Would you rather see random ponies or fan favorites?

ManaMinori

This has been bothering me for quite some time now, and I want to know how everyone else feels about this. You know when you go into a store and see random ponies packaged alongside the mane 6- Flower Wishes, Pretzel, etc., And it makes you go "who the hay are you, randopony?" -scrunchface- you wonder why they're even being sold, rather than, oh I don't know, fan faves like Sunset Shimmer (who has a pitiful amount of actual pony merchandise), Dr Whooves, Lyra, Derpy, Bon Bon, etc.

Do people....do little girls really buy these random ponies they don't see in the show or its spinoff, itself? Do bronies?

Random ponies. I'm sick to death of fan favorites. Sure fan faces show up in Transformers, but they have plenty of new characters to love, hate and legitimately get to know.

This has been bothering me for quite some time now, and I want to know how everyone else feels about this. You know when you go into a store and see random ponies packaged alongside the mane 6- Flower Wishes, Pretzel, etc., And it makes you go "who the hay are you, randopony?" -scrunchface- you wonder why they're even being sold, rather than, oh I don't know, fan faves like Sunset Shimmer (who has a pitiful amount of actual pony merchandise), Dr Whooves, Lyra, Derpy, Bon Bon, etc.

Do people....do little girls really buy these random ponies they don't see in the show or its spinoff, itself? Do bronies?

Why wouldn't they buy them? You can only have the same character so many times. I see the newer characters and toy onlys get snagged off the shelves while the main cast just peg warms. Edited by Leave a Whisper

Interesting question. I've been thinking a bit about characters in the toy line myself. I actually have Flower Wishes and Pretzel. The latter is the nice shiny version. Anyway, MLP does sell lots of toys and has done so since it was a thing but it's not like Star Wars. They don't make a toy for every conceivable character. I wish I could have brushables for a lot of characters that they ignored so far. It's mostly the same characters although the blind bags have more variety. Still, there's a fair amount of characters represented in brushable form from fan favorites to more minor ponies and others like Coloratura (actually RaRa I think). It would be nice to have Fancy Pants, Tender Taps, the crystal pony librarian, and others as brushable toys but I don't think that will happen. More rarer ponies also means an opportunity for collectors to gain ponies that fewer people have I think. It might relate to rarity of specific toys like again, in Star Wars. I do think that the FiM collection did include more ponies though. I don't collect them so I'm not sure.

I love all of the different ponies! I love how cute the random ones look, and their expressions despite not really bing important, so I don't see a problem.

That's really one of the things I love, seeing all the different cute characters. I also love it when they actually get speaking roles, it really makes them more interesting. I have not bought any random characters, but I don't see a problem with them, except when they aren't made well.

• Brohoof 1

I buy Rainbow Dash merch. That's my answer.

Really, though? (And the RD plush bank I purchased today doesn't appear in this photo.)

sig-4773618.attachicon.gifDSCI0062.JPG

Truly. I'm not one of those people who need nine or ten of the same character. I once ended up with 5 Mega Man figures and 4 Zero figures without even trying and gave some of them away.

I understand that some people like to army build of course, but variety for those that don't is good.

I don't understand some people's recent vehemence and confusion when it comes to having new characters and toy only characters. I mean do they act like that in every fandom? Don't like em, don't buy em. I swear it's like some of those people never played with toys as kids.

Edited by Leave a Whisper

I swear it's like we of those people never played with toys as kids.

I remember having some variety, but I also had multiples of favorite characters.  The majority of which, it just so happens, were characters I'd first seen in their respective media.  Thing is: Once I started to exhibit favoritism, my mom was observant enough to notice that I preferred Raphael over the other Ninja Turtles or Mario over Luigi, and she was the one who bought me toys.  Whether you're a child-child or an adult-child, it's...  Kinda more fun to play with or collect characters that you've especial affection for.  I didn't and don't necessarily have anything against the other characters, but I've always played favorites.

Truly. I'm not one of those people who need nine or ten of the same character. I once ended up with 5 Mega Man figures and 4 Zero figures without even trying and gave some of them away.

I understand that some people like to army build of course, but variety for those that don't is good.

I don't understand some people's recent vehemence and confusion when it comes to having new characters and toy only characters. I mean do they act like that in every fandom? Don't like em, don't buy em. I swear it's like some of those people never played with toys as kids.

but what if its the best character!?(Rainbow Dash) then you just have to make an exception don't you!?

Edited by trademark2

but what if its the best character!?(Rainbow Dash) then you just have to make an exception don't you!?

It's not like I don't understand it, which is why I mentioned army building. (People who have more then one iteration of a character) plus my boyfriend is big on clone and storm troopers.

Well...I am considering making an exception for that 8-bit Link amiibo. ^-^

He just warms my NES loving little heart.

I just get tired of seeing the same characters over and over and over and over...and fewer of anything else. Whereas with Transformers or older gens of MLPs you have a very wide variety to choose from. I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Edited by Leave a Whisper