Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike?

CastletonSnob

I love Spike. :3 Been thinking about that recently and I remember how much I really like his character. Sure, he doesn't do so well when on his own, even though I did like the pet episode, but the chemistry between him and the others is awesome and usually pretty funny. My only gripe is that lately he has been put to the side. I hope we see a little bit more focus on him at some point. What they could do with him is a mystery, but I am sure there are plenty of possibilities.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Not a fan. Uninteresting and has terrible episodes. He really should only be a supporting character from now on.

Edited by pony person thing

(edited)

I think he needs to learn some more lessons in friendship. He only got, like, one. Two maybe. I'll like him more once they develop his character further.

Fear not he had more.

Dog and a Pony Show

Owl's Well that Ends Well

Secret of my Excess

Dragon Quest

Spike at your Service

Just for Sidekicks

Power Ponies

Equestria Games

Inspiration Manifestation

Will probably get one at season 5.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 1

Fear not he had more.

Dog and a Pony Show

Secret of my Excess

Dragon Quest

Spike at your Service

Just for Sidekicks

Power Ponies

Equestria Games

Will probably get one at season 5.

But the problem is, he never seems to retain these lessons the way the mane six do. :/

(edited)

He is one of those characters that people seem to have a love-hate relationship, but I think better episodes focusing in him could do wonders for the character. Maybe Princess Spike can do him some favors.

Edited by UnknownFry

(edited)
If the map shows who is supposed to go where by presenting a holographic image of their cutie mark, how is Spike, who doesn't have a mark, ever going to get called on any missions? He didn't even come along on the first one.

That's interesting to think about. I think the writers could implement Spike into the whole cutie map thing, and I think that it would be well-done if they do. He does have a chair personally for himself in the castle, so maybe a dragon mark could appear on it on the day when he is needed somewhere, and that could show up on the map? Just some thoughts for food. I really like spike and want to see him paired up with someone on a cutie map adventure, such as how Pinkie and Rainbow Dash were. I enjoyed that episode :wub:

Edited by Joseph Stallion
  • Brohoof 2

I just hope one day they'll be an excuse for him to go all godzilla on us again, but only to actually fight some geniune threat. Would be awesome though might end up with then dipping a hoof into DBZLand again XD

(edited)

What were some good Spike episodes, if any?

The first and second seasons had my favorite Spike episodes (of course S1 and S2).

Dog and a Pony Show

Secret of my Excess

Dragon Quest

Any other that came after seem to be a bit meh.

I forgot Season 4 had a Spike and Rarity episode. Inspiration Manifestation and that one was okay but a bit anti-climactic.

Edited by cidershield
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

He does have a chair personally for himself in the castle, so maybe a dragon mark could appear on it on the day when he is needed somewhere, and that could show up on the map?

I like that idea. I was trying to think of ways the map could tell Spike to go somewhere but all I could imagine was an image of his face floating around the map with the cutie marks. Seems kind of silly. His throne doesn't currently have a symbol on it, but if they just snuck a symbol in without justifying it in writing, I really would not mind, as long as it meant that Spike could have his own "cutie compass".

Edited by Princess Lona

Spike disappoints me greatly. As the only male in a female dominated cast of strong "women", Spike could easily be a positive force for the young male crowd. I think his potential is wasted, and it's really a shame.

• Brohoof 2

Writers either hate him or treat him as a joke. Fandom either feel the same or feel sorry for him. It has been this was since forever.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Spike has potential not fully utilized by his writers, although there are times where we see his potential used.

In the episode Secret of My Excess, not only do we begin to understand more about Spike's background, we understand how dragons as a whole undergo their aging process. The relationship between Spike and Rarity, if you can even call it that, (I've only watched up to mid season 3 and I don't recall any other heavy Spike-Rarity moments) also developed and now Rarity has a symbol, the Fire Ruby, to represent the friendship and bond she has with Spike. It's because of this ruby and the how he remembered that he gave it to Rarity as a sign of his generosity that he went from being a gigantic and selfish dragon to his original self, showing how his original generous self won in the end. This is also one of the reasons why Rarity is my favorite of main six for teaching Spike an important lesson on generosity.

Episodes like this show that Spike has potential to be an excellent character, but it seems like he's being thrown around in the background too much.

Edited by LeonShi500
  • Brohoof 1

When Spike saved the Crystal Empire, it was pretty anti-climactic... there was potential to make Spike greater, give him something to struggle on then he overcomes it and rises to the top. Maybe stand up to Sombra or something but he was pretty meh throughout the whole episode and only at a whim got the Crystal Heart to Cadence but they could of made that scene a bit more dramatic or something.

He is the definitely the nicest little dragon you will find in Equestria. I never really cared much about him though but that does not mean I hate him although the one thing I find weird about him is that he's a dragon but he has a crush on a pony? That would make for an interesting pairing.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Actually, when you think about it, Spike is a surprisingly round character. He's mature for his age, but can sometimes be immature. He has crushes. He also can be unsure of himself, such as when he felt useless in Power Ponies, or when he felt pressured in Equestria Games. He also has fears (Twilight no longer needing him). He also can get jealous, like in Owl's Well. 

He's good at a lot of things. Besides cooking and cleaning, he's shown to be good with instruments (plays the piano in Over a Barrel, and plays the drums in Testing), and is good at figure skating (watch the trick he does near the end of Tanks For the Memories).

We also know his interests. He likes cooking, comic books, and hoofball cards.

Edited by VG_Addict
  • Brohoof 1