Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could Rainbow Dash be a bad influence on children?

SteveMorison

I am fully aware that all of the mane 6 have flaws. Never said they didn't. And I do not by any means think that that makes somepony a bad character. In fact that can even make them a good character. I just don't like it when Rainbow Dash acts like an obnoxious unlikeable asshole...Is that wrong?

Of course not. RD can be obnoxious and arrogant, and it's fine to not like her for it. But that doesn't make it right to say she has no good qualities when she obviously does, and it's not fair to ignore them.

I despise Rarity with a passion, but I acknowledge she's still a relatively good pony in spite of some horrendous flaws (the way she treats Spike is disgusting). 

• Brohoof 1

I know she didn't leave them but she came pretty close iirc.

But she didnt. Heres a fact of life: Just like no one cares how close you came to NOT betraying someone, no one cares how close you came TO betraying someone. All that matters is whether you betrayed them or not. 

Of course not. RD can be obnoxious and arrogant, and it's fine to not like her for it. But that doesn't make it right to say she has no good qualities when she obviously does, and it's not fair to ignore them.

I despise Rarity with a passion, but I acknowledge she's still a relatively good pony in spite of some horrendous flaws (the way she treats Spike is disgusting). 

And I never said that she had no good qualities. I am only saying that I feel like her bad qualities outweigh her good ones.

• Brohoof 1

I'm just describing what was shown in the episodes.

Heroism and loyalty. That's what most people saw. That would explain why she always gets tremendous praise for those episodes. Only vocal minorities complained about her through all those episodes.

In Sonic Rainboom, she only saved Rarity so she could do a Sonic Rainboom and have everyone love her. In Hurricane Fluttershy, she didn't care about Fluttershy's feelings and just wanted to be the most impressive flier ever. In Sleepless in Ponyville, she didn't actually care about Scootaloo outside of the fact that Scoots loves her. In Wonderbolts Academy, she was only mad that Lighting Dust was more impressive than her. And in Testing, Testing 1,2,3, she only wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain.

That's one kid. Most kids know that RD is lame and a bad influence.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing sports, obviously so, that's not a negative influence, it's a positive one. RD's horrible personality is what kids are smarter than to emulate.

Sonic Rainboom: Are you suggesting that Rainbow would have let Rarity die if she knew she wouldn't have preformed the Sonic Rainboom? NO! Rainbow saved Rarity's life because even though Rarity was a b****, they were still friends. Rainbow Dash does care about her friends. 

Cutie Mark Chronicals: She did care about Fluttershy's feelings. 

She does care about Scootaloo. In fact, that is proven in Flight to the Finish. In the CMC didn't win or even try out, it wouldn't effect Rainbow Dash at all. Also, if Rainbow Dash really is as bad as you say she is, she would have cut off all ties with Scootaloo and no longer consider her a sister after knowing she can't fly. She also liked Scootaloo before knowing she couldn't fly, so "being her friend because she's disabled" is not an excuse, either. 

Rainbow Dash wanted to be a Wonderbolt her entire life. That has always been her dream. There's nothing wrong with it. Rainbow Dash being jealous when Lightning Dust was better is a flaw of hers. Yes, she wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain. You know, just like how I create art for myself. When I create art, I don't think about other people. I do it because I love it. Rainbow Dash wants to be a Wonderbolt because she looks up to them. Is that such a bad thing? 

You only hate Rainbow Dash for made up reasons.

Rainbow did not save Rarity's life just so she could do the Sonic Rainboom. If she did, then why did she bother saving Rarity? She didn't have to grab Rarity to preform the sonic Rainboom. 

She did race the bullies to stand up to Fluttershy.

She really does care about Scootaloo. 

She wants to be a Wonderbolt because that's her dream. 

Don't make Rainbow Dash out to be bad because of assumptions. Rainbow Dash is a good character. 

• Brohoof 1

I am only saying that I feel like her bad qualities outweigh her good ones.

It seems to me that it's mostly because you don't like arrogant and selfish behavior that you think that, as she has shown to be pretty level headed and caring a lot of the time. I wouldn't say any of mane 6 have bad qualities that outweigh the good. Just saying.

• Brohoof 1

Nope. Kids know that she's super obnoxious and unlikable an that they should never ever act anything like her.

Rainbow Dash has way more negative traits than any other character and I'd go as far as to say that there's absolutely nothing good about her.

May I ask, then, why she(he?) is your avatar?

It seems to me that it's mostly because you don't like arrogant and selfish behavior that you think that, as she has shown to be pretty level headed and caring a lot of the time. I wouldn't say any of mane 6 have bad qualities that outweigh the good. Just saying.

Yes! That's what I think when someone doesn't like a character from a show; they must really dislike those qualities, so when there's a character who has them, they focus on that and see little else. On point.

• Brohoof 2

Most of the hatred against Dash is probably just from the "bitter nerds" who were, well, bitter that the "jocks" got the girl but they didnt, and so they hate Rainbow Dash for being , in their mind, a gender bent jock. Heres a fact of life; just because someone is a "jock" doesnt mean they are bad. You dont always get the girl. And I can say this because im also a nerd, but Im not bitter because of High School experiences. Sorry if im not making sense.

And I never said that she had no good qualities. I am only saying that I feel like her bad qualities outweigh her good ones.

I actually don't have a problem with people feeling that way. It's when she gets criticized for things she did nothing wrong that annoys me.

That first episode was one of her finest moments. The other mane 6 weren't even really her friends at that point (except for Fluttershy) but she still chose them over a chance at fame and fortune. I'll admit she's been wrong quite a few times, but that certainly wasn't one of them. It's baffling to me anyone could think otherwise.

• Brohoof 3

I knew this thread would attract more unnecessary bashing of Dash. Look, they all have flaws, you guys need to stop over exaggerating certain traits of characters

"Twilight is to perfect and insufferable"

"Fluttershy is too shy and can't stand up to others and is a doormat that learns the same lesson"

"Rarity is too much of a drama queen and is overly dramatic"

"Pinkie is too childish and immature and annoys everybody"

"AJ is too flat with not much going for her"

"RD is too arrogant and a selfish jerk"

I see this all the time, it's pointless, and frankly annoying. No one should be written off the show, and they all show traits that make them good role models in some way. 

My god, I am sick and tired of seeing people bash certain characters. Especially on this forum. Shit, probably more so than other places. I'm not kidding.

Could I make a signature based off of that one day? So true. I see it everywhere and it's making my experience here miserable.

• Brohoof 1

I actually don't have a problem with people feeling that way. It's when she gets criticized for things she did nothing wrong that annoys me.

That first episode was one of her finest moments. The other mane 6 weren't even really her friends at that point (except for Fluttershy) but she still chose them over a chance at fame and fortune. I'll admit she's been wrong quite a few times, but that certainly wasn't one of them. It's baffling to me anyone could think otherwise.

That's not even the biggest thing I'm holding against her. Far from it. It's how she acted in the last episode and in Testing Testing 1 2 3 that irritated me the most. And I completely fail to see how her behavior was justified in those episodes.

She has flaws like any other child would. No one is perfect, and no one learns anything from a 'perfect' character. Dash may be boastful and ego-filled at times, but there's plenty of kids out there who enjoy being competitive, to be the best among their friends and peers, Rainbow just emulates that. When she does take things too far, it doesn't work out for her, and she has to take it at a more mature level or learn that not every situation can have the outcome you want. I don't think MLP has ever tried to show her as great because of any of those traits you mentioned, if anything her episodes often have her getting into trouble because of those traits and having to take a step back from them.

• Brohoof 2

i don't actually know. all i can say is that derpy is a bad influence because shes acting like she has autism. also the name sounds a bit odd if you know what i mean.

So I'm a bad influence for BEING autistic? If showing autism is a bad thing, then no wonder people hate autistic people. 

• Brohoof 1

That's not even the biggest thing I'm holding against her. Far from it. It's how she acted in the last episode and in Testing Testing 1 2 3 that irritated me the most. And I completely fail to see how her behavior was justified in those episodes.

For Testing Testing 1,2,3 people with learning disabilities, like myself (ADD) really sympathized with her struggling. I would argue her attitude for that episode was justifiable in the sense that she honestly couldn't help it. Learning disabilities are not easy to live with, ADD is really hard to control, and all these sudden methods of learning being forced on her was just too overwhelming.

I've felt the same way she did whenever I had to study for something and I just couldn't stay focused no matter what I tried. It's frustrating and I really felt her pain.

I didn't see her attitude as her just trying to be an obnoxious ass. I saw it as someone really struggling with her disability and it really hit home for me. 

• Brohoof 4

For Testing Testing 1,2,3 people with learning disabilities, like myself (ADD) really sympathized with her struggling. I would argue her attitude for that episode was justifiable in the sense that she honestly couldn't help it. Learning disabilities are not easy to live with, ADD is really hard to control, and all these sudden methods of learning being forced on her was just too overwhelming.

I've felt the same way she did whenever I had to study for something and I just couldn't stay focused no matter what I tried. It's frustrating and I really felt her pain.

I didn't see her attitude as her just trying to be an obnoxious ass. I saw it as someone really struggling with her disability and it really hit home for me. 

That's actually a pretty good point. I've actually thought for awhile now that Rainbow Dash did show symptoms of ADD.

That's actually a pretty good point. I've actually thought for awhile now that Rainbow Dash did show symptoms of ADD.

Thank you. I can understand that you might not be able to sympathize with something like that because, and just I'm guessing here, it's a situation you just can't relate to, because RD is a character you really don't relate to. That's how it is with any other character, really. If we can't relate to them, it's hard sympathize with them and easier to judge them for their wrongdoing, because we just can't see it see it from their perspective. But that doesn't make them objectively bad characters.

This is why I strongly object to removing any major character from the series.The fact is everyone of the mane 6 is relateable to someone, no matter how bizarre and incomprehensible their behavior and actions may seem, there will always be some people out there who can sympathize with it, because they've been there too. They can see it from their point of view.

Nobody should be should deprived of a character they love just because someone else views them as a bad character. You're entitled to dislike her, but please don't take her away from me.

(edited)

In Sonic Rainboom, she only saved Rarity so she could do a Sonic Rainboom and have everyone love her. In Hurricane Fluttershy, she didn't care about Fluttershy's feelings and just wanted to be the most impressive flier ever. In Sleepless in Ponyville, she didn't actually care about Scootaloo outside of the fact that Scoots loves her. In Wonderbolts Academy, she was only mad that Lighting Dust was more impressive than her. And in Testing, Testing 1,2,3, she only wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain.

Also, there's nothing wrong with doing sports, obviously so, that's not a negative influence, it's a positive one. RD's horrible personality is what kids are smarter than to emulate.

Posts like this are proof that some RD haters see what they want to see. Only saved Rarity to perform sonic rainboom, there is absolutely no evidence for that, she was already trying to perform the sonic rainboom then noticed Rarity falling from the air, from that point she seemed to lose concern about anything else and just wanted to save her friend. You obviously weren't paying enough attention when watching Hurricane Fluttershy, there was one point where it looked like her team would beat the record but was still upset about Fluttershy's lack of confidence, even saying "If only there was a way to get Fluttershy out of the dumps", then in the end when being congradulated by Spitfire, she diverts attention to Fluttershy. In Sleepless in Ponyville, again there is no evidence that Rainbow Dash doesn't care about Scootaloo outside of her being a fan, there's a difference between admiring your fans and showing the kind of bond she did during the final act of the episode. Wonderbolts academy, sure she was disappointed about being considered below LD, but it is made clear that her disguist with the wonderbolts is due to their approval of wreckless behaviour. Testing Testing 1 2 3, it's no secret she wants to be a wonderbolt, the only selfish gain being involved is the gaining of her dream, which is no different from anyone else. There's differing opinions and then there's agenda pushing. Edited by DashBandicoot
  • Brohoof 4

You know guys, when I'm hearing people say a character is a, "bad influence on children," you know what I think of?

Soccer moms.

The people who blame a show for a kid's misbehavior and not the kid themselves. The parent should tell the kids not to repeat what they see on TV, not the show. 

Oh, and none of the mane six are bad influences on kids. I hear people talking about how RD is a bad influence on kids well cherry picking the same few scenes and ignoring all the good she's done in the show. Need I bring up Hurricane Fluttershy and Wonderbolts Academy? Also, if we go by this logic I guess Rarity's a bad character because she show boated in one episode, Pinkie's a bad character because she said something mean to Fluttershy in one episode, and Fluttershy's a bad character for Putting your Hoof Down. 

And if we go by the bad influence logic, then the villains are bad influences because they do bad things in the show.

• Brohoof 2

Somebody should screen-cap this and put on a website: stupidthingsRDhatersactuallybelieve.com so we can all have a laugh at nonsense they make up. 

• Brohoof 1

I knew this thread would attract more unnecessary bashing of Dash. Look, they all have flaws, you guys need to stop over exaggerating certain traits of characters

"Twilight is to perfect and insufferable"

"Fluttershy is too shy and can't stand up to others and is a doormat that learns the same lesson"

"Rarity is too much of a drama queen and is overly dramatic"

"Pinkie is too childish and immature and annoys everybody"

"AJ is too flat with not much going for her"

"RD is too arrogant and a selfish jerk"

I see this all the time, it's pointless, and frankly annoying. No one should be written off the show, and they all show traits that make them good role models in some way. 

My god, I am sick and tired of seeing people bash certain characters. Especially on this forum. Shit, probably more so than other places. I'm not kidding. 

You need to learn to accept the fact that some people think that certain characters are terrible.

The way she treats Spike is hilarious and wonderful. It's like she's trying to steal Twi's pet and force him to be her own pet! It's awesome!  :lol:

Heroism and loyalty. That's what most people saw. That would explain why she always gets tremendous praise for those episodes. Only vocal minorities complained about her through all those episodes.

No, I think almost everyone knows how it was written, they just defend her horrible actions for no reason.

May I ask, then, why she(he?) is your avatar?

That ain't Dashie, that's some random pony. Notice the horn and glasses?

Most of the hatred against Dash is probably just from the "bitter nerds" who were, well, bitter that the "jocks" got the girl but they didnt, and so they hate Rainbow Dash for being , in their mind, a gender bent jock. Heres a fact of life; just because someone is a "jock" doesnt mean they are bad. You dont always get the girl. And I can say this because im also a nerd, but Im not bitter because of High School experiences. Sorry if im not making sense.

Um, no. Maybe we just don't like her character because she's a jerk?  :blink: I was and still am a nerd, but I've never been very bitter about that fact, personally. I don't hate people who are more successful with relationships than me, nor do I hate "jocks". I just can't stand egotistical jerks who never stop bragging about themselves. Dashie is an unbearable character for this reason. 

Sonic Rainboom: Are you suggesting that Rainbow would have let Rarity die if she knew she wouldn't have preformed the Sonic Rainboom? NO! Rainbow saved Rarity's life because even though Rarity was a b****, they were still friends. Rainbow Dash does care about her friends. 

Yeah, she probably would have. I don't think she'd be happy Rarity died, but she wouldn't ever try to save anyone if she didn't expect to get praise from it.

Cutie Mark Chronicals: She did care about Fluttershy's feelings. 

I disagree. It seemed to me she was using Fluttershy being bullied as an excuse to show off.

She does care about Scootaloo. In fact, that is proven in Flight to the Finish. In the CMC didn't win or even try out, it wouldn't effect Rainbow Dash at all. Also, if Rainbow Dash really is as bad as you say she is, she would have cut off all ties with Scootaloo and no longer consider her a sister after knowing she can't fly. She also liked Scootaloo before knowing she couldn't fly, so "being her friend because she's disabled" is not an excuse, either. 

Did we watch the same episodes? It seemed very clear to me that if Scootaloo wasn't able to do cool tricks on a scooter, Dashie wouldn't like her. She was willing to look past the flying thing because of that.

Rainbow Dash wanted to be a Wonderbolt her entire life. That has always been her dream. There's nothing wrong with it. Rainbow Dash being jealous when Lightning Dust was better is a flaw of hers. Yes, she wanted to join the Wonderbolts for her own personal gain. You know, just like how I create art for myself. When I create art, I don't think about other people. I do it because I love it. Rainbow Dash wants to be a Wonderbolt because she looks up to them. Is that such a bad thing? 

No, wanting to be a Wonderbolt isn't a bad thing necessarily, but I don't get the episode being used to justify how nice of a character she is.

You only hate Rainbow Dash for made up reasons.

Rainbow did not save Rarity's life just so she could do the Sonic Rainboom. If she did, then why did she bother saving Rarity? She didn't have to grab Rarity to preform the sonic Rainboom. 

She did race the bullies to stand up to Fluttershy.

She really does care about Scootaloo. 

She wants to be a Wonderbolt because that's her dream. 

Don't make Rainbow Dash out to be bad because of assumptions. Rainbow Dash is a good character. 

I think she's a jerk.

That was the only episode I liked her in, but I think it was out of character for her. She's usually unlikable.

• Brohoof 1

You need to learn to accept the fact that some people think that certain characters are terrible.

I understand that, but some people blow shit out of proportion. You need to understand that.

Because you are doing exactly that

Christ.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 1

Posts like this are proof that some RD haters see what they want to see. Only saved Rarity to perform sonic rainboom, there is absolutely no evidence for that, she was already trying to perform the sonic rainboom then noticed Rarity falling from the air, from that point she seemed to lose concern about anything else and just wanted to save her friend. You obviously weren't paying enough attention when watching Hurricane Fluttershy, there was one point where it looked like her team would beat the record but was still upset about Fluttershy's lack of confidence, even saying "If only there was a way to get Fluttershy out of the dumps", then in the end when being congradulated by Spitfire, she diverts attention to Fluttershy. In Sleepless in Ponyville, again there is no evidence that Rainbow Dash doesn't care about Scootaloo outside of her being a fan, there's a difference between admiring your fans and showing the kind of bond she did during the final act of the episode. Wonderbolts academy, sure she was disappointed about being considered below LD, but it is made clear that her disguist with the wonderbolts is due to their approval of wreckless behaviour. Testing Testing 1 2 3, it's no secret she wants to be a wonderbolt, the only selfish gain being involved is the gaining of her dream, which is no different from anyone else. There's differing opinions and then there's agenda pushing.

In my personal opinion, Rainbow Dash lovers see what they wanna see. I've seen people defend literally everything she does.

I understand that, but some people blow shit out of proportion. You need to understand that.

And that's not going to stop, so accept it. :P

And that's not going to stop, so accept it.

I will not accept the over-exaggeration of characters whose flaws really aren't any worse than any other character. For example, I could say Rarity's an over dramatic drama queen and that I hate how she's so snobby and shit, but I won't because that would be shallow, and totally out of proportion, which is what you are doing. Rarity is no better than RD in that perspective.

But, you know, you obviously aren't going to listen to reason, so I'm done with this conversation. Good day.

By the way, I absolutely love Rarity. I was stating an example.

Edited by Celli
  • Brohoof 1