Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Avoiding fics because of potential similarities to yours

KatonRyu

Does anyone else suffer from the strange phobia of finding fics similar to your own? I tend not to read fanfics because I like writing my own ideas, not influenced by others. But in the Pokemon fandom I once published a story with the same name and main ship as another story. In this case they were quite different, but I still dread the moment where I write a fic only to find later that someone else has already written a story just like it.

It's even gotten to a point where I'm not sharing my headcanon because it features prominently in my fics.

Does anyone else have this irrational fear?

Irrational fear is fear with no basis behind them.

Given how some people react to what they THINK is plagiarism, regardless of the truth... I think this fear is completely rational.

It wasn't long ago that a fellow brony was called out for plagiarism, which was a false claim in the end, but the constant berating, harassment, and trolling caused him to take his own life.

So, no, I do not share this fear, but I also do not see it as irrational, and I hope it never becomes an issue for you in the future.

• Brohoof 1

@KatonRyu

I'm going to walk this topic over to Creative Resources where tips and general advice on writing can be given. 

I write a fic only to find later that someone else has already written a story just like it.

A bit before I joined this board, I was an author and even worked as a content editor for a an editing group focused on improving the general landscape of Kindle Direct Publishing. The fear of producing something unoriginal is not an unfounded one. It is extremely natural to have that fear, but ignore it. I brought up my experience for a reason. I read the same stories more than a few times. Characters and plot details may have changed a liitle - but on the whole there were a goodish amount of derivative dystopian epics I edited. In the end, many of those stories were still good. Why? Because each author found their voice - their style. That, more than anything, can breathe new like in a retread tale. Your voice is a fingerprint, and is all your own. It will evolve naturally with every story you write until you own it. 

Don't worry about what others write. Worry about discovering how YOU write. 

• Brohoof 4

@KatonRyu

I'm going to walk this topic over to Creative Resources where tips and general advice on writing can be given. 

A bit before I joined this board, I was an author and even worked as a content editor for a an editing group focused on improving the general landscape of Kindle Direct Publishing. The fear of producing something unoriginal is not an unfounded one. It is extremely natural to have that fear, but ignore it. I brought up my experience for a reason. I read the same stories more than a few times. Characters and plot details may have changed a liitle - but on the whole there were a goodish amount of derivative dystopian epics I edited. In the end, many of those stories were still good. Why? Because each author found their voice - their style. That, more than anything, can breathe new like in a retread tale. Your voice is a fingerprint, and is all your own. It will evolve naturally with every story you write until you own it. 

Don't worry about what others write. Worry about discovering how YOU write. 

That was a really awesome and motivating speech. Thanks for that, and thanks for the move. I'll keep the location in mind for future ones!

• Brohoof 2

Not at all , I spicifically read anything I can find on my current project. just so i have that warm fuzzy feeling what im doing is original. plus it helps to pick apart what others have  ommited that makes my work ( or yours)

stonger :)

:D

Edited by Sipenda