Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does the Brony phrase "Love & Tolerate" mean to you?

Kivil

The question is in the title,

To me it means that no matter if you are a Brony/Pegasister, Anti-brony, or just not a Brony that we Bronies/Pegasisters (<- Hate that term by the by.) all have to understand why they think or don't think like us, and we must stay calm when anti-bronies get onto us.

• Brohoof 5

It means to me that everyone should be loved by someone no matter who they are and I can say that I love all my friends here on forums <3  Tolerating means that we shouldnt accack on people if they attack us we shouldn't listen them and let them be who they are.

• Brohoof 5

Doesn't really mean anything to me. It's something we adopted from the show and claim to follow, but I literally can only think of about two of three people that actually use it. Everyone else just uses it when they're losing an argument or something.

• Brohoof 4

I think it's pretty pointless. It's just an excuse used during arguments and such, like someone above mentioned. It's hypocritical if the fandom adopts it; there are always people that will abuse it or just backfire from the meaning it delivers.

Plus, I don't think it's ever been said in the show itself. O.o

I love what the phrase stands for, not so much the phrase itself. The phrase often sounds like some kind of Brony creed as if it is unique to bronies or something. I don't think the phrase 'love and tolerate' is required to actually do those things. Not absolutely everything can be loved or tolerated either.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Absolutely nothing. This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but I feel that 99% of bronies who claim to love and tolerate don't actually do that, but instead do the opposite, normally to trolls or negative comments.

Edited by Blackened

I don't really see love or tolerating happening a lot, but it's just a phrase that's there to be there. Nice phrase, but it's not a thing you have to do if you don't want to. 

Wow, I thought a lot more people followed it. The way I see, its just a way to show bronies are more mature about liking Mlp than 'anti-bronies' are. Like its just a good show we enjoy watching, why argue that?

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I may get some hate for this but... It is my belief that Love and Tolerate is an old overused phrase and because it is overused it holds little significance in the community anymore. In a community of well over 10,000,000 people you can bet there are some that do not follow the practice.

I personally cringe whenever someone uses Love and Tolerate in a defensive way (90% of the time they do). Either as a way to falsely bury anger or believing the brony community has the exact same stigma as it did in 2011, which is completely false.

For me personally, It's a phrase and it exists, nothing more. Some people still follow the Love and Tolerance practice like white on rice. If this is you, go ahead, keep at it, but for me this phrase is a passing phase that in 2015 is no longer relevant.          

Edited by Zantetsuken
  • Brohoof 1

It's a meaningless phrase that sounds good on paper. And that's why people say it. So that they can look morally superior without actually doing anything, simply for being males who watch a little girl's show. Watching a show means nothing. If you feel the need to say this phrase over and over again, then you're just spewing out words. Those who truly follow the spirit of these words don't need to say it. They just do it. This phrase is fiction that isn't even in the show. 

Also, it's not a good choice of words for what it's trying to convey. Love is a very serious word and shouldn't be thrown around frivolously. You can't "love" someone if you don't know them. As for tolerate, it really just means you're sitting there and gritting your teeth as you wait for the bad situation to go away. Breaking it apart like this really makes it sound sarcastic and condescending.

A better phrase in my opinion would be: "Accept and move on." It's easier said than done, but it conveys a much better meaning in my opinion. Just accept that things suck sometimes, and then try to move on with your life without dwelling. 

• Brohoof 3

It means you show love and compassion to anyone regardless of who they are.

In order to love someone though, you first have to learn to tolerate them.

And to tolerate, you have to understand who that person is, what they're going through, and what are their beliefs.

In my personal opinion though, this fanbase doesn't deserve such a motto.

A grim reminder of what a fool I've been for believing that bronies are anything more than mere consumers (and the occasional creators) of content. A phrase that stands for broken promises and commitments that never see the light of day. 

• Brohoof 1

It's gotten to the point where I use "love and tolerate" as a sort of Turing Test to determine if I want to be around someone, because the amount of times someone says that always seems inversely proportional to how much time I want to spend with them. It's just a defensive and repetitive phrase people use to try and end an argument when it gets uncomfortable for them, and it's immature in the "look at me, I'm being mature" way. 

• Brohoof 2

Love : an intense feeling of deep affection

Tolerate : allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of something (that one does not necessarily like or agree with) without interference

I know it's a pie in the sky fantasy, but if more people took that saying's face value to heart, the world would be a much better place. 

As it stands, it seems to mostly be used as a passive aggressive troll phrase, which is a shame.   

(edited)

I am astounded (and disappointed) at the number who see this creed as empty. We're bronies, for God's sake! When I joined this fandom back in season one it was because there was a culture of positivity, compassion, and indeed tolerance. The ONLY time I've ever not seen this, is when negative bronies SAY it's not there! Like some of you are paranoid that some things really can be just that good so you have to create negativity.

That phrase to me, is one I have seen exercised by the fandom every time I see a brony in real life. I've seen people overcome racial prejudice and save people from suicide because of the fandom's creed of "love and tolerate."

What does it mean to me? It's the motto of this fandom and I have seen too much evidence to support it to convince me otherwise. 

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 3

I usually go out of my way to be nice to everyone I meet

I know for a fact it takes some getting used to my personality

Still, you're always going to run into people who will hate you no matter what you do, so when you run into them, don't waste time and energy on them, just ignore them

And if they throw the phrase "Aren't you supposed to love and tolerate everyone?" at you, I usually counter with "Certainly, but you aren't "everyone" so why should I waste it on you?"

• Brohoof 3

I think that most people use it incorrectly. If someone doesn't like MLP and you say,"I'll love and tolerate you." You seem ignorant and insecure. People have different opinions, and should not be treated like they are wrong because of their position. If someone is really rude just ignore them instead of saying it. Also it started as a 4chan joke.

• Brohoof 1

I am astounded (and disappointed) at the number who see this creed as empty. We're bronies, for God's sake!

-snip-

You, I'm not surprised thinks this way.

"A weakened mind always sees everything through a black veil. The soul makes its own horizons; your soul is dark, which is why you see such a cloudy sky."

~Alexander Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Well. That escalated a tad too quickly, don't you think? :o

The way you're phrasing things seems incredibly condescending and out of line with the whole "Love & Tolerate" motto. People need to learn to let their guard down and stop being so awfully defensive. If SunBurn has a negative view on the term, then surely he/she might've had a bad experience that's led to that conclusion? Also, the Alexander Dumas quote reeks of thinly veiled ad hominem rather than anything genuine. I mean, c'mon, darkened soul? Might as well have tossed a shriveled black heart as cold as ice or two in there while at it. :mellow:

“I simply want to live; to cause no evil to anyone but myself.”

Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

But, to get back to the topic.. "Love and tolerate" is just another phrase to me, as "Live and let live" was before it. I prefer to see people live up to their ideals, not monologue them to me. Words, in my personal experience, have rarely been more than just that.

• Brohoof 2