gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

I cannot wait for the new SSB!

I am super excited to play as The Villager, I wonder what they are gonna do for him!

He's been a part of the Nintendo family since Gamecube, he deserves a grand entrance as far as I'm concerned. 

So far the only returning character reveal so far that surprised me was Toon Link(and tbh, I was kinda hoping he would get cut), I mean who didn't think Sonic was returning?

I don't really care for toon link either, he is a waste of character space. I mean they've already given up characters that weren't cartoon versions of an already awesome character. I wish they would bring everyone back, they should never drop a character from a fighting game. The Dragonball Z franchise taught me that, the more the merrier, who doesn't like options? 

post-19941-0-62109800-1380725842_thumb.png

I was already suspecting Sonic to make a comeback considering his upcoming game Lost World on the Nintendo Wii u and 3DS, plus his popularity of course.

I can say with confidence Snake is going to get dropped and we'll get one more third-party character.. Maybe Pacman? Heck, I dunno.

He does seem to fit in the smash universe.

pacman-thumbsup.jpg

Edited by Floris

I do hope we'll see at least one more Sonic series character, perhaps Tails or Shadow maybe?

But now that Sonic is returning, hopefully that means more Sonic characters will possibly make an appearance?

I highly doubt it. We already have 2 third party characters confirmed for this installment. And we all know what sakurai said about adding third party characters. This will probably be it. I'm sure Snake will not make it to this one. He doesn't really fit into the smash bros universe imo. But he did kick ass in brawl.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, Sakurai stated that Namco might be getting some rep with a third party character, so my guess it'll be someone from Soul Calibur or the Tales Of... series. I highly doubt Pac-Man will fit the cause because he doesn't have an established fanbase anymore.

I just hope 4 is way better than Brawl. Brawl was really a disappointment and I cannot believe it is the sequel to Melee. All because Sakurai wanted to make the game as "anti-competitive" as possible. You realize you can do that by not royally screwing up the physics that were perfected in Melee, right?

Well, Sakurai stated that Namco might be getting some rep with a third party character, so my guess it'll be someone from Soul Calibur or the Tales Of... series. I highly doubt Pac-Man will fit the cause because he doesn't have an established fanbase anymore.

I don't know; I think they're trying to bring Pac-Man back onto the scene and might take this opportunity to generate some interest by putting Pac-Man into the game.

Still, I'd much prefer someone from the Tales of series. The problem is which Tales of character is the right choice? Maybe they should just go with Nightmare from Soul Calibur. He's pretty cool, another villain for the roster and iconic for the Soul series. A solid choice, I'd say.

I just hope 4 is way better than Brawl. Brawl was really a disappointment and I cannot believe it is the sequel to Melee. All because Sakurai wanted to make the game as "anti-competitive" as possible. You realize you can do that by not royally screwing up the physics that were perfected in Melee, right?

I'm just bugged that he tried to make the game anti-competitive. I guess it's because I like the competitiveness of games in general, but is there something inherently wrong with a game having a competitive aspect to it? Sure some people played Melee at the tournament scene but plenty of people just played the game on a more casual level. I think things should have continued on that same path so that both crowds would be happy. I guess he didn't like seeing people turning his game into "srs bsns".

So it's cool that Soniic is back in, not surprising mind you, but still good also totally ecstatic that Toon Link is in again.. :)

Anyway, I wonder if they'll put gen 6 Pokémon in the roster... I think another Pokémon Trainer character with Chespin, Braixen, and Greninja would be a great fit personally, but that's just me. :yay:

Edited by SBB64

I don't know; I think they're trying to bring Pac-Man back onto the scene and might take this opportunity to generate some interest by putting Pac-Man into the game.

Still, I'd much prefer someone from the Tales of series. The problem is which Tales of character is the right choice? Maybe they should just go with Nightmare from Soul Calibur. He's pretty cool, another villain for the roster and iconic for the Soul series. A solid choice, I'd say.

Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has always been the most popular among fans, I can't see anyone from the series other than him getting in

I'm just bugged that he tried to make the game anti-competitive. I guess it's because I like the competitiveness of games in general, but is there something inherently wrong with a game having a competitive aspect to it? Sure some people played Melee at the tournament scene but plenty of people just played the game on a more casual level. I think things should have continued on that same path so that both crowds would be happy. I guess he didn't like seeing people turning his game into "srs bsns".

Masahiro Sakurai stated that he's trying to set the style of the new game to a balance between the competitive style of Melee and the casual style of Brawl. I can't really imagine how it's going to turn out, since I haven't played Melee in a while and my Brawl disk broke even longer back.

He said he's also removed the tripping mechanic, even though I personally didn't mind it.

Edited by Mars Brownie

Lloyd from Tales of Symphonia has always been the most popular among fans, I can't see anyone from the series other than him getting in

From what I remember Luke (at least in Japan land) and Yuri are pretty popular as well. Of course, Symphonia is to Tales of as Final Fantasy VII is to Final Fantasy, which makes Lloyd the best choice. Then again, they might decide to go with that main character from Tales of Xillia 2 (his name is Ludger or something, I think) to get some interest in their latest Tales game that hasn't released in NA or EU yet. 

Soul has more rep in the American market though, and since most of the competitive scene is here in the States, I would think Namco with go with someone like Ivy, Yoshimitsu, or Cassandra seeing as how they have a huge fanbase. I think a character from Tekken is a high possibility too.

There's a problem when you have a fascist organization (Smashboards.com) overlooking all of the nationally recognized tournaments and making a universal ruleset that sucks. I'm glad they axe their "Unity Ruleset" a couple of years ago since TOs were getting pissed off at all the strict bullshit they enlisted. You can't take an obvious casual-oriented game like Brawl and make it into something competitive; you would have to mod it. This is why people make stuff like Project M, because it's way easier to use Melee's engine rather than Brawl's shit.

Honestly, the competitive scene IS ruining the competitive scene.

Now I just need Marth and the Ice Climbers to be confirmed and I will have all of my favorites from the last game. smile.png

post-11395-0-93491700-1384656887_thumb.jpg

That's one down img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png.

Again, I'm not surprised. A popular character and a solid choice. I'm not really a huge fan of him, but I like him well enough.

Also, a new stage! : Mario Galaxy

post-11395-0-52332500-1384657253_thumb.jpg

Quote from Sakurai: "Pic of the day. A new stage, Mario Galaxy!!  The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics."

So, thoughts on the new stage? I think it's an interesting concept, though I'm not sure just how much tactics would change. Seeing projectiles curve their way through the stage should look pretty cool though. Air to air fights should be kind of weird too, considering the angle adjustments. I'm also assuming there is no... uh, floor of death (I never really described the very edges of a stage before; weird) just based on the stage looks in the pic. 

• Brohoof 1

So far the SMG stage is my favorite stage released so far. 

I just really hope they announce a new character soon, kinda tired of seeing the more predictable returning veterans getting announced

Edited by Rusty Shackleford

attachicon.gifmarth_screen-1.jpg

That's one down img-2010949-2-img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png.

Again, I'm not surprised. A popular character and a solid choice. I'm not really a huge fan of him, but I like him well enough.

attachicon.gifdaily.jpg

Quote from Sakurai: "Pic of the day. A new stage, Mario Galaxy!!  The pull of gravity emanates from the center of the planet, so this will require using brand-new tactics."

So, thoughts on the new stage? I think it's an interesting concept, though I'm not sure just how much tactics would change. Seeing projectiles curve their way through the stage should look pretty cool though. Air to air fights should be kind of weird too, considering the angle adjustments. I'm also assuming there is no... uh, floor of death (I never really described the very edges of a stage before; weird) just based on the stage looks in the pic. 

Alright, Marth! Yes! :D He's looking pretty good (still a bit on the feminine side) but cool enough. Most of the character designs in this game are looking quite good. :P I hope they don't tweak with Marth's play style too dramatically.

I am loving that Mario Galaxy stage. We had a Mario Sunshine stage in Brawl, so this is a very logical step. :)

• 3 weeks later...

attachicon.gifdaily.jpg

Is the stage a constantly-rotating planet, quite like how Brawl's Mushroomy Kingdom scrolled to the right? The stage seems very limited in that single image compared to the others we have seen, (As well as the stages from past games in the series) so hopefully?

I am speechless.

To leave out his godly body would be a sin.

I, for one, am looking forward to the dream match that is Wii fit trainer vs Reggie. It's been too long since Reggie last challenged Wii fit on the big stage. This rivalry is almost as fierce as Mario vs Sonic, it's gotta make it in  :o

Edited by Mutemutt
  • Brohoof 2

I thought this was about SSB in general. Come to find out it's about Brawl. *Terrible feeling*.

But the earlier two are a couple of my personal favorite games. Particularly Melee. Brawl came out to me as a COD: MW3 of SSB. I really disliked the new system and a LOT of the new characters. Like Pokemon Trainer. The old ones? Also done better in earlier games. Once again, Melee I'm particular.

Edited by Twilight Sniper

I never understood the hype for Skull Kid, every other game he's just a general nuisance. MM is the only game he was relevant in and even then it was more about the mask the Skull Kid himself. I'm fine with him as an Assist Trophy

I disagree. While I do not hold Skull Kid in high regard as a great character he could definitely add some creative moves to the mix and give us a new Zelda character to play as.  

I'll be honest, I always saw Skull Kid as being a sort of obscure choice of a character for Smash. I think he's best as an assist trophy. Sure, he could have had an interesting play style but you could say that about a ton of possible characters really. 

So any ideas on what he does as an assist trophy? I'd guess dropping the moon and destroying everyone since that pretty much the only thing I remember Skull Kid for. If you want to get really crazy, you could make the trophy activate a timer that forcefully ends the match. It could be something like changing the remaining time to 3 min, no matter whether the time was above or below that before the assist, and then having a small cinematic at the end just for effect.

• Brohoof 1

I'll be honest, I always saw Skull Kid as being a sort of obscure choice of a character for Smash. I think he's best as an assist trophy. Sure, he could have had an interesting play style but you could say that about a ton of possible characters really. 

So any ideas on what he does as an assist trophy? I'd guess dropping the moon and destroying everyone since that pretty much the only thing I remember Skull Kid for. If you want to get really crazy, you could make the trophy activate a timer that forcefully ends the match. It could be something like changing the remaining time to 3 min, no matter whether the time was above or below that before the assist, and then having a small cinematic at the end just for effect.

img-2087795-1-0318_hwu31.gif

LOL Okay. I still don't agree with you or Junpei. I would love to play as Skull Kid though. Dropping the moon would be a kick-ass final smash and I wish we got him as a playable character rather than Toon Link or another character. For the life of me it pisses me off that Nintendo added him again. I really don't care if he is a faster version of Link or whatever. Also Nintendo put the Villager in as well as the Wii Fit Trainer.  Nintendo already knows that they chose pretty weird characters for a Smash game. Granted these characters are more relevant since they made games in both of these series recently but to be honest did you really expect them to be playable? Was there someone out there that thought "Oh I know what I want in my next Smash game I want to play as a fitness instructor!"  I think the Wii Fit Trainer could be a good assist trophy while Skull Kid would be awesome as a playable character. I hope Nintendo's choices for playable characters is going to get better as time goes along. As for Skull Kid not being playable, it's a shame but it is what it is. 

Edited by Seong

LOL Okay. I still don't agree with you or Junpei. I would love to play as Skull Kid though. Dropping the moon would be a kick-ass final smash and I wish we got him as a playable character rather than Toon Link or another character. For the life of me it pisses me off that Nintendo added him again. I really don't care if he is a faster version of Link or whatever. Also Nintendo put the Villager in as well as the Wii Fit Trainer.  Nintendo already knows that they chose pretty weird characters for a Smash game. Granted these characters are more relevant since they made games in both of these series recently but to be honest did you really expect them to be playable? Was there someone out there that thought "Oh I know what I want in my next Smash game I want to play as a fitness instructor!"  I think the Wii Fit Trainer could be a good assist trophy while Skull Kid would be awesome as a playable character. I hope Nintendo's choices for playable characters is going to get better as time goes along. As for Skull Kid not being playable, it's a shame but it is what it is. 

I actually think Villager is a nice addition. I didn't see him coming but I think he's really interesting. Wii fit instructor came right out of left field and I don't really care for her, but I do find her playability hilarious. And I like playing Toon Link, regular Link is too slow and heavy for my tastes, though I'd totally understand if he didn't make it in. 

Anyway, on to the real part of this response. You say Nintendo chose some weird characters, and I agree with you, but Skull Kid still seems like a really weird choice for me, whether those other characters made it in or not. The Zelda series is well established and the progression for playable characters in Super Smash Bros. goes: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf... Skull Kid? In a game of "which one of these don't belong", I'd choose Skull Kid. I figured, if they added another Zelda rep it would be someone more recent, more relevant or more prolific. 

Man, Square Enix had it so easy with Dissidia: just choose all the main good guys and bad guys, everyone's happy.