Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Spike?

CastletonSnob

I think he is kinda funny, but also sometimes kinda boring :T. He has his great moments and sometimes he is just a doormat. I think he is a good character though. 

• Brohoof 4

I like him and his personality especially his interactions with Twilight Sparkle.

Since Spike is one of the characters I can relate to the most he is one of my favorite characters in the FIM.

He has potential as a main character, certainly. I wish the writers didn't so often abuse his apparent childish naivety for comedy or as cause of some episode long conflict, similar to Pinkie Pie. I prefer the interpretation / portrayal  of Spike that is mature and useful.

I notice Spike is kind of a polarizing figure, people either like him or hate him.

So, what are your thoughts on the dragon?

I like him, and think he's probably the most well-written and complex character in MLP, as far as personality and flaws and fears and all that stuff goes

• Brohoof 1

Spike is a confusing character.  I mean he has a great deal of loyalty and has made the mane six laugh many times.  He has some identity issues and honestly I'd like to know where his egg came from.  Did the ponies steal it from a nest like the dragons would've stolen a phoenix egg?  Or did some ponies purchase the egg off a dragon who's greed has grown so much that they forsake their own kind for gems?  Just a thought i suppose.  

I think that the role he has now is okay and i think he gets a bit too much hate. Yes, most of his episodes weren't really good and i think he's better off as a secondary character, but i wouldn't go so far as to say that i would kill him off, like some people would suggest. I like him for what he is and i can laugh at his antics.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As I stated on my profile, he is my favourite "Non-pony" (because of course he is a dragon, not a pony).

I just like the little guy (as I like reptiles (dragons do count) and amphibians in general).

Heck, I even made this post here. :)

Edited by Jonny Music

Spike was better in Season 1. More open to speak his dislike to hang around the other ponies. Then later he became a complete pony pleaser.

I love Spike, granted he's not seen as much as everypony else, but Spike is funny, silly, and adorable to watch. I also love that he has a crush on Rarity like a schoolgirl, and Rarity in return calls him Spikey-wikey.

• Brohoof 2

I made a vid on spike once, It pretty much sums up my thoughts on the dragon and his potential. 

to sum it up: He has a ton of potential if they are willing to play with the in show canon about him instead of ignoring him entirely. 

• Brohoof 2

I like him but lately he has not been getting the respect he once had. In the earlier seasons Twilight relied on his input and opinions more but so far all of his appearances this season have been cheap gags. People used to say that Spike doesn't get enough respect and I disagreed, but now I agree. And with this new cutie map thing, it almost seems like the writers are trying to exclude him. If the map shows who is supposed to go where by presenting a holographic image of their cutie mark, how is Spike, who doesn't have a mark, ever going to get called on any missions? He didn't even come along on the first one.

• Brohoof 1

He's ok, but I generally don't like the episodes on him.

The only time I really liked him was at the beginning of Dragon Quest, when he was wondering who he was, where he comes from etc.

I hope he'll find his family someday.