gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

I actually think Villager is a nice addition. I didn't see him coming but I think he's really interesting. Wii fit instructor came right out of left field and I don't really care for her, but I do find her playability hilarious. And I like playing Toon Link, regular Link is too slow and heavy for my tastes, though I'd totally understand if he didn't make it in. 

Anyway, on to the real part of this response. You say Nintendo chose some weird characters, and I agree with you, but Skull Kid still seems like a really weird choice for me, whether those other characters made it in or not. The Zelda series is well established and the progression for playable characters in Super Smash Bros. goes: Link, Zelda, Ganondorf... Skull Kid? In a game of "which one of these don't belong", I'd choose Skull Kid. I figured, if they added another Zelda rep it would be someone more recent, more relevant or more prolific. 

Man, Square Enix had it so easy with Dissidia: just choose all the main good guys and bad guys, everyone's happy.

Well you and I have different tastes in the characters to include which is fine. I honestly don't care for Villager at all and like you I really don't care for Wii Fit Trainer. I don't like clones of characters and Toon Link is no exception. I wasn't counting on Skull Kid to be playable and he wasn't even in my mind for characters that I wanted to see in the game. When I first saw screenshots of him I thought he was playable and then later I found out he wasn't. I felt some slight disappointment but it's alright and I'm over it.

Edited by Seong

Man, Square Enix had it so easy with Dissidia: just choose all the main good guys and bad guys, everyone's happy.

I still think that it's difficult to choose characters for Dissidia as its sequel, Duodecim, decided to go further and add some supporting characters like Kain, Tifa, Laguna, and Yuna. To this day I'm still surprised that Tifa and Yuna got in over the likes of more popular characters in their games like Auron and Vincent, or other FF games like Locke or Vivi; and I also wish they'd start putting in characters from the spin-offs like Ramza or Marche or even Sora(which admittingly asking too much)

As far as Assist Trophies go, there's just some characters that seem better suited for assist trophies that playable characters, regardless of their potential, in the end of the day there's more than just moveset potential, but also their relevance in their game, their impact, and popularity as well

That said if Golden Sun's Isaac isn't a playable character I'm gonna punch a baby

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Because of a character you didn't want got revealed?

Well, yes... Characters are a huge part of my enjoyment of this series. In fact, they're really where it's at for me.

It's not just Rosalina. If Rosalina was the only disappointment so far, I would still be majorly hyped. However, there is the fact that they're restricting the Wii U version's roster to be the same as the 3DS. Which they've already stated will very likely cause less characters and cuts of existing ones. There is the addition of the Wii Fit Trainer (with the limited roster in mind). There is Toon Link retaining that almost the same moveset as Link when there was so much potential for a fully unique moveset.

So it's a string of disappointments for me. I have nothing against Rosalina (aside from the fact that she hails from a very overrated line of Mario titles), I just don't feel that she should have been next in line for Mario characters.

Well, yes... Characters are a huge part of my enjoyment of this series. In fact, they're really where it's at for me.

It's not just Rosalina. If Rosalina was the only disappointment so far, I would still be majorly hyped. However, there is the fact that they're restricting the Wii U version's roster to be the same as the 3DS. Which they've already stated will very likely cause less characters and cuts of existing ones. There is the addition of the Wii Fit Trainer (with the limited roster in mind). There is Toon Link retaining that almost the same moveset as Link when there was so much potential for a fully unique moveset.

So it's a string of disappointments for me. I have nothing against Rosalina (aside from the fact that she hails from a very overrated line of Mario titles), I just don't feel that she should have been next in line for Mario characters.

True. No doubt there won'be as big of a roster increase due to 3DS limits. But it's just one character you know? Not like you're forced to use her lol.

True. No doubt there won'be as big of a roster increase due to 3DS limits. But it's just one character you know? Not like you're forced to use her lol.

It's not just one character, as I already pointed out.

I have a feeling that, once again, every character I want is going to be overlooked for characters like Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer.

It's not just one character, as I already pointed out.

I have a feeling that, once again, every character I want is going to be overlooked for characters like Rosalina and Wii Fit Trainer.

I can understand that Envy, and I do respect your opinion. But understand this too: The roster isn't going to revolve around you. Sakurai isn't going to pick X character just to please X person. Sakurai is a very picky developer. SSB is a great series, and I'm sure the team knows what they're doing.

Not trying to be a jerk, just saying just because you want X character doesn't mean you're entitled to X character in the game.

Edited by Evil Bright Honor
  • Brohoof 1

sadly, I actually didn't like brawl...(then again I haven't played the plus or minus versions)

I felt it was too gimmicky, and that it was running out of ideas. (Seriously...the LOGO is a weapon now?)

For me, I generally stick to either melee or the n64 version. I guess I'm just "old school."

Not a surprising reveal in the slightest, but I'm glad to see Rosalina becoming more of a regular. She was one of, if not the best aspect of the Galaxy games.

Looking at the gameplay, the lumas seem to behave like a mix of Olimar's Pikmin and the Ice Climbers. I wanna say the lumas will have different effects based on their color, but that would probably be overkill seeing as they can fight without 'em.

Either way, looking forward to see what this gal's capable of.

As much as I love Brawl and the original, I think Melee is my favorite based on the mechanics feeling the most realistic to me. Gravity is so "WTF" in the other two that I've heard both games described as having "floaty physics" by numerous people...and I agree. Action in Melee was tight and swift, which meant I could pwn just about anyone with Fox. And, uh, no random slipping. I'll never forgive Brawl for that.

And as much as I hate the "intuitive" (i.e., gimmicky) design of the Wii-U, I feel I'm cursed to buy every new Nintendo console from now until the end of time as long as there's a Smash Bros. game for it. I will say, though, aside from Mega Man, I don't find any of the newcomers to be particularly welcome additions. I mean, Wii Fit Trainer? Out of all the colorful characters in all of Nintendo's franchises, we get a vapid, faceless puppet who helps you work out. And I know Animal Crossing is widely considered a masterpiece, but…"Villager"? That's not exactly brimming with personality, either, now is it?

But hey, I guess as long as they were able to license a character as iconic as Mega Man, it'll be a solid buy for me. As long as they don't make him totally suck.

Roselina, huh. I must admit, that gameplay reveal makes her look very, very interesting. If there's one character I'm itching to play in the new Smash Bros. at this very moment (besides Megaman because he's in a tier of his own) it's Rosalina. And I'm not even a fan of the Galaxy games... 

• 1 month later...

A potential glimpse of Adventure Mode

SmashBros3DSSingle.png

While I'd like to see them try another story mode, I was so disappointed by the Subspace Emissary that I'd prefer to see something similar to Melee's adventure mode. I also hope the Wii U version gets one too

I actually liked Subspace Emissary. Fighting through the mobs was kind of boring but I did like the cutscenes and the overall plot progression I guess.

I didn't mention it, but Ashley from Warioware is going to an assist trophy and Dedede makes a return. Here's hoping all the other villains make a return as well.

By the way, there some changes on the way for edge mechanics. I came across this just today:

post-11395-0-43368400-1390589105_thumb.jpg

So yeah, edge hogging will be a little different now  that you can sort of replace someone grabbing the edge (or maybe nonexistent if you can trump someone even during their invincibility frames). It doesn't really specify, but I'm assuming that more air time means mores i-frames and I'm guessing more damage means less i-frames.

We'll have to see how it plays out but, from the looks of it, this means less low damage KOs and less camping out on edges to stall.

well no shocker here we already knew those 2 were coming this year, the real shocker would have been if they had to delay it, I hope they don't or I'll get crazy! I hope it's around march this year :(

but seeing that link, wow a new one piece is coming to the 3DS? OH gosh that's super awesome news! :D

As far as Newcomers go, Villager looks alright, Wii Fit Trainer actually looks like a blast, Rosalina looks like a hybred of Peach and Ie Climbers, and Megaman could be cool.

The Vet list is looking tight, hope Sonic gets a good boost in power, as he was sadly underwhelming in Brawl. Hope my favorites from brawl come back, I.E. ROB, Lucas, Pokemon Trainer. And I hope some characters return to their former glory, like Toon Link, Ganondorf, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff...

Strange, I thought he'd probably be one of the ones cut. But I'm not too bothered by his inclusion; in fact, I'm more relieved right now because all of the awful 'leaks' that have been floating around just got crushed in one go, because they either didn't include Lucario, or said that somebody else would be revealed next.

Not that they were to be believed, I'm just glad people can stop talking about them now.

Strange, I thought he'd probably be one of the ones cut. But I'm not too bothered by his inclusion; in fact, I'm more relieved right now because all of the awful 'leaks' that have been floating around just got crushed in one go, because they either didn't include Lucario, or said that somebody else would be revealed next.

Not that they were to be believed, I'm just glad people can stop talking about them now.

Palutena is probably gonna make it into the roster anyway :P

I am curious is Lucario's Mega Evo will be used somehow.