Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What are some things i should know about mlp?

Probably Lee

I am a pretty large noob to the series, only being on episode 13. I would like to know the landmarks, or VIPs of the brony community, so i can know what people are talking about. Assistance?

* 'I'm leaving the fandom' means two/three month temporary hiatus.

* Prolonged inactivity out of nowhere means 'I'm leaving the fandom.'

* Under no circumstances should you ever read or watch anything with the term 'Cupcakes' in it.

* Pony generator images are not cool as avatars/signatures, they look very bland, yet a whole ton of people do it, and then never get around to replacing it with actual artwork. Don't forget to get art of your OC sometime and replace that. ;)

* There are artists that are glorified, but as a commissioner I can tell you they're overrated. There are many great artists on par with them that do amazing works as well, who simply didn't get horsefamous. Don't forget to do a little searching and find the under-appreciated artists.

* Lauren Faust created the show and directed the first season, had minor input on parts of S2, and was completely gone from the show by S3. There's a divide in the fandom, the 'golden days' old coots who praise S1 and S2 as the best, and the modern bronies who prefer the later seasons. They're all morons. Don't listen to them. Make your own judgements and enjoy the show in all its' parts for what they are.

• Brohoof 8

Hmm, well there are a lot of brony musicians out there. Like The Living Tombstone (he's super famous, even with non mlp-fans), there's a fanfic site for mlp called http://www.fimfiction.net/ for fanfics if you like those... if you like conventions there are quite a few of those every year, bigger and smaller. http://www.equestriadaily.com/search/label/Convention (that has some news about it) speaking of, Equestia Daily has all the news and such about MLP that you could want! 

There are a ton of brony artists as well, though I don't really know where to tell you to look besides the art corner of our own forum. 

Lauren Faust is the creator xD Idk if that is important info, but I just enjoy the fact that we have same first name, also she was the writer of Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends as well d:

Also, /) and (\ are "brohooves" which are like, high fives but for bronies. They are not secret identity smiley faces, like my friend and I thought they were. 

• Brohoof 2

it depends the fandom or the show?

if its the show its best you learn on your own and watch the episodes....

if its the fandom not much to really say.... we are no different then other fandoms... we have a massive amount of art, music, and other stuff

here are some things I have learned

- if someone says they are leaving the fandom they are to be ignored they will most likely come back

- some Bronys are weird but you must always respect their opinion....

- if you ever post any fan art/music/fic and it gets negative reviews don't take it too personal...

- ABB is a huge thorn in all of our sides but they are to be ignored...

- never watch or read anything that involves mane 6 killing mane 6... its just fucked up...

- if your review anything don't overreact... that was big a mistake I made that scars my channel

- the fandom is divided in many different ways so pick a side and start ranting at one another

a handful of ways we are divided

Old Bronies vs Modern Bronies
Cloppers vs Pure Bronies
Solar Empire vs Lunar Republic
G3 Bronies vs G4 Bronies
Shippers vs Non-Shippers

or simply just opinion on who best pony and worst pony is

- disregard the last rule because it goes against the second rule

- never say (example) is worst pony not only will you piss off a lot of bronies you will hurt that pony's feelings

- don't let a famous Brony/Pegasister's work discourage you... if you keep trying you could be among their ranks

that's all the advice I can think of for now

• Brohoof 3

Lyra is obsessed with humans because of a fanfiction called Anthropology(it's decent). 

Pinkie is a serial killer because of a fanfiction called Cupcakes(it's crap, watch the parody called Rainbow Dash Presents Cupcakes to get the gist of it).

Octavia and Vinyl are always shipped because of a fanfiction that I don't care about.(It's decent anyways).

Derpy is the grey background pegasus with a blond mane, loves muffins. Is the mascot of the fandom.

The brown background pony with a spiky mane and an hourglass cutie mark is a parody of The Doctor from Doctor Who.

Read anything from this website URL, http://www.fimfiction.net/stories/top , they are some of the best stories the fandom has written and you'll almost definitely like anything on that page. Don't judge them as not worth reading just because they're fanfictions if you're that kind of person.

• Brohoof 2

I think my advice would be to continue watching the show, and branch out from there. There are excellent fan works out there, especially in the form of fan vids, but you definitely want to avoid spoilers and approach episodes without any pre-conceived idea based on what the fanbase thinks.

There is more official media than just the show but all additional media is divisive, including Equestria Girls, but the comics seem to be debated more around here. My advice is to just watch the show for now and decide later if you want to check out other media, and you should probably avoid discussions about them until you do so that you can form your own opinions on them. The first Equestria Girls film is set between seasons 3 and 4 and Rainbow Rocks is set between seasons 4 and 5. The films are by far the easiest alternate media to get into since they're only two movies and have a well defined place in the canon, though you only really need to watch the show to follow the series. There are two documentaries on Bronies if you're intetested. If I can think of anything else to say, I will post it at a later time.

• Brohoof 2

First off welcome to the herd. B)  You're one of the cool kids now. :lol:

Secondly, some random things I havent seen mentioned yet :adorkable: :

-Bronycon was the first and is now the largest convention for bronies, but it is not the only one; there are a bunch all around the world to as far as Australia and Thailand, and theres definitly a lot in the US. I've never been to one, but I hear theyre a real hoot! :icwudt:

-Don't feed the parasprites (trolls) in the comment sections of videos and forums who bait bronies, they just want to make us look bad or paint us as immature. The best way to turn the tides on them is to not play their little games, and ppl will realize that someone who goes all out of the way to bully people because they watch a certain TV show are the one's whose maturity should be in question.

-Lauren Faust is seen as the shows main creator and a supporter of the fandom (Along with Tara Strong, Tabitha St Germain, Ashley Ball, Peter New, John De Lancie, and all the other Voice Actors, staff, and writers)

-Daniel Ingram writes many of the show's most popular songs.

Some Brony-isms:

-Fluttershy is a tree :yay:

-Scootaloo is a Chicken

-Sweetie Bell and Applebloom are Dictionaries :catface:

-Luna and Trixie have a major presence in the Fanbase :comeatus:

-The Season 3 finale is a fairly big landmark in the fandom. Some would argue it created turmoil within the Brony ranks :umad: It caused the fallowing quote: (jk it didn't but I felt the need to do this)

Lands took up arms against their neighbors.   The end of the world occurred much as we had predicted -- the world was plunged into an abyss of balefire and dark magic.  The details are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely our own.  The world was nearly wiped clean of life.  A great cleansing; a magical spark struck by pony hooves quickly raged out of control.  Megaspells rained from the skies.  Entire lands were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans.  Ponykind was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the ambient radiation that blanketed the lands.  A quiet darkness fell across the world...

…But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world.  Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue for another bloody chapter in pony history.  In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters known as Stables.  But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them.  All except those in Stable Two.  For on that fateful day when spellfire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Stable Two swung closed, and never re-opened.

Fallout: Equestria

(A quote from a fanfic by Kkat, my personal favorite :squee:  Its a pretty popular Fanfic, )

Well thats all I can think of right now. Hope you enjoy the herd! :)

Edited by The Boulder
  • Brohoof 2

First off welcome to the herd. B)  You're one of the cool kids now. :lol:

Secondly, some random things I havent seen mentioned yet :adorkable: :

-Bronycon was the first and is now the largest convention for bronies, but it is not the only one; there are a bunch all around the world to as far as Australia and Thailand, and theres definitly a lot in the US. I've never been to one, but I hear theyre a real hoot! :icwudt:

-Don't feed the parasprites (trolls) in the comment sections of videos and forums who bait bronies, they just want to make us look bad or paint us as immature. The best way to turn the tides on them is to not play their little games, and ppl will realize that someone who goes all out of the way to bully people because they watch a certain TV show are the one's whose maturity should be in question.

-Lauren Faust is seen as the shows main creator and a supporter of the fandom (Along with Tara Strong, Tabitha St Germain, Ashley Ball, Peter New, John De Lancie, and all the other Voice Actors, staff, and writers)

-Daniel Ingram writes many of the show's most popular songs.

Some Brony-isms:

-Fluttershy is a tree :yay:

-Scootaloo is a Chicken

-Sweetie Bell and Applebloom are Dictionaries :catface:

-Luna and Trixie have a major presence in the Fanbase :comeatus:

-The Season 3 finale is a fairly big landmark in the fandom. Some would argue it created turmoil within the Brony ranks :umad: It caused the fallowing quote: (jk it didn't but I felt the need to do this)

Lands took up arms against their neighbors.   The end of the world occurred much as we had predicted -- the world was plunged into an abyss of balefire and dark magic.  The details are trivial and pointless. The reasons, as always, purely our own.  The world was nearly wiped clean of life.  A great cleansing; a magical spark struck by pony hooves quickly raged out of control.  Megaspells rained from the skies.  Entire lands were swallowed in flames and fell beneath the boiling oceans.  Ponykind was almost extinguished, their spirits becoming part of the ambient radiation that blanketed the lands.  A quiet darkness fell across the world...

…But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of the world.  Instead, the apocalypse was simply the prologue for another bloody chapter in pony history.  In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of the holocaust by taking refuge in enormous underground shelters known as Stables.  But when they emerged, they had only the hell of the wastes to greet them.  All except those in Stable Two.  For on that fateful day when spellfire rained from the sky, the giant steel door of Stable Two swung closed, and never re-opened.

Fallout: Equestria

(A quote from a fanfic by Kkat, my personal favorite :squee:  Its a pretty popular Fanfic, )

Well thats all I can think of right now. Hope you enjoy the herd! :)

Im halfway through fallout equestria, its great.

Thanks for the tips

• Brohoof 1

The fandom can't handle any mature content without having a screaming hissy fit...
May famous bronies are praised for doing minimal effort things *cough*bronydanceparty*cough*
The fandom takes everything to seriously
When the mainstream fandom tries to be edgy it tries to do so with out going above a teen rating.
Oh and there are a few Bronies me who love the show, our select group of fan friends, and don't like anything else.

*edit* Cupcakes, Smile HD, and Rainbow Factory are considered to be satan work by a vast majority of the fandom because oh dear me ponies killing each other what ever shall we do...

Edited by Panne
  • Brohoof 2

* Under no circumstances should you ever read or watch anything with the term 'Cupcakes' in it.

While the puns were badly done, theres one image kosdff tk does in an intro that scarred me for life. I can't show it, because i'm not sure if its allowed. 

-Make your own judgent, don't follow the flow of the fandom

-You might want to buy a couple of comics and books to handle the hiatus between seasons

-You can ignore the Equestria Girls movies if you desire, though, they're quite enjoyable (Rainbow Rocks is better though  :catface: )

-Speaking of movies, expect a non-human movie in 2017

-You can expect a change of context as you progress between seasons. Believe me, season 4 episodes don't feel the same as episodes of season 1

-There are an unbelievable amount of white knights who love to scapegoat any parts of the fandom they disagree with like cloppers and grimdark fans for example to enforce an unrealistic purity standard on the entire fandom.

-Others have mentioned that you should stay away from Cupcakes and if you are squeamish to gore you should follow their advice but if not than you might do what I did and laugh your ass off.

-Deviantart and Derpibooru are much better for finding pics that google image searches both because it is easier to find what you want and easier to avoid stuff you don't want to see if you aren't into the more "mature" stuff with mature filters. Fimfiction is great if you are into fanfics, there are some duds out there but quite a few good ones as well.

-Don't even bother trying to argue with trolls but then again that applies to pretty much anything.

• Brohoof 2

The main thing I would recommend is to at least give the comics a try. After you watch "A Canterlot Wedding," give the "Return of Queen Chrysalis" a read; followed by the next few arcs. :)

My advice is to just enjoy the show. If you don't care for adult content, just be careful when looking for images or fanfics.

Oh yeah, forgot about that, 18+ material exist, and we call it clopping, regardless if they're ponies, anthropomorphic, or humanized, it exist, with all weird fetiches included  :P

• Brohoof 3

Well.....

For one to fully comprehend this pony fascination,

let me first some up the previous of pony generations,

generation 1 appeared on tv in the 80s,

it was made to sell toys, plots were hardly very weighty,

and generation 2 I do not mean to grouse and gripe,

but these characters fall right into the girly stereotype,

and generation 3 is just too awful and too tragic,

so let's jump to number 4 where friendship is magic,

all the characters compelling, and the stellar storytelling,

and the lovely animation brought about great dedication,

this is where we meet the bronies, where they like my little pony,

yes the bros enjoy the ponies so let's go and meet the bronies,

well the growth of brony fandom might simply seem absurd,

true fans adore the show while others gallop to the herd,

for hipster bronies watching pastel ponies has appeal,

though at first it seems ironic soon enough it's very real,

from moderates to starterswho are finding it with hype,

when the bronies they'd invade their favorite forums and websites,

and though at first a little skeptical, these moderates inquired,

and once they finally found the show their love for it caught fire,

the core of the meetups and conventions that you see,

are the social groups that come to bronycon and everfree,

yes the moderates and hipsters are the big groups of the bronies,

they're the dudes of all the bulk of all the men that like the ponies,

creative bronies are the final bunch you need to know,

making music, art and stories all inspired by the show,

while counting down the days from season 1 and season 2,

the musicians wrote funky little songs like Pinkie's Brew,

the pony generators turn out many new OCs,

and the artists put on their TUMBLR blogs for all to see,

the writers pair their favorites voicing charming little quips,

and although they face some critics the will go down with their ships,

their talent is their glory, ever growing, never stopping,

from the music and the stories, to the artwork and the clopping,(oops)

oh dear, but let's steer away from that one and get right back to the ponies,

for the creatives are the last ones of the wacky world of bronies,

creatives, moderates, and lastly hipster bronies,

are the groups who say they're proud to watch the show,

My Little Pony!" :)

Edited by SergeantShy
  • Brohoof 2

Oh yeah, forgot about that, 18+ material exist, and we call it clopping, regardless if they're ponies, anthropomorphic, or humanized, it exist, with all weird fetiches included  :P

I keep trying to brohoof your comment, but only get an error message

/)

Brohoof!

(That looks like a pony's ear!)

Edited by cuteycindyhoney