Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Did you like High School Musical?

Canary Yellow

I didn't enjoy the movies themselves but some of the songs were actually... okay  :blink:

• Brohoof 1

I had to sit through all three movies and disliked all 3 of them

High School Musical 2 gets some bonus points for having Ashley Tisdale in a bikini though

• Brohoof 2

I remember watching the first one.  Thought it was okay, a bit cliche.  Then it got super freaking hype.  I mean, good God.  I remember kids where I lived went absolutely insane for that show.  Kinda made me hate it, partly because it had so much to live up to now, partly because I'm a super contrary person.

Saw the second movie at a 7-year-old's birthday party.  Hated the living crud out of it.  Holy crud.  That bit at the end where the lanterns magically fly into the sky and they dance around like idiots?  What the muffintop!?  And all the little girls loved the living crud outta that show.  Somehow they had all the songs memorized and a few girls came in costume.  That was one of the most horrible evenings of my life.

I was so traumatized by the second movie, that I saw no reason to watch the third, even though my neighbor kept telling us it was "so much better" and "not bad at all".

In conclusion, HSM is no Twilight, but it's still a dull cliche directed at young girls.  No thanks. :P

• Brohoof 2

The songs are alright (though my friends would kill me if i said i actually quite like we're all in this together and bop to the top) but the movies as just movies? cant say they appeal to me

• Brohoof 1

Eh I never liked the movies. Come to think of it, I've only seen the first one when I was like 7. Why did I watch such a thing?

• Brohoof 1

Meh. They're not for me, but I don't hate them. They're intentionally silly and kind of lame, so I don't think they're worth the energy to hate them outside of its overexposure in the popular culture, but that's long past. It's actually kind of fun to go back and watch how those movies pandered to my generation's idea of "cool" and "fabulous." It's pretty hilarious.

Anyway, good as time as any to inquire into this, but has anyone else found that all of Troy's friends are assholes? And I just don't mean the basketball team in the first one; I mean everyone. They make him feel bad whenever they step outside they want him to do. "Oh, you want to skip our after-work baseball game so you can talk to colleges and secure a future for yourself?! Well, screw you too, we'll just make you feel alienated and make you feel like you've been replaced with some other guy!"

Actually, I take it back. The second one at the country club is pretty actively obnoxious.

• Brohoof 1

Meh, I was there when they were crazy and didn't bothered to watch any of them. They're just stereotypical cool HS movies for easily impressionable prepubersent audiences. Never hated them, but didn't found a reason to like them either 

• Brohoof 1

Meh, was never big on them. Everyone in my elementary school was obsessed with them but I didn't get into it that much. Found it way too typical and the songs to be generic. I was forced to go to a camp for this movie when I was 11. It was torture.
  • Brohoof 1

I watched it when I was little and had no idea what was going on. Everyone I was around seemed to love it with a passion. But I just didn't like it and felt like an outcast for that. xD

• Brohoof 1

When I was younger, I watched the first film; can't remember where though. I thought it was somewhat decent.

I wasn't crazy over it like a lot of people were though. I barely remember the film itself, and I never watched the other films, nor do I plan to.