Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Chernobyl Disaster

Durov

Is Anyone Interested In The Chernobyl Disaster?

If So I Have Made This Thred For Fanfics About It Etc.

Anyways Looking Foward To Talking :D

@

Just so you are aware, I have gone ahead and altered the title of this thread to give it more proper context.

377720883_dde9ba546f_o.jpg

i first found out about it through topgear as they were doing this stupid challenege where they have a more then full tank and yet they have to run out of gas before they get their. so they dont have to drive around it with low gas.

its scary as shit. it reminds me of fallout.

I have always found the place interesting.  It is cool to see how long it takes for cities to fall apart after they have been abandoned.  It is also a dark reminder of what can happen when nuclear reactors go wrong.  Kind of sad because it really created a lot of fear about nuclear power which in my opinion is an excellent source of power.

That area will be habitable for people again in 3,000 years. Maybe well before then, we can build something that will allow for safe extraction of all tons of radioactive material and send it off somewhere else, like space.

I think it's a reminder of how terrible the power of nuclear energy is. Human error have made the very land tainted with horrible radiactive fallout. It will probably stay that way for a few hundred if not thousand years.

• Brohoof 1

The story i remember is that some idiot was doing an unauthorized experiment. Which clearly went wrong.

There is also a picture of the reactor that had to be taken by mirrors because if you even looked at it, you'd die instantly.

• Brohoof 1

Chernobyl disaster is fasinating! I mainly like it from the WONDERFULL Stalker game franchise and, the Stalker universe with all the book and fanfics. That version of the disaster is more interesting ^_^

(edited)

I think it's a reminder of how terrible the power of nuclear energy is. Human error have made the very land tainted with horrible radiactive fallout. It will probably stay that way for a few hundred if not thousand years.

I'd call it a reminder of how much care needs to be taken with nuclear energy, rather than a condemnation of nuclear energy as a whole.

yes, it has had a profound effect on a few places on earth, but coal and oil have been more damaging to people and the environment in the aggregate (on a per unit energy basis, and overall).  Also, it is not hard to make the case that relatively "green" energies like hydroelectric has been more damaging to people and the environment than nuclear.  

The energy challenges of the world are not solved by throwing babies out with the bathwater.  there is no perfect energy source, and no silver bullet.  

---

And yes, I'm fascinated by the disaster.  I'm currently reading a book called "Nuclear Accidents" (Mahaffey), that is a bit hard to recommend, because it goes pretty deep into the science of each accident, and it might be unsatisfying if you don't have the nuclear background to understand everything it says.  But it is a very good book. 

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 7

@, YES! I am very interested in it, as you can probably tell. I'd recommend a book called "Voices Of Chernobyl" which is about the people who actually lived there and were evacuated. The evacuation wasn't done on the day, either. When the explosion happened, many went to a bridge near the reactor to watch the pretty orange flames; most of those people later died from radiation poisoning.

There are loads of great documentaries on the disaster and aftermath on youtube if you look. I got my name from the Przewalski's Horses who live around the area. Here's a video of them:

• Brohoof 2

Nuclear power is far less damaging then other energy sources like coal or oil. The Chynobyle incident only happened because of a screw up from the operators.  Fukoshima only happened because of bad design.  Apparently a similar situation occurred to a power plant in India I think but it turned out all right in the end because the cooling pumps were on the roof.  I also think that a new type of reactor is being designed which is almost melt down proof.  

On the topic of Nuclear power, check out Thorium.  It creates something like 98% less waist then Uranium power.  Much safer and efficient then the current nuclear power plants.   

• Brohoof 3

Chernobyl disaster is fasinating! I mainly like it from the WONDERFULL Stalker game franchise and, the Stalker universe with all the book and fanfics. That version of the disaster is more interesting ^_^

You do realize how wrong that sounds, right?

• Brohoof 1

I'd call it a reminder of how much care needs to be taken with nuclear energy, rather than a condemnation of nuclear energy as a whole.

Oh I wasn't condemning nuclear energy as a whole. It's clear we cannot rely on conventional methods for our power as they are much more costly to us in the long run. The thing is, nuclear power will always be dangerous, at least in our current models of extracting it, and humans always are prone to error. You must always remember and fear (or at least respect) this tremendous power because if you don't you're bound towards disaster again.

• Brohoof 3

Nuclear power is far less damaging then other energy sources like coal or oil. The Chynobyle incident only happened because of a screw up from the operators.  Fukoshima only happened because of bad design.  Apparently a similar situation occurred to a power plant in India I think but it turned out all right in the end because the cooling pumps were on the roof.  I also think that a new type of reactor is being designed which is almost melt down proof. 

Not to mention the fact that the area around Chernobyl is only dangerous to humans settling down there. There are hundreds of animal species which live there, some who are native to the area and some who were introduced later on.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2016/04/060418-chernobyl-wildlife-thirty-year-anniversary-science/

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/23/wildlife-returns-to-radioactive-wasteland-of-chernobyl/

Sure, those animals might be radioactive but it doesn't seem to affect them. However, if you went there, killed a wild boar and ate it, you might not feel so good. XD

That area will be habitable for people again in 3,000 years. Maybe well before then, we can build something that will allow for safe extraction of all tons of radioactive material and send it off somewhere else, like space.

The surface is already "habitable" and if you go to Chernobyl now it's pretty certain that there's not enough radiation to kill you there; in fact there are certain tour groups there, albeit restricted to make sure tourists don't get themselves unintentionally hurt. The reason why no one can build on it, though, is that a lot of radiation is trapped underground, which makes demolishing or erecting houses impossible without leaking more radiation and creating more trouble than its worth. 

So yeah, being there is fine as long as you don't tread into the dangerous radioactive areas. But humans staying there, no. Most animals seem to adapt fine, though.

The story i remember is that some idiot was doing an unauthorized experiment. Which clearly went wrong.

There is also a picture of the reactor that had to be taken by mirrors because if you even looked at it, you'd die instantly.

The basement of Reactor 4 is the part you're talking about, a.k.a the Elephant's Foot. It's a radioactive lava pool that will instantly kill you once you stare at it, and when they tried to take it with the camera, the film immediately got destroyed. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Oh I wasn't condemning nuclear energy as a whole. It's clear we cannot rely on conventional methods for our power as they are much more costly to us in the long run. The thing is, nuclear power will always be dangerous, at least in our current models of extracting it, and humans always are prone to error. You must always remember and fear (or at least respect) this tremendous power because if you don't you're bound towards disaster again.

oh, now that I've reread your first post, I see that you were stressing the power of it, not the good/evil of it.  

Edited by weesh
  • Brohoof 1

Bloody hell this post has exploded anyways I have been looking into some stuff and I found out about the red forest a place where alot of rubbish and fallout fell when it fell there the leaves turned red thus sparking the name "the red forest" anyways maybe I will do a fanfic about ponies Comeing into the chernobyl area anyways thanks! Will be posting soon.

P.S I also have been looking into parts of Belarus that where afeted

@ Pripyat pony

Yes I know about soviet officials being stupid and not evacuating witch I think we can all agree on was very stupid.

As for the book I will look it up sounds very interesting.

Anyways thanks for posting!

I can't remember the name of the game right now but it's about fallout in Moscow war I think anyways it's all about the savivovors liveing in the metro

I don't know, but every time I hear "Chernobyl," or "Fukushima," or anywhere there was a nuclear disaster, I have "Cheeki Breeki" in my mind.

Good luck on the fanfic, and keep it cheeki breeki!

• Brohoof 1

Bloody hell this post has exploded anyways I have been looking into some stuff and I found out about the red forest a place where alot of rubbish and fallout fell when it fell there the leaves turned red thus sparking the name "the red forest" anyways maybe I will do a fanfic about ponies Comeing into the chernobyl area anyways thanks! Will be posting soon.

I believe, The Red Forest no longer exists. Got cut down.

Yes I know about soviet officials being stupid and not evacuating witch I think we can all agree on was very stupid.

Actually, that was far worse. Local government was so desperate to cover their failure, they declared, that normal temperature of human body is 38° C, or a bit higher.

I can't remember the name of the game right now but it's about fallout in Moscow war I think anyways it's all about the savivovors liveing in the metro

"Moscow 2033" and "Moscow 2034". Nice games, good book series.

As someone who studied Russian Culture, this was definitely an episode that showed the Soviet people just how low their government had sunken.  The incompetence with which it was handled, coupled with the heroic sacrifices made by the workers and soldiers to contain the radiation, makes for an incredibly tragic, if morbidly interesting, story.  To complete my contribution, I have a photo essay from The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/gallery/2011/apr/26/chernobyl-nuclear-disaster-in-pictures#/?picture=373906351&index=0

I don't know, but every time I hear "Chernobyl," or "Fukushima," or anywhere there was a nuclear disaster, I have "Cheeki Breeki" in my mind.

Good luck on the fanfic, and keep it cheeki breeki!

Why? Just why? It was dezaster it's not "cheeki breki" srsly why would you say that? T-T just why in case you didn't hear alot of civilians died After stupid russia let them look at the lovely flames of the dezaster

I believe, The Red Forest no longer exists.

Hmmmm but last I checked it was still there and if they had cut it down the ones cutting it down wud be ded.

And it's only if you go in it you die other than that it doesn't pose mutch of a threat.

Anyways I will look into what you said about it I might be wrong : P

• Brohoof 1

The saddest victims of all were the firemen who were sent to put out the blaze in the reactor. They were not told that the site was dangerously radioactive and many of them died from acute radiation sickness. Read about them here: https://timster1973.wordpress.com/2012/10/13/the-firefighters-of-chernobyl/

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why? Just why? It was dezaster it's not "cheeki breki" srsly why would you say that? T-T just why in case you didn't hear alot of civilians died After stupid russia let them look at the lovely flames of the dezaster

Sorry if I made you upset or something... I've just been watching too much Boris!  ^_^ I've yet to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is where the meme, "cheeki breeki," came from.

Edited by d^_^b

Sorry if I made you upset or something... I've just been watching too much Boris!  ^_^ I've yet to play the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series, which is where the meme, "cheeki breeki," came from.

I love STALKER and Life of Boris, too, but maybe it was a little insensitive to bring up memes when talking about a real-life disaster where about four thousand people are believed to have died directly and indirectly due to radiation poisoning, and with thousands of children being born with severe congenital deformities to this day.  On top of all that, you have thousands of cases of lead poisoning due to the Soviet government dropping lead bricks onto the reactor to contain the radiation, only for it to vaporize in the intense heat and condense along the countryside.