Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

beginning comics for me?

intrepidtwilight

Hi everyone,

I am new to the comics and books and am wondering which you all recommend that deal with the origins of the kingdom, the early days of Luna and Celestia, Queen Chrysalis, and/or anything about the elements of harmony on a more in depth scale, etc.  Thanks. 

Here's what I said to someone else recently:

Personally, I'd begin from the beginning and read in release order. Yeah, they're original stories, not just episodes turned into comics.  :)

You might also want to consider buying digital versions instead of physical copies. No shipping costs, no time spent waiting for them to be delivered. comiXology.com is good for that.

Here's a (slightly updated version of a) pastebin doc I prepped for someone else that gives the release order of the comics. http://pastebin.com/nTJS2zez

This suggestion actually is relevant to you too, since the early story arcs might just cover a little of what you're asking about...

But I also think, based on what you've asked about, you'll like the Journal of the Two Sisters. Remember that journal from Season 4, that Twilight found in the castle? They made that into an actual book.

http://www.amazon.com/Little-Pony-Chronicles-Princesses-Friendship/dp/0316282243/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430459437&sr=8-1&keywords=Journal+of+the+Two+Sisters

The physical book also includes the journal of friendship that Twilight and friends wrote over the course of the season, while Kindle divides them up into two separate purchases. I think the Journal of the Two Sisters itself is what'll interest you more, and you can get the Kindle edition for just five bucks. (Note you can read Kindle books on your PC and stuff; You don't actually need a Kindle)

Thank you. :-)  This is very in depth and I will check it out.  All of it looks interesting, and especially the journal of the two sisters.  I read and love both physical and Kindle books now...I'm very new to Kindle but so far liking it.  Thanks again.

I'd recommend just reading the graphic novels in order, from volumes 1-3(or omnibus 1 which contains all three) to the Micro Series(entitled Pony Tales Volume 1 and 2 in the graphic novels), to volumes 4 and beyond and Friends Forever Volume 1 and beyond(I personally alternate between the two series at that point).

Tross is actually talking about the "volumes" that collect issues of the comics. (4 issues each. Volume 1 collects Issues 1-4, Volume 2 collects Issues 2-8, etc).

There are "graphic novels" too, but from my understanding those are just episode stories converted into comic form (like the S2 premiere).