Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What music to you write to?

Mez

I always write to celtic music when I write my fics, it's calming and relaxing. I'm usually anxious when I write and leads to mistakes, but it helps a lot. What do you guys listen to while either writing music or writing fics?

Edited by Mezcass
  • Brohoof 2

I assume that you mean writing stories? Well, I don't do that, but I do write songs. I find that when I write lyrics, it is easier to write them to the tune of a specific song, then change the tune to something original afterwards. I commonly use songs in the folk punk genre (Andrew Jackson Jihad, Flogging Molly, etc) or folk genre (Bob Dylan, Neil Young, etc)

• Brohoof 1

Electronic music of any kind. It helps pump me up and gets me to wake up and write.

Stuff from Cash Cash, Savant, Daft Punk, and Zedd are some examples.

Stuff you'd hear on Galaxy News Radio in Fallout 3 is also pretty good, it definitely helps me focus.

Or video game OSTs overall, music from Cry of Fear, the Silent Hill games, the Mario games, the Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask, the Pokemon games, etc...

• Brohoof 1

I feel my most creative listening to really upbeat music, or really silly music. It makes me feel all hyped up. xD

I can see that last one working for a comedy.

• 8 years later...

When I was taking art classes back in college Rush was the biggest thing I always listened to. Really inspired me.

I listen to a lot of goth rock when I write. Like Bauhaus and The Cure for example.

I listen to absolutely nothing. I have to have total silence when I’m working on stories, lyrics or most anything else. If I’m working on something musical, listening to other music would take me out of my mindset constantly. It’s like trying to sing one song while listening to another; it just can’t be done. When I’m writing fiction I have to think, and silence is most conducive to that end. The only creative projects I can listen to music with are arts or crafts that don’t require much attention or extensive thinking, and in those cases I listen mostly John Williams movie soundtracks or an audiobook.

• Hugs 1