Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Bronies-NYC Meetup Location In A Crime Filled Dangerous Area Again >:(

GXPBlast

I am part of Bronies NYC and I tend to go to their monthlies which are basically large gathering once a month. The first one is in march and as the last two were cancelled due to planning for ponycon. We usually have a meetup in a nice area of NYC and its big enough for all of us.

Well, there is going to be a meetup and I want to go since its been awhile but its in a very ghetto and crime ridden area of NYC known as Harlem. The party goes into the night and I am concerned being around fellow bronies or just being in a crappy area, that I will get mugged or something.

Do you think I should go, I am really scared of that area of the city as they had one meetup there and I was very uncomfortable walking around that area.

I dont understand why they would have it there knowing how dangerous it is and vulnerable some bronies may be.

The meet up was our usual party space until it was changed a week ago and a bunch of people dropped out I guess after seeing the area.

Whats you thoughts should I go, any others part of the BroniesNYC group plan on going or have thought son this? Also why do you think they are having it in such a shady area again. Also do you think I should go and leave early or not go at all?

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I went to Harlem once and wasn't thrilled about it. I'd skip it.

I did not even RSVP because of the location change. Went to Harlem the last time and thought I was gonna get jumped lol. I am dissappointed they are there again. I can understand they could not get their last location but I wish they used older locations like Cap 21 and Pearl studios which were all in safe areas and were nice to be at.

Edited by GXPBlast

Oh Ive never done Bronies NYC. I just meant Ive physically been to Harlem once. If you are in a large group and leave in daylight, maybe, but I've tried to avoid strange places at night.

There's also the stabbing spree happening in the city. I don't feel comfortable lately and I'm in an okay area where one happened last week.

Definitely not, but if you truly wanna go to the meetup, then i advice you have lots of company and bring pepper spray or a baseball bat, and try to leave as early as possible before it gets too dark.

I hate to say it, but I would pass because Harlem is dangerous enough as is. Adding people with pony shirts and MLP plushies(I don't know if that is common with your local group, but it is with mine) just paints a nice big target on you, especially in a shady area, and even with a group of other bronies just think about how they might have group mugging sessions at night. For your safety, don't go, there will be other meets.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I'm a New Yorker myself, and Harlem (especially the deeper areas like that East Harlem locale) isn't one of the best areas to go to, especially at night. I'd skip it.

I would be more understanding of it was in the nicer parts of Harlem, but the East is the worst part and bronies have giant targets on their backs especially at night. Don't know why they had to choose Harlem and especially the East crime ridden side.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 2

I actually wanted to go to that meetup, but due to financial issues I'm having at the moment, and my little sister's birthday is this week, I am unable to. The area I live in is also ghetto-like (NYCHA development in Downtown Brooklyn) but not as bad as Harlem. I believe the group was in Harlem in 2014 for a New Years Eve Party.

The closest I've ever been to Harlem was the Upper West Side, and the latest I left that area was 10-10:30. You can go, but just be attentive to your surroundings.

Edited by JRex95

(edited)

I actually wanted to go to that meetup, but due to financial issues I'm having at the moment, and my little sister's birthday is this week, I am unable to. The area I live in is also ghetto-like (NYCHA development in Downtown Brooklyn) but not as bad as Harlem. I believe the group was in Harlem in 2014 for a New Years Eve Party.

The closest I've ever been to Harlem was the Upper West Side, and the latest I left that area was 10-10:30. You can go, but just be attentive to your surroundings.

Yeah I saw you are not coming. Either way its a good excuse to stay away from the location. Also since you live in a relatively shady area and if you say that part of area is even worse, I decided I am defiantly not going. I am upset I am not going to make it because I really wanted to go, but my safety is more important. I really think somebody should talk to they people in charge of the group and voice their concerns, its really not a good idea to have it at that location or anywhere near Harlem. When I was at the last location in Harlem I was not the only person to complain about it. Either way, although I am upset, I save about $30 since I dont have to get a meal ticket, travel, and pay admission lol.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

I am part of Bronies NYC and I tend to go to their monthlies which are basically large gathering once a month. The first one is in march and as the last two were cancelled due to planning for ponycon. We usually have a meetup in a nice area of NYC and its big enough for all of us.

Well, there is going to be a meetup and I want to go since its been awhile but its in a very ghetto and crime ridden area of NYC known as Harlem. The party goes into the night and I am concerned being around fellow bronies or just being in a crappy area, that I will get mugged or something.

Do you think I should go, I am really scared of that area of the city as they had one meetup there and I was very uncomfortable walking around that area.

I dont understand why they would have it there knowing how dangerous it is and vulnerable some bronies may be.

The meet up was our usual party space until it was changed a week ago and a bunch of people dropped out I guess after seeing the area.

Whats you thoughts should I go, any others part of the BroniesNYC group plan on going or have thought son this? Also why do you think they are having it in such a shady area again. Also do you think I should go and leave early or not go at all?

Depends how bad you wanna go I suppose. I'll tell ya mate, if I was going to Harlem to hang, I'd be packing heat, so if you're going, bring some protection. I'd imagine though that you're just a kid and it would be illegal for you to wield weapons, so perhaps it would be best for you not to go.

Also since you live in a relatively shady area and if you say that part of area is even worse, I decided I am defiantly not going. I am upset I am not going to make it because I really wanted to go, but my safety is more important.

You have every right to be upset, but you also have every right to stick to your guns. Bronydom is about being interested in FIM, and an interest should never trump your safety. You did the right thing deciding not to go.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

You have every right to be upset, but you also have every right to stick to your guns. Bronydom is about being interested in FIM, and an interest should never trump your safety. You did the right thing deciding not to go.

Its really messed up that the bronies in charge of the meetup are willing to put others in danger like that (although not directly) but should know colorful pony plushies, costumes and shirts on adult men with thug populated, crime ridden, gangster, mob, gun crime ridden East Harlem NYC do not mix.

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 1

If being in a area like Harlem late into the night scares u so bad, then u should probably skip it. Unless u make other plans, such as

1. Leave with a group

2. Leave a little bit earlier, and call a trusted friend/ parent etc. etc. to pick u up and give u a ride.

3. Call a cab

Under no circumstance do you walk by yourself late at night. If that's the only option then, you're better off just skipping it.

Its really messed up that the bronies in charge of the meetup are willing to put others in danger like that (although not directly) but should know colorful pony plushies, costumes and shirts on adult men with thug populated, crime ridden, gangster, mob, gun crime ridden East Harlem NYC do not mix.

This is almost hilarious, actually. Are the organizers out of their mind? Why not doing it in a war zone next time? :-D

Too dangerous. Avoid it!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Just look at the crime map, over 1500 crimes per 1000 people right smack in the red zone. Bronies are fresh meat for the wolves of Harlem. Seriously what were they thinking?  :=:  I mean this is the second time they had a Harlem meetup that's rather large. :diamondtiara:

sig-4432877.desktop.jpg

Edited by GXPBlast

No risk, no fun? :D

Nah, but seriously, I wouldn't go to that place. Kinda hard to believe that the organizer of the meetup thought that it'd be a good idea to take harlem as location.