Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music What Music Did You HATE Growing Up?

Reecejackox

When growing up, I didn't care for majority of the new pop songs they played on the radio. Emo, pop rock, r&b, edm... pretty much everything and anything that would be popular enough to climb up the charts. (Not perhaps issue of quality but quantity and repetition though...) The one music style I remember myself consistently disliking was hiphop. Younger me wasn't impressed, wasn't a fan :P

But, as often with these things, sooner or later nostalgia kicks in and now decade later I find myself kinda liking those songs/genres :D

I used to dislike Russian music a lot, with few exceptions (basically "all Russian music is crap, except what's on this reel and this record"). This most likely was because everybody listened to it when I was a kid and I hated that I could not understand the words (though the same did not bother me when listening to songs in English or other languages). I still do not particularly like it, but I am more open to playing a tape of Vladimir Vysotsky etc.

I still don't really understand the words though.

Edited by Pentium100

I grew up when MTV was still about music, then later we had fuse, used to hear some real gems, I don't think I'm nostalgic for it, maybe a little, but ultimately music stations should be about music, there needs to be a 24 hr block of different music genres split into tops, it's just with the internet, torrenting, shit like Spotify to stream, this would be obsolete in their eyes, but I think it would be a good way to address what music is still the most popular, cmt does this shit still

Anything too mundane, really. To be honest. I am terrified of what GOD has created down here on earth. I honestly was not meant to wake up. I don't know what I'm doing here. But you surely remember the times when YHWH used to come from above. And if there was anyone who did not abstain from their earthly "desires", for at least a week. They would be instantly killed in his presence. That's GOD, for you. At least according to scripture. I believe he finds the process of life... a little yucky. The thing is, according to the knowledge from my great-grandmother on the masonic symbol. Meaning the "G" locked within the square and compass. God is now trapped within his own creation. And that is a problematic prospect for poor, innocent GOD.

My god. I am so afraid of humankind and life in general. Because I've seen your worst from the times of Babel. And you can be absolutely terrifying. Just brutal. But I love you, still. Especially your art and music. As long as it is not too mundane. Like Enya or Enigma. It calms my wrath for a creation that ultimately reflects what I don't want to see about myself.

Edited by They call me Loyalty
  • Brohoof 1

I don't remember when I was really young, but in my teens I remember hating on rap and pop punk/punk all of the time. lol. I eventually came to actually like punk. As for rap, well, I don't listen to it, but just leave it at that now instead of being a stick in the mud.

It was somewhere in my mid-teens that I switched from listening to modern pop/rock to older music. I vaguely remember the reason having to do with the kind of music the modern station was shifting toward playing. It might have been rap, but I think I recently read something I wrote all of the way back then that complained of "dance music". Funny, because what I associate with that now is the pop I dislike today as well. Meaning very electronic with obnoxious noises to mark the beat.

5 hours ago, Envy said:

I don't remember when I was really young, but in my teens I remember hating on rap and pop punk/punk all of the time. lol. I eventually came to actually like punk. As for rap, well, I don't listen to it, but just leave it at that now instead of being a stick in the mud.

It was somewhere in my mid-teens that I switched from listening to modern pop/rock to older music. I vaguely remember the reason having to do with the kind of music the modern station was shifting toward playing. It might have been rap, but I think I recently read something I wrote all of the way back then that complained of "dance music". Funny, because what I associate with that now is the pop I dislike today as well. Meaning very electronic with obnoxious noises to mark the beat.

I used to be a bit similar when I had a dislike of hip-hop and electronic back in my teenage years. Once I went to college though I mostly learned to put my biases away from different genres of music, and ironically nowadays electronic music is one of my favorite genres. Even hip-hop and electronic music can get quite experimental, like most other genres. Electronic itself ranges from minimalistic ambient and downtempo to very abrasive breakcore and drum'n'bass.

I used to really not like country music or its subgenres. I still don't particularly care for it, but I'll listen to it with the caveat that I'm in the right mood to do so.

Edited by Sasoriman

• 1 month later...

Whatever my sister was listening to as a kid, i.e, all of the Disney Channel drivel.

I've now come around to rap music as an adult, but as a kid I hated it, mainly because everyone I knew who listened to it at school was always a douchebag

• 2 weeks later...

This is weird, but I didn't like much music growing up. I thought of most of it as noise rather than music, and so I didn't listen to music much growing up. Didn't have a specific genre that I hated because I didn't listen to much music.

I hated country but that was mostly because the post-9/11 jingoistic brocountry got popular a few years before I started really listening to music, so that was all I knew until a few years ago and I started listening "real" country. Not a fan of invalidating whole genres by saying they're not real, but fuck brocountry lol

Big fan of bluegrass and more old-style country these days.

I also hated rap but I think that was just because I was always into rock and metal, so hating rap was cool. I also had a very long "popular stuff is dumb" phase which meant I avoided hip hop all through high school and a bit of college, too. I still don't listen to a ton of hip hop but it's on the playlist.

• 11 months later...