Big Jim confirmed about the show's target demographic. IT FOR LITTLE GIRLS.

Lambdadelta

I don't blame Jim for getting annoyed with the fandom: I find the general attitude of the fandom these days to be unbearable. It seems as though all the fandom does these days is complain about how everything is terrible and how much better things would be if it was 2011 again.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner
  • Brohoof 4

I don't blame Jim for getting annoyed with the fandom: I find the general attitude of the fandom these days to be unbearable. It seems as though all the fandom does these days is complain about how everything is terrible and how much better things would be if it was 2011 again.

I feel like that's all we got anymore and I don't say that like it's a bad thing as it's important to keep a community. Criticism is the only thing we have left and even that is running out. 

sig-33597.sig-33597.o1kum.gif

MLP was intended for little girls, but FiM changed that. Before FiM or even as FiM was being produced, no one even knew that the brony fandom would come into play. I mean, just before G4 came out, G3 was the peak of little girls. It was as girly as things could get. But alas, when it was deemed too girly and completely went flat on everything...that's when G4 started with Lauren Faust. Really, if you take a look at it, it's for everyone. It may be difficult for youngsters to understand certain blurry lessons such as Feeling Pinkie Keen, and Newbie Dash (which I consider Newbie Dash to just be a bad apple in the bunch), but it comes across easily for us adults. The way FiM is designed and written makes it a show for everyone, and not just little girls. The highly developed characters (and their growth) are an example.  

The way FiM is designed and written makes it a show for everyone, and not just little girls. The highly developed characters (and their growth) are an example.  

So what you're saying is that shows for little girls can't have highly developed characters?

• Brohoof 1

So what you're saying is that shows for little girls can't have highly developed characters?

They can...but in other shows...the writers just can't seem to make developed characters. FiM's crew has some of the best writers of all time. 

I feel like that's all we got anymore and I don't say that like it's a bad thing as it's important to keep a community. Criticism is the only thing we have left and even that is running out. 

Is it? When a fandom stops creating new content and does nothing but criticize, said fandoms shrivel up and die. I was drawn to the pony fandom because of its creativity: if criticism is really the only thing we have left as a fandom, then I might as well leave, because the thing that drew me to the fandom in the first place is gone.

Edited by Silvestra Spooner

Is it? When a fandom stops creating new content and does nothing but criticize, said fandoms shrivel up and die. I was drawn to the pony fandom because of its creativity: if criticism is really the only thing we have left as a fandom, then I might as well leave, because the thing that drew me to the fandom in the first place is gone.

Naw. The creativity is still there and will be for several years to come. Even if the the show were to end at the movie the fandom will chug along just fine without it I would imagine for quite a while. As long as the people in the fandom still love the characters, the ideas and the universe this all takes place in, there will always be a fandom creating stories, art and inspiring others to do the same.

That being said, we have a new season coming, a film, and a couple of  ongoing comic series, so I don't see any shriveling and dying anytime soon. I just think the negative people tend to be more vocal than the positive people so you will naturally see a lot more criticism over praise in a lot of places.

• Brohoof 4

~No profound statement needed~

Ugh, I'm reading some facepalm-worthy comments around. OK guys, FiM's target demographic, IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS, PERIOD. That is a good and intelligent show for the intended audience that also attracted an audience outside the demographic? That's a clear sigh of it's quality. They can make one or two things for us, but don't demand this show to be something that is not  :dry: . Geez, when he used swearing against us is a clear sigh we went too far  :dry:

• Brohoof 4

img-32537-1-post-15132-0-63886300-146778

Sig by Discords

Ugh, I'm reading some facepalm-worthy comments around. OK guys, FiM's target demographic, IS FOR LITTLE GIRLS, PERIOD. That is a good and intelligent show for the intended audience that also attracted an audience outside the demographic? That's a clear sigh of it's quality. They can make one or two things for us, but don't demand this show to be something that is not  :dry: . Geez, when he used swearing against us is a clear sigh we went too far  :dry:

What the fans want to see are usually things that the writers just can't do because their mandate is to follow whatever Hasbro told them to do. Do I think Big Jim setting his twitter feed to private was a good idea? Yes because he didn't want to have to deal with those who don't appreciate the hard work that gets put into this show, but also no because it gives off the impression that he doesn't like dealing with criticism. Personally, I'm more towards the yes side.

• Brohoof 1

rainbowfalls_sig.png.9f23ec82e216af1315704914cd3052b1.png

"Oh it's for little girls? I can't like or watch it then."

Nah, if I like something, I don't exactly care. I won't stop liking it or watching it because of...of something that I've known since even before I started watching it, in fact  :sunbutt:

• Brohoof 3

"Oh it's for little girls? I can't like or watch it then."

No you can't sorry. I already told everyone this before though. Time to go watch the news and then Wheel of Fortune or something. Or hey, there is this new manly show on where first people build these wicked motorcycles and then try to consume them later in eating contests. It's intense.

I know what demographic that show caters to. :love:

~No profound statement needed~

What the fans want to see are usually things that the writers just can't do because their mandate is to follow whatever Hasbro told them to do. Do I think Big Jim setting his twitter feed to private was a good idea? Yes because he didn't want to have to deal with those who don't appreciate the hard work that gets put into this show, but also no because it gives off the impression that he doesn't like dealing with criticism. Personally, I'm more towards the yes side.

As far as I understand, Hasbro usually leaves the writers to do what they considers, except for the occasional new toylines of the year: like the Wedding, Crystal Empire, Princess Twi, Rainbow Power, Cutie Mark Magic (to a lesser extent), and McFlurry. I don't see that changed by now :huh:.

Also, I also agree about privatizing his tweet. But I doubt it's because the lack of appreciation, but because we go overboard with it, to the point of insults and stuff  :dry: . No seriously, if I were him, I'd be like "I', too old for this shit  :scots: "

• Brohoof 2

img-32537-1-post-15132-0-63886300-146778

Sig by Discords

As far as I understand, Hasbro usually leaves the writers to do what they considers, except for the occasional new toylines of the year: like the Wedding, Crystal Empire, Princess Twi, Rainbow Power, Cutie Mark Magic (to a lesser extent), and McFlurry. I don't see that changed by now :huh:.

Also, I also agree about privatizing his tweet. But I doubt it's because the lack of appreciation, but because we go overboard with it, to the point of insults and stuff  :dry: . No seriously, if I were him, I'd be like "I', too old for this shit  :scots: "

I've seen some of the nasty comments that were posted on his twitter account and it shames me to know that there are those in the fandom who would act like that. Why not just appreciate what we're getting instead of complaining because certain things aren't being brought up in the show?

Is that how it works with Hasbro and the writers? Okay, that does make more sense than what I said, but I'd like to think there are some things Hasbro will view as off-limits because of the nature of MLP.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen some of the nasty comments that were posted on his twitter account and it shames me to know that there are those in the fandom who would act like that. Why not just appreciate what we're getting instead of complaining because certain things aren't being brought up in the show?

Is that how it works with Hasbro and the writers? Okay, that does make more sense than what I said, but I'd like to think there are some things Hasbro will view as off-limits because of the nature of MLP.

Yeah, pretty sure there's some checking, just in case there's something judged inappropriate or whatever. Censorship is magic, too.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, pretty sure there's some checking, just in case there's something judged inappropriate or whatever. Censorship is magic, too.

I think one of the forbidden things Hasbro doesn't want to see in the show is the concept of death.

I think one of the forbidden things Hasbro doesn't want to see in the show is the concept of death.

Well, there was a funeral in "Hearts and Hooves day", and Sombra got blown up...then came back in the comics, but if you ignore that, it's pretty much an on-screen death.

However, they don't seem to want them to do any "Serious" tackling of death, at best we get something like "Tanks for the Memories" where hibernation is basically used as a metaphor for death, or Twilight crying over Celestia in one of the season 4 flashback's where she obviously thinks Celestia is dead but it's never stated.

Basically, they can get death in, just they can't be too obvious or forward with it, at best it's just hinted at, or they use an allegory for it.

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight is best pony.

Why hello MLPForums! What have ya been up to?

Well, there was a funeral in "Hearts and Hooves day", and Sombra got blown up...then came back in the comics, but if you ignore that, it's pretty much an on-screen death.

However, they don't seem to want them to do any "Serious" tackling of death, at best we get something like "Tanks for the Memories" where hibernation is basically used as a metaphor for death, or Twilight crying over Celestia in one of the season 4 flashback's where she obviously thinks Celestia is dead but it's never stated.

Basically, they can get death in, just they can't be too obvious or forward with it, at best it's just hinted at, or they use an allegory for it.

And it's that kind of stance which I think is why they don't want to talk about Applejack's parents. It would be a difficult subject to talk about since death is something that people handle differently in their own way. I know fans wants to know what became of them but it appears to be a subject that would bring the notion of death into the forefront, something Hasbro might not appreciate.

I actually forgot that Sombra being blown up was seen on screen, but because he is seen throughout much of the season three premiere as a cloud-like presence, he could've just had his physical form destroyed yet still live through his corporeal form--which is what happened in the comics.

• Brohoof 1

Hmm do you mean Tank will never be back in the show? I'd never considered the hibernation to be a metaphor for death, just a lesson about facing reality and accepting to move on. And for the Celestia thing, I don't think she'd thought Celestia to be dead, but I suppose that's a YMMV case :squee:

Hmm do you mean Tank will never be back in the show?

He's actually shown up a few times since "Tanks for the Memories". Last time I specifically remember seeing him was in "Do Princesses dream of magic sheep?" but that means he's still alive.

I'd never considered the hibernation to be a metaphor for death, just a lesson about facing reality and accepting to move on. And for the Celestia thing, I don't think she'd thought Celestia to be dead, but I suppose that's a YMMV case

Well, in a broader sense the episode is about dealing with grief and accepting reality, yeah. You don't necessarily have to view it as being about death, but I believe one of the writer's actually said it was their way of tackling death in the show, or as close to it as they could get, I'll see if I can find that statement.

As for the Celestia scene, Twilight's response to the situation just feels to me like she thinks Celestia is dead. Looking down, crying, the quiet "No" she says. I feel like if she just thought Celestia was hurt or unconscious she would have checked on her, maybe tried to wake her up.

I actually forgot that Sombra being blown up was seen on screen, but because he is seen throughout much of the season three premiere as a cloud-like presence, he could've just had his physical form destroyed yet still live through his corporeal form--which is what happened in the comics.

As far as the "Show only" audience is concerned though, Sombra blew up, and there's been no signs of him returning again, and no real hints he survived other than the possibility that he might have. So it may as well have been a death from that point of view, at least until he's shown alive again in the show. Which probably won't happen, because then they'll either have to contradict the comics, or adapt them in some form to explain things. 

Edited by BasementGlimmer
  • Brohoof 1

Twilight is best pony.

Why hello MLPForums! What have ya been up to?

As far as the "Show only" audience is concerned though, Sombra blew up, and there's been no signs of him returning again, and no real hints he survived other than the possibility that he might have. So it may as well have been a death from that point of view, at least until he's shown alive again in the show. Which probably won't happen, because then they'll either have to contradict the comics, or adapt them in some form to explain things. 

And if there's one thing the fandom would go into a tizzy over, it would be whether the comics were canon to the show or not.