movies/tv Comcast buys dreamworks animation for 3-8 billion dollars

Nuke87654

http://www.wsj.com/articles/comcasts-nbc-universal-to-buy-dreamworks-for-3-8-billion-1461849691

Well some bad news to bear folks, Comcast bought dreamworks animations for the price between 3-8 billion dollars and is now owners of beloved Ip's like Shrek, How to train your dragon, Kung fu Panda, and others.

How bad you guys think this will get as personally I'm assuming Dreamworks demise here in being that bad.

Edit here's a link avoiding the paywall, sorry bout that. http://money.cnn.com/2016/04/28/media/comcast-dreamworks-nbcuniversal/

Edited by Nuke87654

I can't read the full story unless I sign in. Wall Street Journal sucks. 

As for the topic, this is rather....perplexing. It is a purchase I honestly would not have expected. I can't say for certain if this will have a negative impact or not as I don't know a whole lot about Comcast. 

• Brohoof 1

KyoshiFrostWolfSIG1.jpg.b0b2e3d0d15e6abf25982983986dcba1.jpg

Comcast is a pretty shitty company, so I don't now well this will go for the House of Ogre. Of course, I said the exact same thing with Disney after Marvel and they went on to have one of the biggest movie franchises ever, so who knows?

• Brohoof 1

On the one hand, Universal is way better at marketing than Fox, and this will help DreamWorks, who have been hemorrhaging money for 4 years. Unfortunately, this could easily lead to unnecessary crossovers (I don't want to see the minions be more overexposed than they already are).

• Brohoof 3

f.jpg

"Work Hard! In the end, passion and hard work beats out natural talent."
- Pete Docter 

Well Dreamworks has been doing pretty bad for the past few years, so something like this was inevitable in my eyes.

As long as this allows the company to stay alive and be able to create more movies like the How To Train Your Dragon and Kung Fu Panda Series as well as Rise of the Guardians, then I am fine with this.

• Brohoof 1

CJlO22H.png

This was coming for sometime. Even though DreamWorks has some great franchises in Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, and others (my fave being Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas), the company has been reported to have been losing money for sometime now. Supposedly Comcast has been wanting to add to it's inventory and supposedly compete more with Disney animation.

However I'm not too positive on the long-term end result of all of this. :/

• Brohoof 2

0C974976-AEAC-473F-A904-E17FE9F80486.png
Pathfinder I Sojourner I CorsairZu'hra I Autumn | Scarlet Willow | Gypsy | Silverthorn | Crystal Whisper | Radiant Historia | And many other OCs~
Matching signatures with mah Bestie MOONLIGHT <3

I am kind of indifferent on this. This could end either very good or very bad.

I was always more of a Disney guy. But i would lie, if i didn't liked movies like Shrek (atleast the first 2 movies), Kung Fu Panda and How to train your Dragon. Hopefully, the guys the animation department are just being left alone and can continue to do their own thing.

My OC Mesme Rize: >https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/mesme-rize-r8777

img-31596-1-img-31596-1-msg-34233-0-90052000-1465262037.jpg

Thank you Randimaxis for this Wonderful Avatar. smile.png

Please, don't be afraid to talk to me. I am not as unapproachable, as you might think.

I don't like Comcast very much, but it is very possible that they will still let Dreamworks do their thing. If that is the case, then I see no problem with this. However, if Comcast starts telling Dreamworks how to make movies, then it could go downhill fast. 

Comcast is not  movie company. They don't know the movie industry like Dreamworks does. Let's hope they work together rather than Comcast thinking they know what they are doing. This isn't exactly like how Disney bought Marvel or Lucasfilms. Disney knows the movie industry, so buying companies that make movies was a good move.

But... Comcast is a large company and the combined resources of them and Dreamworks could be a great advantage.

Edited by El Duderino

Interesting that Steven Spielberg directs his firat Disney movie right before his pet animation company goes for sale. I can't say Comcast would be a good move for the company, but if they keep the same staff and let them do what they do (like Disney does with Pixar) it could be fine.

ezgif-5-195349d93672.gif.635dae235c083828c0ca26674abe835e.gif.361b56c29ddd1e04b8f20d25978552ed.gif

Courtesy of @Sparklefan1234