Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv What show of Transformers should I start with?

CastletonSnob

Well I'm mostly biased when i say this but Transformers Beast Wars is a great show. Even for a new comer, the characters are great and the first few episodes get you up to speed pretty quick. 

There also Tranformers animated which is pretty fun to watch too. Unless you ment the 'bay'former films ...yeah your better of wit the animated shows

• Brohoof 3

Agreed on Beast Wars. That got me into transformers. It hasn't aged well visually. But the characters and story are amazing. 

After that, it'd be the 'Unicron trilogy' Transformers: Armada, Transformers: Energon & Transformers: Cybertron. Well done shows as well. 

After that, I'd say the original G1 show & movie.  

Transformers Prime!

I would normally recommend Beast Wars as it was one of the best shows and set the tone for Transformers from there on out but honestly Transformers Prime tops as a story and it doesn't suffer from the Season 1 Rough Patch nearly as badly as Beast Wars did. Plus it is best that you get an introduction to a Transformers series with the Autobots and Deceptions first as those are the main factions in Transformers as a whole. Watch Beast Wars second as it is a really good show especially after it hits its stride.

In order of recommendation

1. Transformers Prime

2. Beast Wars.

3. Transformers Animated

And for the love of Primus DO NOT watch the Armada Trilogy!!

Edited by The Coffee Pony

Ditto on Beast Wars. While the CGI might not hold up too well today, it's still a great show with interesting characters and isn't lore heavy that a newcomer would be lost. 

I want to recommend Transformers Animated since it's also a really good series, but that series is littered with so many shout outs and nods to previous series that it might be a bit much. Although, it does have the second best Megatron in my opinion, first being Beast Wars Megatron.

Finally, you might want to give Cybertron a go. Despite "technically" being part of the Unicron Trilogy, it has little to no connections to the previous two so it stands as a one-off well enough. Though... the quality of the dub of the first 5-6 episodes are terrible, with characters and including an entire scene where a character (Thundercracker) not only has another character's voice (Starscream), but actually refers to himself as Starscream. It get's better after that though.

• 4 years later...

Transformers Prime if you want to really get invested in the characters or Bayformers if you are looking for super cool Transformer battles. It's all about your personal preferences, each show/movie appeals to different audiences and individuals.