gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

The character I'm hoping for the most is Miles "Tails" Prower from Sonic the Hedgehog. Now that Sonic has become part of the roster, (Assuming he's staying) Tails would be most likely to appear as a 2nd character from the franchise. I am also quite a Tails fan.

Another character I'm hoping they could add is Chase McCain from Lego City Undercover. Now, I don't really know a lot about how the gaming industry works, but the game was published by Nintendo, and that means a higher chance of Chase appearing, right?

If they added a 2nd Sonic character, I think Knuckles would be a better choice. He doesn't seem as "natural" a choice as Tails, sure, but Sonic's rival was built with a focus on power. I find the speed vs power dynamic interesting. I'd much rather see Sonic vs Knuckles than Sonic vs Tails or even Sonic vs Shadow. Plus, we'd get a character skilled in fisticuffs.

Well, it is a first party game but it doesn't exactly scream Nintendo.

However, if Paula's getting in, I hope Ness gets a different moveset while Paula takes Ness' old one. Ness uses all of Paula's abilities in Smash, but not in EarthBound, and I think Ness needs some moves that he was actually able to use in EarthBound. Maybe PSI Rockin' can be his final smash.

Yeah. I always found it a bit odd that Ness used Paula's moves instead of more of his own. As for having another Mother series character, I'd rather have Kumatora from Mother 3. A pretty popular character among Mother fans, including me. I find Kumatora more memorable than Paula.

Was there news on the new pokemon characters? ... I am really hoping for Zoroark, or even Haxorus.

As for the Sonic character, id have to go with Knuckles..... gotta have a powerhouse to match the speedster lolz

My guess is that the Namco Bandai character would be Pac-Man, so they can benefit from the advertising (since they're trying to revive the Pac-Man franchise), or Lloyd Irving from Tales of Symphonia since the Tales of series is pretty popular and Symphonia is one of the more well known of the series for it's debut on the Nintendo Gamecube in NA.

If you ask me personally, I'd like the Namco Bandai related character to be Kos-mos from the Xenosaga series. The game was developed by Monolith Soft, which was a subsidiary of Namco Bandai who went on to sell Monolith Soft to Nintendo. Anyway, she's one of Namco's most popular characters (and for good reason too) and I'd really like for her to get in. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to play Kos-mos... 

I don't think anyone outside of Pac-Man, Klonoa, or Lloyd has as much of a chance. Well, maybe Soul Calibur's Nightmare has a chance, but I feel like even that's pushing it.

As much as I like Kos-Mos, I think she'd be a terrible choice, regardless of Nintendo's relationship with Monolith. She's only been on crossovers in Nintendo platforms, it's like putting Morrigan in Smash over Megaman or Viewtiful Joe

• Brohoof 1

I don't think anyone outside of Pac-Man, Klonoa, or Lloyd has as much of a chance. Well, maybe Soul Calibur's Nightmare has a chance, but I feel like even that's pushing it.

As much as I like Kos-Mos, I think she'd be a terrible choice, regardless of Nintendo's relationship with Monolith. She's only been on crossovers in Nintendo platforms, it's like putting Morrigan in Smash over Megaman or Viewtiful Joe

Yeah, I know. I just really like Kos-mos is all, just a personal want. Yeah, Nightmare's probably pushing it too (not nearly as much as Kos-mos though), but he's still a cool character; I wouldn't mind if he got in.

Anyway, I think Pac-man's got the best shot just because of the publicity like I said before, but I'd much rather have Lloyd. I was never much of a Pac-Man fan.

(edited)
If they added a 2nd Sonic character, I think Knuckles would be a better choice. He doesn't seem as "natural" a choice as Tails, sure, but Sonic's rival was built with a focus on power. I find the speed vs power dynamic interesting. I'd much rather see Sonic vs Knuckles than Sonic vs Tails or even Sonic vs Shadow. Plus, we'd get a character skilled in fisticuffs.

Well, it is a first party game but it doesn't exactly scream Nintendo.

Despite how much of a fit I might throw if Knuckles was added instead of Tails, I would still think he would be a great choice. I do like the whole "Sonic vs. Knuckles" idea, with red vs. blue, and speed vs. power.

Also, when was Sonic confirmed a 1st party Nintendo series? Sure, Sonic did appear in the last Smash, and make a crossover series with Mario, but that doesn't exactly make him a 1st party franchise, does it?

Yeah. I always found it a bit odd that Ness used Paula's moves instead of more of his own. As for having another Mother series character, I'd rather have Kumatora from Mother 3. A pretty popular character among Mother fans, including me. I find Kumatora more memorable than Paula.

Unfortunately, I only played about an hour of Mother 3, so I don't actually know who Kumatora is.

I usually can't stand turn-based RPG's, but the reason I decided to play and complete EarthBound was because of how unique it looked from your typical swords 'n' magic JRPG. Even though I did enjoy EarthBound, I just didn't feel the need to do it again with Mother 3.

Was there news on the new pokemon characters? ... I am really hoping for Zoroark, or even Haxorus.

I'm guessing Zoroark will replace Lucario, like he replaced Mewtwo.

Edited by Mars Brownie

The new Smash looks so awesome, both the Wii U and 3DS versions have great visual styles. Can't beliieve they're coming 2014 either, very nice. The fact that Mega Man is in it is very cool, and the Animal Crossing Villager and Wii Fit Trainer seem like great, hilarious editions as well. Can't wait to hear more about it...

Also, when was Sonic confirmed a 1st party Nintendo series? Sure, Sonic did appear in the last Smash, and make a crossover series with Mario, but that doesn't exactly make him a 1st party franchise, does it?  

Sure, Sonic's not 1st party but the idea of Mario vs Sonic has been around for a long time. So pairing them up in a fighting game is actually pretty natural. You know how fantasy match ups work. 

Basically, what I was saying is that the only thing Chase McCain has going for him is being part of a 1st party game (not a 1st party series as far as I know). He's just not very iconic (and nowhere near as iconic as Sonic).

Unfortunately, I only played about an hour of Mother 3, so I don't actually know who Kumatora is.   I usually can't stand turn-based RPG's, but the reason I decided to play and complete EarthBound was because of how unique it looked from your typical swords 'n' magic JRPG. Even though I did enjoy EarthBound, I just didn't feel the need to do it again with Mother 3.

It's a great game. You're missing out ~~ 

img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

(edited)
Basically, what I was saying is that the only thing Chase McCain has going for him is being part of a 1st party game (not a 1st party series as far as I know). He's just not very iconic (and nowhere near as iconic as Sonic).

Oh, I thought you were talking about Sonic being a 1st party Nintendo series there. Sorry about that.

I am aware that Chase McCain is nowhere as iconic as Mario or Sonic is, and him being part of a 1st party game is indeed the only thing backing him up. But again, I don't know much of how the video game industry works.

I'd still like to see him in Smash, but it wouldn't be a surprise to me if he doesn't make it.

Edited by Mars Brownie

I hope Nintendo give us at least 50 characters! it's time to push the boundaries! but at the same time I don't want to see anyone from brawl go! I have the feeling that Ike, nor Roy will make the cut in this smash (lol I'm still thinking about Roy lol) and they will be replaced with FE:A characters instead. Marth is a highly favorite, so he will return with his new costume, now I don't know if nintendo will risk things, and add more than 1 additional character, like TLOZ in melee with 4 characters in the act! (considering that link was alone in SSB)

But if I have to pick some characters to go, they would be Lucario and R.O.B, they are both great characters, but I always thought that Lucario wasn't as memorable as Mewtwo in the Pokemon series and in the media, Nintendo showed us that they listen to the fans, and people has been saying out loud to bring Mewtwo back! and I support this, on the other hand R.O.B is not a videogame character, he is a console thingie or something, I always felt he was misplaced in SSBB.

• Brohoof 2

I hope Nintendo give us at least 50 characters! it's time to push the boundaries! but at the same time I don't want to see anyone from brawl go! I have the feeling that Ike, nor Roy will make the cut in this smash (lol I'm still thinking about Roy lol) and they will be replaced with FE:A characters instead. Marth is a highly favorite, so he will return with his new costume, now I don't know if nintendo will risk things, and add more than 1 additional character, like TLOZ in melee with 4 characters in the act! (considering that link was alone in SSB)

But if I have to pick some characters to go, they would be Lucario and R.O.B, they are both great characters, but I always thought that Lucario wasn't as memorable as Mewtwo in the Pokemon series and in the media, Nintendo showed us that they listen to the fans, and people has been saying out loud to bring Mewtwo back! and I support this, on the other hand R.O.B is not a videogame character, he is a console thingie or something, I always felt he was misplaced in SSBB.

I agree with you there! 50 or more characters would be brilliant, as long as they aren't just clones! Also, Mewtwo was one of my favourite characters in Melee, and I can't believe they kicked out a legendary like him and replaced him with *shudders* Lucario... dry.png

(edited)

You Both Are Right! We Need 50 more chars! and like you said DJ-BRONI3 ..no Clones..but i think MewTwo Should not come back im mean he was awesome and Funny when he went flying off screan.. but he was not good in battle.. and i know cuz i fought him,Giga Bowser,and Ganondorf as Ganondorf in the Event 51 on Melee and when i did it i beat it in 1:42:00..(I Only did it that fast because i was really raging at the Moment) and i took Mewtwo down first.. and when i put him in as a lvl 9 CPU he always when down..

Edited by SurprisalPie
  • Brohoof 1

I agree with you there! 50 or more characters would be brilliant, as long as they aren't just clones! Also, Mewtwo was one of my favourite characters in Melee, and I can't believe they kicked out a legendary like him and replaced him with *shudders* Lucario... dry.png

Let's face it, in Melee Mewtwo was a disappointment, he was criticized as a horrible character and was placed at the bottom of the tier list, no one picked him up in tournaments, and Sakurai is aware of all of this. That's why he wasn't back in Brawl and replaced with Lucario, having that said, I really loved Mewtwo for his highly powered grabs, but I have to be honest here, I struggled to win with him.

I must be really annoying right now, but I am so excited I can't even contain myself >_< seriously I can't :(

look what I've found! some Megaman gameplay and I can see that he will be a nuisance in the right hands, almost all of his abilities are multiple hits reminds me a little bit of Metaknight but a lot slower and I dunno, the guy using mario sucked balls but I could see that his smash attacks are a little bit stronger, I'm not so sure about that though.

Anyways here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF5RZ3cdDHo

You Both Are Right! We Need 50 more chars! and like you said DJ-BRONI3 ..no Clones..but i think MewTwo Should not come back im mean he was awesome and Funny when he went flying off screan.. but he was not good in battle.. and i know cuz i fought him,Giga Bowser,and Ganondorf as Ganondorf in the Event 51 on Melee and when i did it i beat it in 1:42:00..(I Only did it that fast because i was really raging at the Moment) and i took Mewtwo down first.. and when i put him in as a lvl 9 CPU he always when down..

While it's true that Mewtwo wasn't equipped with the tools necessary to be competitive, that's no reason to keep him from coming back. Instead of scrapping the character they should have tweaked his moveset to make him more competitively viable and more fun to play as. I mean, come on, Mewtwo was one of the original legendary pokemon and he got his own movie (the first pokemon movie) which also got a sequel so he's got plenty of backstory and personality to him. He definitely deserves to come back.

• Brohoof 1

seriously am I the only one that is fangasming all over this game? why you let this thread let bury itself in the pile of threads? there's anything else to discuss or comment about the trailers or anything?

on my part I'm curious about a lot of stuff!!!

(edited)

seriously am I the only one that is fangasming all over this game? why you let this thread let bury itself in the pile of threads? there's anything else to discuss or comment about the trailers or anything?

on my part I'm curious about a lot of stuff!!!

I suppose you're right! happy.png Did everypony like the Gerudo Valley stage in one of the trailers? It was my favourite part of OoT, so I'm really looking forward to playing on it! It's so nostalgic! I really hope they have some gimmicks, because there's so much they could use! The gang of thieves, a collapsing bridge, sandstorms, there's loads of possibilities! biggrin.png

Edited by DJ-BRONI3

I suppose you're right! img-1562045-1-happy.png Did everypony like the Gerudo Valley stage in one of the trailers? It was my favourite part of OoT, so I'm really looking forward to playing on it! It's so nostalgic! I really hope they have some gimmicks, because there's so much they could use! The gang of thieves, a collapsing bridge, sandstorms, there's loads of possibilities! img-1562045-2-biggrin.png

I'm completelly clueless about that... on the other hand I think Toon Link won't be returning cuz in the trailer if you take a look at the 3DS version you could see toon link there in the train, it would be weird if he was an actual character in the game

• Brohoof 1

I'll see if I can think of something to keep this thread alive.

You know how Melee had past stages from the original N64 Smash, and Brawl had Melee stages? What Brawl stages would we have/you like to have in the new one?

I want Mushroomy Kingdom, Norfair, WarioWare Inc. and New Pork City.

I'm completelly clueless about that... on the other hand I think Toon Link won't be returning cuz in the trailer if you take a look at the 3DS version you could see toon link there in the train, it would be weird if he was an actual character in the game

If Toon Link isn't returning, I hope they bring back Young Link. He was in Melee before he got replaced by Toon Link, and I miss him.

(edited)

Yeah, but at least it means they won't just be making a clone of Link (I hope)!

You can see a brief glimpse of the Gerudo Valley stage in this trailer at 0:54.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlz-WOglHgo

There was also a bit where it appeared much clearer in one of the other trailers. I can't remember which one! But you can clearly see at 0:54 the corner of a tent, as well as the wooden post for a bridge, just like in this picture of Gerudo Valley gorge:

img-1562070-1-Gerudo_Valley-1024x533.jpg

If you look really closely at the top left of the screen in the trailer, you can even see what looks like the thieves' fortress in the distance!

Edited by DJ-BRONI3

After that trailer, I had two thoughts:

1.  Mega Man gets in Super Smash Bros. before he gets in MvC 3.

2.  Why is it still (mostly) Twilight Princess Link? :(  There seems to be a tiny bit of Skyward Sword design influence but it's predominantly the Link of Twilight Princess.  I'm very much hoping for Skyward Link to be an alternate costume similar to Wario's classic look in Brawl.

If Toon Link isn't returning, I hope they bring back Young Link. He was in Melee before he got replaced by Toon Link, and I miss him.

Oh God no! this is precisely what Sakurai wants to avoid! more clones...you can be sure that Young Link won't be back! I know very little of the Zelda franchise, but I heard that Tingle has been a very popular choice.

I'm pretty sure that Link will be back with Zelda, I am not so sure about Ganondorf. They will have another character for sure, but this one will be recent, from the Twilight Princess saga or the Skyward Sword saga. 

Oh God no! this is precisely what Sakurai wants to avoid! more clones...you can be sure that Young Link won't be back! I know very little of the Zelda franchise, but I heard that Tingle has been a very popular choice.

I'm pretty sure that Link will be back with Zelda, I am not so sure about Ganondorf. They will have another character for sure, but this one will be recent, from the Twilight Princess saga or the Skyward Sword saga. 

Agree, clones were just limiting the creativity of the full roster, i sure hope they stay away from it as much as they can. As for additional LoZ characters, i hope we'll see either Midna, Skull Kid or Vaati. Since Sakurai confirmed that there won't be many 3rd party characters and very likely removal of toon/young link, it's a good possibility. :)

• Brohoof 1

Nintendo: Hey Capcom! We found Mega-Man in the Garbage Compactor. What was he doing there?

Capcom: Oh that old thing? You can have him.

Nintendo: Really? YES! Time to sell some wii-u's

Basically what happened with megaman. 

Young/Toon link isn't coming back, first of all he was in one of the stages as the train conductor, so he won't be in as a character (on the 3ds version at least)

(edited)

I don't actually mind clones very much. I believe it actually makes sense if some characters are clones. Take Mario and Luigi for example, throughout the whole Mario series, Luigi served as a 2nd player character with similar or even exact abilities. Also, if you like playing this character, but you don't like its stats such as a slower speed but high power, you can play this other character who's like the previous, but with stats more suited for you.

However, I don't like the cloning of Capt. Falcon and Ganondorf, and the whole thing about giving Fox, Falco and Wolf the same moveset was a very bad idea. I enjoy playing Fox, but this whole thing is just ridiculous.

But what I was talking about in that post was, if they still decide to make a character similar to Link, but smaller, faster and less powerful, I think they should bring back Young Link.

Edited by Mars Brownie