's a specific part I need but I'm not getting, I always look it up here. It's very thorough and can easily help you plan out the best way to get what your looking for.

...There is no rhyme or reason to that list though... like alphabetical please.

Click where it says 'search' at the top of the page and type in what you're looking for. There's no need to search through that list.

Also, I'm pretty sure it's ordered based on how the game automatically orders your items when you use the item box's 'sort' function.

So... You stun a creature, then take either their liver or pelt, then they get up and run away like nothing happened... Well that's good for them I guess...

Anyways, looking for some advice: I'm new to Monster Hunter, new enough that green is a veteran color compared to me. I'm trying to figure out what the best weapon for me is, and so far I've been liking the Gunlance. However I want to see if anyone else has any other suggestions. A little insight to what I do, using Skyrim as an example: Heavy armor and an axe/shield combo for the best overall offense combined with a massive defense. I still have my bow skills upgraded heavily so as to keep my ranged options open, and generally try and just go haking and slashing in after whittling down a foe with arrows.

Any and all suggestions would be a great help, and happy hunting! ^^

So... You stun a creature, then take either their liver or pelt, then they get up and run away like nothing happened... Well that's good for them I guess...

Anyways, looking for some advice: I'm new to Monster Hunter, new enough that green is a veteran color compared to me. I'm trying to figure out what the best weapon for me is, and so far I've been liking the Gunlance. However I want to see if anyone else has any other suggestions. A little insight to what I do, using Skyrim as an example: Heavy armor and an axe/shield combo for the best overall offense combined with a massive defense. I still have my bow skills upgraded heavily so as to keep my ranged options open, and generally try and just go haking and slashing in after whittling down a foe with arrows.

Hey there! Welcome to Monster Hunter!

For a game like this, I believe there's no better way to find out what weapon you want to use than to just try all of them out. Early on in the game you unlock a set of training quests that teach you about each weapon, so I think that's a great way to see how each weapon works and find out which one is best for you.

Unfortunately, I haven't played Skyrim so that analogy isn't too helpful for me. Anyway, if you like to be defensive, you might want to use a weapon that can block. The weapons that can block are the Great Sword, Sword & Shield, Lance, Gunlance and Charge Blade. However, I don't use any of those weapons myself, so I'm probably not the best person to ask about those. I think the Lance and Gunlance have the ability to block attacks from the side as well as the front, while the other weapons can only block attacks from the front, but I'm not 100% certain about that.

Most weapons are made for only melee attacks or only ranged attacks, and you can't change weapons mid-hunt, so having both ranged and melee options at the same time isn't really possible. The Bow does have a melee attack where you slash with an arrow, and the Insect Glaive can hit from afar by sending the insect out, but those attacks usually do very little damage compared to the rest of the weapon's attacks, so they're quite situational and you'll still want to be in the monster's face or shooting from afar depending on your weapon usually does.

I personally use the Long Sword and the Bow, so if you have any specific questions about those weapons, I can probably help you out. I've also recently started using the Dual Blades, but I'm still learning that weapon myself so I'm not as knowledgeable about them. But if you have any questions about any other weapon, I'll still answer them as best I can.

I believe no weapon is better than any other. The best weapon is whatever weapon you enjoy using the most! So find the weapons you have the most fun with, and use them!

~snipped to avoid huge post covering entire page~

Yeah I've been playing around with the lances and, while not enjoying the block+attack combo that forces you to spear upwards I've been find the gunlance to be most effective and fun, giving me a strong wall with plenty of aggressive forces to use. Though... There is something I'd love to hear more about:

Most weapons are made for only melee attacks or only ranged attacks, and you can't change weapons mid-hunt, so having both ranged and melee options at the same time isn't really possible. The Bow does have a melee attack where you slash with an arrow, and the Insect Glaive can hit from afar by sending the insect out, but those attacks usually do very little damage compared to the rest of the weapon's attacks, so they're quite situational and you'll still want to be in the monster's face or shooting from afar depending on your weapon usually does.

What is this about sending an insect out??? I sort of ignored it (as well as the training sessions which I completely missed, and I'd have to start up a new game now cause I sold all my weapons like a moron excluding the lanes >.<") and moved on to other things...

Thanks for the warm welcome, and trust me I have plenty of questions @_@

Like the good sir 42 stated, there is no mixing range and melee in this game. It is just that each weapon is unique in it's speed, complexity of combos and damage out put. Like take the Great sword into account, it's simple it is a giant as sword that is slow, has basic combos, and does a shit tone of damage, on the inverse is the dual blades still simple with combos but it does less damage but you can move faster and hit more. I prefer the switch axe because it is simple in its combos, deals moderate damage and you move fairly quickly.

What is this about sending an insect out??? I sort of ignored it (as well as the training sessions which I completely missed, and I'd have to start up a new game now cause I sold all my weapons like a moron excluding the lanes >.<") and moved on to other things...

Just gather some material for a basic insect glaive and you'll be good.

You need:

Monster Bone S x3

Mystery Bone  x2

Iron Ore x1

Edited by Panne

Just gather some material for a basic insect glaive and you'll be good.

You need:

Monster Bone S x3

Mystery Bone  x2

Iron Ore x1

I was more wondering what it actually does, honestly I could build a bone (or equivalent, forget the name) glaive right now (only weapons I have are the iron and bone ones). Again, never experience these weapons, so trying to learn everything

The Insect Glaive has the ability to send out an Kinsect (that's what the insect with you is called) after the monster. And it's a ranged attacked, so you can hit the monster from far away with your Kinsect. This attack does do damage, but it's a very small amount, and it's not the main use of the attack. When the Kinsect hits a monster, it collects its 'essence', which it then brings back to you and gives you a buff depending on what essence it collected, either improved attack, defense, mobility, or a health recovery.

However, it's really funny and awesome when you kill a monster by making a bug fly into it!

The Insect Glaive has the ability to send out an Kinsect (that's what the insect with you is called) after the monster. And it's a ranged attacked, so you can hit the monster from far away with your Kinsect. This attack does do damage, but it's a very small amount, and it's not the main use of the attack. When the Kinsect hits a monster, it collects its 'essence', which it then brings back to you and gives you a buff depending on what essence it collected, either improved attack, defense, mobility, or a health recovery.

However, it's really funny and awesome when you kill a monster by making a bug fly into it!

That... Sounds quite interesting actually

I use the charge blades as my main but I'm building up gun lances as back up. 

With my name I should be using a bow but I like to get up close and personal with a heavy weapon. 

That... Sounds quite interesting actually

Problem though,,,

a.) try hitting the right part with the monster flailing around

b.) each essence is locate in a different part of the monster. (head,tail,body)

b2.) each location fr each essence is unique for each monster. one monster's head gives you attack, well this different monster' head gives speed. Have fun memorizing all 80+ monster with 4 different essence locations each