Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler How much did the town ponies...

Zoraxe

(edited)
How much did the town ponies hate having the same cutiemark?

Because I don't think its a straightforward answer, sure they had those weird smiles on most of the time and they missed their cutiemarks, but the way those few who talked to the mane 6 in private seemed to me that they genuinely liked their current situation in ways too, those looks in their faces as they described loosing their marks looked genuine to me.

Edited by Zoraxe

They are generic background ponies. They aren't supposed to have different cutie marks. If the animation team had to design a unique cutie mark for every background pony it would take three weeks just for 10 minutes of of show time.

Or maybe it's because Starlight was really good at brainwashing them all into thinking that having no cutie marks is a great thing but when they saw the Mane 6 be able to be friends with each other and not fight with another, they realize that Starlight was wrong and thats when they first start to miss their cutie marks again.

I don't think they missed their cutie mark, or just a bit.

They said they were trusting Starlight Glimmer, and I guess they eventually got used to having the same cutie mark.

Or maybe it's because Starlight was really good at brainwashing them all into thinking that having no cutie marks is a great thing but when they saw the Mane 6 be able to be friends with each other and not fight with another, they realize that Starlight was wrong and thats when they first start to miss their cutie marks again.

Hmm. Did Starlight actually have to result to overtly brainwashing the other Townsponies? Seemed to me she simply convinced them.

Hmm. Did Starlight actually have to result to overtly brainwashing the other Townsponies? Seemed to me she simply convinced them.

I'm sure it was slightly different for every pony. Some could be convinced, some had to be brainwashed, and some weren't entirely controlled, but realized they were powerless against her and had to make the best of their situation.

This is a tough one because of the lack of backstory. My best theories are that either some of them spent their entire lives in that town, they were there long enough to forget their lives outside of it, or they were purely convinced that Starlight Glimmer was right. All of these suggest how foreign the idea of harmony through diversity was to them and why they were so shocked to see how well they liked it.

At the same time, I can say that Night Glider, Party Favor, and Sugar Belle were so sure that ignorance was bliss. You could hear it in how enthusiastically they spoke of both the Mane 6's cutie marks and the equal signs. At the time, they didn't know what to believe, and thus didn't really hate the equal sign cutie marks until Starlight was exposed as a fraud at the end. That's when their realization turned from the illusion that the equal sign cutie marks were their own expression of harmony to the truth of it being a form of control.

I think some of them hated it, but I'm also sure some loved it. As we have seen these ponies are complex characters and as such I could see the town going one way or another. Party Favor, Night Glider, and Sugar Belle were probably the more enthusiastic of the town's citizens and were more willing to risk gushing over the Mane 6's cutie marks in secret.

While some would probably want to do the same might be persuaded not to due to their own fear of what Starlight might do to them.

Then you have the bunch that might like their equal marks, but might be curious of the differences exhibited by the Mane 6.

And so on, so forth.