Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Which name do you prefer, Princess Luna or Selene?

Lumena Sparkle

Selene or Luna?  

31 users have voted

1. 1. Which name do you prefer?

• Selene
    • Luna

As some of you may know, Princess Luna's name originally was Selene(or Selena) and in some storybooks Luna is actually called by one of the two names. But which name do you prefer?

Edited by Who is best pony?
  • Brohoof 1

i think i prefer luna because i'm more used to it, but selene is a really pretty name. still though i'm more used to luna and hearing her called selene more often would be kinda odd

Luna and Selene are both darling names, but Luna makes me think of a gorgeous moon in a dark and starry night sky more than Selene does.

Edited by Generosity
  • Brohoof 2

Celestia is a pun on the stars and she raises the sun, which is a star, while Luna is a pun on the moon and she raises the moon. I think the show's writers chose right, but I do kind of like Selene/Selena. Maybe that name would suit a new character. With the premise that the mane six are traveling around Equestria solving problems relating to friendship, perhaps they will venture outside of Equestria at some point, and they are bound to encounter other royalty if they do.

When I think of those names, a princess in a JRPG or some kind of fantasy story comes to mind. Perhaps the only daughter of a king and queen, or perhaps a king whose wife has since passed away, or maybe even the acting monarch due to the untimely death of both her parents. She may even suit being one of two twin sisters. Maybe I've encountered that archetype too many times, but names like Selene/Selena are often used for characters like that.

• Brohoof 1

Luna and Selene are both darling names, but Luna makes me think of a gorgeous moon in a dark and starry night sky more than Selene does.

Well, they both mean the same thing, Luna being the Latin name for moon, and Selene being the Greek.

• Brohoof 1

Well, they both mean the same thing, Luna being the Latin name for moon, and Selene being the Greek.

I'm well aware of this, but when I think of Selene, a starry night sky doesn't immediately pop into my head. When I think of Luna, a starry night sky does pop into my head.

Luna and Selene both would have been beautiful and fitting, but even setting aside my familiarity with her current name I think I would have chosen Luna. Selene may have been a more clever, cultured reference to her role as the Moon Princess, but it would also be a reference that would go over a lot of people's heads, especially those of the young children that the show is targeted towards. Luna on the other hand is very well-known as meaning "Moon", even to kids.

All I can think of when I hear Selene is the character from "Underworld", and she is a vampire so yeah, not exactly what would spring to my mind when I think of Luna. Still, I can see the reasoning behind both, what with Selene being the greek goddess of the moon and all. But I suppose the shows intended audience wouldn't have got that, whereas Luna is pretty straightforward.

I'd pick Princess Luna because i actually feel accustomed to her already and besides not knowing Princess Selene, she would be my first choice. I googled her name and she's a human but unfortunately i'm more attracted to Luna than Selene.

Sorry Selene....

Well considering "Luna" and "Selene" mean both the same thing: The Moon, (Luna is Latin for Moon, Selene is Greek for Moon), it simply comes down to which name looks and sounds better. 

And I'm going with Luna.

But it's not the actual name of the moon. Nothing else can replace Luna.

Luna isn't the actual name either, the actual name for the moon in English is "the moon", Luna is Latin for "the moon", it is merely a popular name people have dubbed it yet it is not officially called that.

Edited by A. Dazven

But it's not the actual name of the moon. Nothing else can replace Luna.

What do you mean it's not the actual name for the Moon? Neither is "Luna" it's Latin.