Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does the Brony phrase "Love & Tolerate" mean to you?

Kivil

Ever the changing face between ally and opponent you are, my friend. :okiedokielokie:

That's not the same thing as living by "love and tolerate." To love is to love unconditionally and to see good even in those that would mean you harm, to tolerate isn't to allow harm upon yourself but rather to turn the other cheek.

I disagree. I'm not going to love someone if they insult me. And tolerating someone insulting me is basically allowing them to keep doing it.

I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I'm not changing my stance.

I disagree. I'm not going to love someone if they insult me. And tolerating someone insulting me is basically allowing them to keep doing it.

I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I'm not changing my stance.

As is your right, just don't dismiss mine as pure folly as I don't yours.

As is your right, just don't dismiss mine as pure folly as I don't yours.

I'm not. You have every right to disagree.
  • Brohoof 1

Ever the changing face between ally and opponent you are, my friend.  :okiedokielokie:

That's not the same thing as living by "love and tolerate." To love is to love unconditionally and to see good even in those that would mean you harm, to tolerate isn't to allow harm upon yourself but rather to turn the other cheek.

Don't get me wrong. The idea behind it is decent but the way it's forced on people pisses me off sometimes. Instead of actual conversation people will just resort to "hey, hey, let's love and tolerate guys" and white knighting like that really grinds my gears.

Don't get me wrong. The idea behind it is decent but the way it's forced on people pisses me off sometimes. Instead of actual conversation people will just resort to "hey, hey, let's love and tolerate guys" and white knighting like that really grinds my gears.

Well then it's not really "love and tolerate" is it?

I can call pushing a child to the ground an act of kindness, that doesn't make it one.

Well then it's not really "love and tolerate" is it?

I can call pushing a child to the ground an act of kindness, that doesn't make it one.

That's kinda my point. A lot of people preach it but don't practice it, or practice it wrong.

Although I still don't know how it came into being. I don't think the show ever actually says those words.

• Brohoof 1

That's kinda my point. A lot of people preach it but don't practice it, or practice it wrong.

Although I still don't know how it came into being. I don't think the show ever actually says those words.

It doesn't. The same way "Beam me up, Scotty" was never once uttered in Star Trek yet is tied to the series. (Especially since Scotty was the damn ENGINEER, he wasn't even on the same deck of the ship! . . . Sorry.)

It became linked to the fandom when used in image macros on 4chan's /b board. Usually in placement of violent phrases.

e.g. "I'm going to love and tolerate the shit out of you."

Thing is though, the early fandom didn't always mean that sarcastically, and in fact took of like a rocket when it wasn't. Some early bronies, myself included, saw that as a legitimate school of thought. If the internet is otherwise filled with such unfiltered toxicity, why shouldn't one try to kill 'em with kindness?

It doesn't. The same way "Beam me up, Scotty" was never once uttered in Star Trek yet is tied to the series. (Especially since Scotty was the damn ENGINEER, he wasn't even on the same deck of the ship! . . . Sorry.)

It became linked to the fandom when used in image macros on 4chan's /b board. Usually in placement of violent phrases.

e.g. "I'm going to love and tolerate the shit out of you."

Thing is though, the early fandom didn't always mean that sarcastically, and in fact took of like a rocket when it wasn't. Some early bronies, myself included, saw that as a legitimate school of thought. If the internet is otherwise filled with such unfiltered toxicity, why shouldn't one try to kill 'em with kindness?

Someone's gotta do it, I suppose. Personally, I'm ill-equipped to do so. I'm not a compromising individual and I'm not kind in the slightest. I couldn't do it if I tried. Thus, I don't preach it. :lol: