Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nightmare Crystal (OC)

StrawberryKitty

So here is my OC in Nightmare form. I had actually started this picture a very long time ago, but completely forgot it. I don't really enjoy working with lineart, but I remember it taking a while when I had done it so I didn't want to completely ditch it haha. Either way I'm pleased with the outcome.

• Brohoof 7

Thank you xD! I'm too scared to post all of my speedpaints on here because I feel like I would be spamming xD!

I think you should release your paintings in periodically ;)

while it is a nice pice, the mane and tail need some work. The tail itself looks as if it is flowing in the wind, yet the curls curve forward to a such a degree that it makes it seem as if there is no wind at all.

The mane looks as though it is being pushed forward yes at the same time strands are heading in the opposite direction. The curls in the mane hold a strong form, causing it to loose a silky look for plastic.

The horns size and length should be factored in when deciding head tilt as it shows there is little or no weight when there should be.

the tufts on the hooves should also sway not only with movement but with any air currents as well.

Her body seems to lack the look of weight, I don't know if this is on purpose, but the way she carries herself puts her to look extremely lightweight. 

for art made for the night, the shading should be more dramatic as the current light shading causes a daytime effect for light heartedness, night time shading should show a larger flow of dramatic scenery and lighting.

All in all, I don't have to tell you your art is nice, as you seem confident in yourself. The strokes seem strong and fluid, and that shows you can be a respectable artist. It makes me happy to see an artist with confidence in their work, so keep it up!

• Brohoof 1

while it is a nice pice, the mane and tail need some work. The tail itself looks as if it is flowing in the wind, yet the curls curve forward to a such a degree that it makes it seem as if there is no wind at all.

The mane looks as though it is being pushed forward yes at the same time strands are heading in the opposite direction. The curls in the mane hold a strong form, causing it to loose a silky look for plastic.

The horns size and length should be factored in when deciding head tilt as it shows there is little or no weight when there should be.

the tufts on the hooves should also sway not only with movement but with any air currents as well.

Her body seems to lack the look of weight, I don't know if this is on purpose, but the way she carries herself puts her to look extremely lightweight. 

for art made for the night, the shading should be more dramatic as the current light shading causes a daytime effect for light heartedness, night time shading should show a larger flow of dramatic scenery and lighting.

All in all, I don't have to tell you your art is nice, as you seem confident in yourself. The strokes seem strong and fluid, and that shows you can be a respectable artist. It makes me happy to see an artist with confidence in their work, so keep it up!

Hey thanks for the input! I must say, I feel like this would've turned out better if I didn't use line art, but since I began it with line art I didn't want to ditch the time put into it! I feel sort of "locked" when I do line art, unfortunately.

I understand about the shading, if you see in the speedpaint I actually attempt to add more, as if the lighting were coming from behind her. I didn't like how this looked as I don't work with black very often and instead wanted to focus on the light that might've reflected onto her coat. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean of weightless, but she is supposed to be something of a myth, taller, very long hair and horn, rarely seen. I didn't realize she came off as that, but if she does, I really don't mind!

Thanks! [:

So beautiful.. I need moar! Let me know if you post anything else

Well here's my channel if you wanna see! xD

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe3cA3O5u_3M-Jg56IE2aAw

• Brohoof 1

Hey thanks for the input! I must say, I feel like this would've turned out better if I didn't use line art, but since I began it with line art I didn't want to ditch the time put into it! I feel sort of "locked" when I do line art, unfortunately.

I understand about the shading, if you see in the speedpaint I actually attempt to add more, as if the lighting were coming from behind her. I didn't like how this looked as I don't work with black very often and instead wanted to focus on the light that might've reflected onto her coat. 

I'm not quite sure what you mean of weightless, but she is supposed to be something of a myth, taller, very long hair and horn, rarely seen. I didn't realize she came off as that, but if she does, I really don't mind!

Thanks! [:

I always keep the original sketch scan file when I go to make line art, so I can redraw something if it seems off. As for that sort of shading, it would essentially invert the light and dark, making the light creep over the edges and the darker shading dominate the body, while using a different light source to show her face and other key points of the art. Not only does this create a seductive tone for the piece, but it also shows a sort of diamond in the rough characteristic for the main attraction.

By weightless I mean that an alicorn is fairly large, and her wings are quite big as well. The weight of the body should show pressure of the hooves on the ground, however this does not, you drew her to look practically weightless, while this concept is great for otherworld creatures, spirits, and goddesses, Weight can drag the art down if not used correctly.

This piece does well to show the character to be a graceful yet powerful pony, and the hair as well as the setting compliment the body and face.

Edited by Hisoka
  • Brohoof 1