Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming If you could get rid of one thing in the gaming industry, what would it be?

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

My only real big annoyance is the feeling of competition over the feeling of just having fun. I don't mind people competing for fun, but it seems like when people take a game (like Smash Bros for instance) way too seriously is just takes the enjoyment from it.

But I could very well be jaded in that instance.

• Brohoof 1

I have taken a couple of days to really hash this out with myself, but if I could get rid of one thing, it'd be the focus on graphics over gameplay and story. To the detriment of most high res games, often I find that games with lower quality graphics, but more polished controls, intuitive menus, and an enjoyable story draw me in more than the latest 60fps whatever.

If I played a game and found the graphics were "low quality" and couldn't run at 60 FPS, (which is better for your eyes than, say, 30 FPS) I would not be happy.

If I played a game and found the graphics were "low quality" and couldn't run at 60 FPS, (which is better for your eyes than, say, 30 FPS) I would not be happy.

60 FPS is fine. I was using it as an example and chose poorly. However, when it comes to graphics vs. gameplay quality, I'll take gameplay quality every time. If the game is pretty to look at but controls terribly (or doesn't let you control much at all *cough*FinalFantasy13*cough*), I'm not a fan. Immersion through graphics is nice, but it needs to be balanced by also being a fun and engaging game. For me, engagement is in the story, the characters, and the controls. It's why I was a fan of the earlier Active Time Battle system in Final Fantasy, or the turn based like in 10, or even the free roaming active time system they had in 12.

• 4 years later...

Greed. It is the heart of the gaming industry these days, not that most game developers are greedy but that the corporations they work for exist solely to attain as much money from their customers as possible.

• Brohoof 1

On 2017-01-10 at 9:23 PM, Pathfinder said:

My only real big annoyance is the feeling of competition over the feeling of just having fun. I don't mind people competing for fun, but it seems like when people take a game (like Smash Bros for instance) way too seriously is just takes the enjoyment from it.

But I could very well be jaded in that instance.

I completely agree with this statement. It's sad when people take what is supposed to be a game made for fun and ruin it with their egos.

As far as I'm concerned, I know that I speak for a lot of people when I say that microtransactions are predatory and unneeded. 

• Brohoof 1

Battle Passes and Seasons in games. If I want an item that's towards the end of the list of unlocks for the season, I'll either have to grind for it or pay actual money, and I don't want to do either. What happened to just unlocking stuff through doing certain tasks and achievements instead?