general media Cthulhu Mythos

Hidey

This topic makes my pulpy, gelatinous, hideously tentacle-wrapped heart happeh. x )  I've read plenty of H.P. Lovecraft.  Including (but by no means limited to): At the Mountains of Madness, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Thing on the Doorstep, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, The Rats in the Walls, The Call of Cthulhu, and The Haunter of the Dark.  I've written several stories that are Lovecraft-inspired; in the vein of the "weird tale."

I've also drawn Cthulhu, Mi-Go, Elder Things, Shoggoth, and Dagon:

post-26550-0-52984900-1425620331_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-95250300-1425620340_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-82126200-1425620344_thumb.jpegpost-26550-0-78984900-1425620350_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-83522600-1425620352_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-10225300-1425620358_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-55319900-1425620360_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-05857500-1425620377_thumb.jpgpost-26550-0-35345000-1425620380_thumb.jpeg

• Brohoof 1

This topic makes my pulpy, gelatinous, hideously tentacle-wrapped heart happeh. x )  I've read plenty of H.P. Lovecraft.  Including (but by no means limited to): At the Mountains of Madness, The Whisperer in Darkness, The Case of Charles Dexter Ward, The Thing on the Doorstep, The Shadow Over Innsmouth, The Dunwich Horror, The Rats in the Walls, The Call of Cthulhu, and The Haunter of the Dark.  I've written several stories that are Lovecraft-inspired; in the vein of the "weird tale."

I've also drawn Cthulhu, Mi-Go, Elder Things, Shoggoth, and Dagon:

Awesome.

maybe I could read some of your stories

Would the Conan the Barbarian stories count? I've read that they are part of the Cthulhu Mythos.

it could be one of many a series to pay homage to it, without necessarily being a full-fledged part of it

Awesome.

maybe I could read some of your stories

I think you're far better off reading a Lovecraft story you haven't read or re-reading one that you have. x )  But this is one of my more decent-ish Lovecraftian stories: The Black Ravine.  I didn't borrow any of Lovecraft's creations or namedrop "Cthulhu" or anything, but his works inspired me to write stories like these.  They continue to inspire me, really.  My dA user name is even plucked directly from "The Lurking Fear." x3

I love the Cthulhu mythos. Eldritch Horror gets a lot of playtime at my Saturday board-game meetups.

One great Lovecraftian-esque PC game I've been really liking lately is one called "Darkest Dungeon", it's narrated by Wayne June who does some of my favorite audio-book renditions of Lovecraft's work.

• 2 weeks later...

I am indeed interested in the Cthulhu mythos, and H.P. Lovecraft's work in general. I've read some of his short stories and seen a few film adaptations of his work. My favorite story by him that I've read is probably The Outsider

Funnily enough, I think I actually first learned about the Cthulhu mythos from South Park back when I was a younger teen. I ended up learning more about it from a good friend of mine IRL. 

What fascinates me the most about the Cthulhu shit is the more abstract side of it, such as people seeing things that are so complex it drives them insane. The octopus things are only thin, superficial representations of what one was actually seeing. This general idea serves as at least a partial foundation for a lot of the more modern shit I enjoy, such as House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski or the SCP Foundation universe.

I'm pretty interested. I would like to read Lovecraft's work. 

Have you ever heard about the Bloop? Some people believe it was actually Cthulhu that caused the sound since it was heard not far away from where the city of R'lyeh was supposed to have been. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloop just listen to the sound file  :o

Edited by JonasDarkmane