Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How War Really Works.

Musical-Mettaur

Unfortunately, humanity profits from war. War has stimulated technological advancement and has furthered our own civilization, while at the same time, destroying it. Warfare's impact on humanity's progress has been amazing to say the least, though now that we've discovered the power of nuclear weaponry, we risk losing everything and having to start from the beginning.

that's some MGS4 shit right there, and i have to agree,

honestly i think some countries should have a military like japans, the Japanese Self Defense Force, its not large granted, but its well trained, and its just that, a self defense force, its large enough that it could potentially keep an invading army at bay, while still being non threatening.

plus, japans the only military i know, that can do a a barrel roll and a back flip with a combat capable helicopter XD

go to 2:17 if you want to see the helicopter X3

that's some MGS4 shit right there, and i have to agree,

honestly i think some countries should have a military like japans, the Japanese Self Defense Force, its not large granted, but its well trained, and its just that, a self defense force, its large enough that it could potentially keep an invading army at bay, while still being non threatening.

plus, japans the only military i know, that can do a a barrel roll and a back flip with a combat capable helicopter XD

go to 2:17 if you want to see the helicopter X3

The JSDF is great they are pretty well armed since they are pretty much the first line of defense from any attack from asia on nato forces

oh and Americans can do flips as well lol

The Dutch and the Brits can as well.

http-~~-//youtu.be/DfeB3E-WBQk

War sucks and shouldn't happen, but it does usually due to greed. But sometimes on very rare occasions it is a necessary evil. :(

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers." ~François Fénelon

"Sometimes I think it should be a rule of war that you have to see somebody up close and get to know him before you can shoot him." ~M*A*S*H, Colonel Potter

"Never think that war, no matter how necessary, nor how justified, is not a crime." ~Ernest Hemingway

war to me is combat the fight for new land to keep old ones to get revenge on a culture war is the oppression of human rights and solders are the brave men and women who put there lifes on the line to stop it and give us freedom war has lead to the killing of alot of great ppl and some of us may have lost family to it but war need to stay a current topic because if you dont learn from your mistakes history will repete it self and thats not god im not pro war nor anti war but im pro freedom and when its time to serve i will but as for now i will honor those who gave there life so i could live mine in peace

god save the queen

"War is merely the continuation of policy by other means." - Carl von Clausewitz

Wars start for a few reasons. Land and/or resources are the main one. But sometimes they are an attempt to impose your country's rule over another (whether that's bringing democracy to the Iraqis or stopping the Vietnamese becoming communist); or even a way to distract an unhappy population from other matters closer to home (like invading the Falklands).

Religion is never the reason for war. It is often the excuse though.

iignorance is how non-religion start

The Age of Enlightenment begs to differ. Historically at least, Western organised religion has been opposed to education of the masses (no pun intended).

Edited by Pandy_C

I don't care for wars, any kind of wars, first of all I live in Iceland, we have no army... we have no reason to really, who would want to take over something that is practicly an Iceberg in the middle of the Atlantic ocean? yes - it used to be a trading route from america to Europe before and during the war but not anymore.

"Let's kill each other. Whoever is left standing wins."

Poison gas weapons get used.

"Okay, let's kill each other, but let's make some rules about it, claiming certain WAYS of killing people are ''Too inhumane" in a pathetic attempt to try and justify killing at all."

/wars

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Let's kill each other. Whoever is left standing wins."

Poison gas weapons get used.

"Okay, let's kill each other, but let's make some rules about it, claiming certain WAYS of killing people are ''Too inhumane" in a pathetic attempt to try and justify killing at all."

/wars

I love that. In my opinion the geneva convenion is BS and as discord said an excuse to justify killing people who disagree with us. Edited by King Otrepony

War is an embarrassment at this point. A reminder of how stupid and terrible we can be. At this point, there is no excuse for them to continue. Even those who haven't experienced it firsthand (such as myself), can access thousands of hours of footage, millions of photos, thousands of testimonials saying, essentially, that war is a terrible idea, nobody wins, its not worth it, its hell, etc. So education will defeat this stupid, moronic tendency we have to fight over temporal stuff that does not matter. Ever see Carl Sagan's "Pale Blue Dot" video? Perfectly summarizes how moronic it is to fight over anything as we are so small and insignificant in the grand scheme, it makes more sense to work together to accomplish something far greater than ourselves than try to claw our way to the top of this little dirt heap we call home.

This is why I don't get Bronies/Pegasisters who are in the army. You know that contrasts with the message of friendship and love and peace that is at the heart of the show you claim to cherish, right?

we are so small and insignificant in the grand scheme, it makes more sense to work together to accomplish something far greater than ourselves than try to claw our way to the top of this little dirt heap we call home.

Ah, but there's the detail. Everyone wants to be the king of the hill and although it would be ideal to work together... It's just part of human nature to turn to it's most primordial instinct when threatened or when one feels greedy. After all, does man not pretend to be more than just a smart animal?

Ah, but there's the detail. Everyone wants to be the king of the hill and although it would be ideal to work together... It's just part of human nature to turn to it's most primordial instinct when threatened or when one feels greedy. After all, does man not pretend to be more than just a smart animal?

Some still do, but again, education has humbled humanity in a way. Evolution, particularly, showcases the kinship we have with all living things, so the arrogant notion we are somehow inherently better than all other life is more apparently absurd than ever before. We are just as fragile as anything. Yes, we can speak and have a high degree of intelligence, but that only makes us more responsible for our actions. I would say the number of people that pridefully boast of their possessions and seek to exert power over others is on the decline (I should hope so anyway, certainly seems to be within my social circle). So we are on the right track as a species. Let's hope we work through these growing pains and get back to what's important sooner rather than later.

This is why I don't get Bronies/Pegasisters who are in the army. You know that contrasts with the message of friendship and love and peace that is at the heart of the show you claim to cherish, right?

Freedom needs a soldier.

• Brohoof 2

If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight! Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little bit more about fighting than you do, pal, because he invented it, and then he perfected it so that no living man could best him in the ring of honor.

Then, he used his fight money...to buy two of every animal on earth, and then he herded them onto a boat......and then he beat the crap out of every single one.

And from that day forward any time a bunch of animals are together in one place it's called aZoo!

Unless it's a FARM!

War is inevitable. Humans will never agree with each other on anything. There may be times of peace, but war will eventually break out. And for all you hippies that think everyone should just stop fighting and love each other, have you ever had an argument with your parents or siblings? Have you ever disagreed with them on anything? Of course you have, and that proves my point. If fights can break out on such a small scale, what makes you think that entire nations could just immediately stop warring with each other?

Freedom needs a soldier.

No, it really doesn't. Soldiers only exist because other soldiers exist. It's an absurd game based on mutual fear and distrust. I hope to see the day when all soldiers are unemployed. You know, because peace? That thing?

(incidentally, your profile pic makes it look like Rarity has major issues with what I'm saying. Which is perfect. Well done)

War is inevitable. Humans will never agree with each other on anything. There may be times of peace, but war will eventually break out. And for all you hippies that think everyone should just stop fighting and love each other, have you ever had an argument with your parents or siblings? Have you ever disagreed with them on anything? Of course you have, and that proves my point. If fights can break out on such a small scale, what makes you think that entire nations could just immediately stop warring with each other?

I'd say the difference in those situations is one is a war of words, whereas the other is just violence. Wars of words should and will always exist, that is fine. It is when it gets to a point where things devolve into idiots hitting each other rather than admitting their own failings and shortcomings that you have a problem. I believe that embarrassing tendency can be overcome, in favor of really really awkward yet passionate discussions.

I'd say the difference in those situations is one is a war of words, whereas the other is just violence. Wars of words should and will always exist, that is fine. It is when it gets to a point where things devolve into idiots hitting each other rather than admitting their own failings and shortcomings that you have a problem. I believe that embarrassing tendency can be overcome, in favor of really really awkward yet passionate discussions.

I agree with you. Stuff *should never turn into physical violence, but humans most of the time are unwilling to accept that they may be wrong. World peace would be wondeful but qould take nothing less than Princess Celestias magic.

I agree with you. Stuff *should never turn into physical violence, but humans most of the time are unwilling to accept that they may be wrong. World peace would be wondeful but qould take nothing less than Princess Celestias magic.

I am still under the general impression that happens less and less often as we continue as a species. Lessons from previous conflicts are becoming almost impossible to avoid. So, time will tell, I guess. I choose to remain optimistic on the matter.

• 2 years later...

In war, there are no winners. In war, there is no good and evil. In war, you don't end up fighting for God and Country - you fight for the man next to you.

Lets talk about war, shall we? Most people think war is about killing the enemy until it's over and you capture what you need, ay? But no, that's not how it works at all. War isn't about defense and offense, it's about endurance. It's about wearing out the enemy until they give up. Killing the other side might work well, but you know what really wins wars? Injured soldiers. You see, the key to winning a war is sending back enough survivors with lets say...a leg blown off by a land mine. Send poor disabled trooper Johnny back in a wheelchair to Ma and Pa civilian, and they start thinking that maybe the war ain't a good idea after all. They start to protest it, fighting for you from inside. See what I mean? Any contrary opinions on this? Although to be honest, this wasn't such deep thinking, just pondering while eating pizza rolls.

I wonder if the pizza rolls were good...