gaming Super Smash Bros. Thread

Fear Moonscar

I'm sort of in a strange place with Little Mac's presentation as well as what was mentioned on the Miiverse post about Little Mac.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmtrmAvL5aw

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAAAYUKlKBIZ0uQ

From the trailer, it seems that he has a very fast side dodge that is faster than Meta Knight's dodge in Brawl and Project M which is ridiculously fast.  It also seems that he can act out of it pretty quick so he can punish you pretty hard with one-two combos as well as rapid punches that Boxers do and then use an uppercut which sends Fox flying for quite a distance.  It also appears that alot of his ground moves have Super Armor which he can take damage but no hitstun interrupts.  His Down B might be a counter as seen with Samus on the Galaxy stage.  I wonder if anybody else notices how low Little Mac looks when he is running through Mario's Fireballs.  So, it seems that Little Mac is a close quarters fighter that is quick, has Super Armor, and can move past most projectiles with his hunched over run.  What about his air game?  It seems that Doc says that he ain't no air fighter as seen fighting against Wii Fit Trainer.  He also seems to be bad with recovering onto the stage, so he might be gimped pretty easily.

The thing that does leave me worried is the Power Meter and how it is a One-Hit KO.  I don't know how exactly he charges the meter up, but it seems the charge isn't slow in comparison to Roy and Ike's OHKO moves.  If the move is not easily telegraphed once charged or it doesn't leave him vulnerable long enough to be punished after he misses or it gets blocked, then that might be a big problem.  From what I look at, it seems that he could get punished if he misses or gets blocked with the OHKO Uppercut.  So it all comes down to how fast he can let it fly once the Power Meter is fully charged.

However, the finer details on Little Mac's Power Meter and his OHKO are up for speculation at this point until either Sakurai explains it or we get hands-on time with the boxing underdog. I'm cautiously optimistic at this point until my issues that I have stated are addressed.

Also, long analysis is long.  :lol:

Edited by Alex Night
  • Brohoof 1

The thing that does leave me worried is the Power Meter and how it is a One-Hit KO.

Are you sure it's even an OHKO? If you look closely at the video, you'll notice that Bowser's damage is at 231%. It's kind of hard to see since they strip away the damage numbers for the punch but it's there. Couldn't get a look at Mega Man's though.

It may just be a strong wind-up punch with a different way of winding up.

Edited by Mutemutt

Are you sure it's even an OHKO? If you look closely at the video, you'll notice that Bowser's damage is at 231%. It's kind of hard to see since they strip away the damage numbers for the punch but it's there. Couldn't get a look at Mega Man's though.

It may just be a strong wind-up punch with a different way of winding up.

Sakurai said it himself on Miiverse that he can turn his standard or otherwise known as Neutral Special into a One-Hit KO Uppercut once his Power Meter is fully charged and says "KO!".  Here's the Miiverse posting in case you missed it in my last post.

He talks about the Power Meter and the OHKO in a comment just below the picture of Little Mac.  So yeah, I'm pretty 100% sure that it is a OHKO.

Edited by Alex Night

Sakurai said it himself on Miiverse that he can turn his standard or otherwise known as Neutral Special can be turned into a One-Hit KO Uppercut.  Here's the Miiverse posting in case you missed it in my last post.

He talks about the Power Meter and the OHKO in a comment just below the picture of Little Mac.  So yeah, I'm pretty 100% sure that it is a OHKO.

I looked at it but missed his second post about it. Kind of weird to add in an OHKO but whatever. I'm still kind of iffy on whether it really is an OHKO or if he's just saying that as a sort of exaggerated homage though, to be honest.

I'm sooo glad it was him instead of Diddy Kong/Dixie Kong (just because they're too predictable) or Palutena.

Not really an exciting character for me personally, but he is a deserving one.

I looked at it but missed his second post about it. Kind of weird to add in an OHKO but whatever. I'm still kind of iffy on whether it really is an OHKO or if he's just saying that as a sort of exaggerated homage though, to be honest.

I hope you are right about Sakurai exaggerating.  It'd make no sense for Little Mac to have a OHKO that kills at zero percent of damage even if his weakness is in the air.

I hope you are right about Sakurai exaggerating.  It'd make no sense for Little Mac to have a OHKO that kills at zero percent of damage even if his weakness is in the air.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later, but I wouldn't be super surprised if it truly was an OHKO. 

On the upside it does look like it's pretty punishable, as you said. I don't think the start up will be that slow though. I'm thinking most of the balancing will be in how fast/slow the meter builds. I am wondering just how you build up that meter though.

Side note: I still can't get past how much armor this guy seems to have... 

• Brohoof 1

I guess we'll find out sooner or later, but I wouldn't be super surprised if it truly was an OHKO. 

On the upside it does look like it's pretty punishable, as you said. I don't think the start up will be that slow though. I'm thinking most of the balancing will be in how fast/slow the meter builds. I am wondering just how you build up that meter though.

Side note: I still can't get past how much armor this guy seems to have... 

I guess it comes down to how much shield damage it does then if it isn't going to be telegraphed easily.  Also, he does have a lot of armor.  I guess you have to keep him off the ground and get him offstage as soon as you can.  He kinda reminds me of Melee Fox in how he can be fast and deal a lot of pressure to opponents.

Getting psyched for this game, I only got into smash on the Wii(hadn't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES). Loved everything about it and spent way time with the title than I thought I would. Although I do love a good fighting game.

While I don't have a Wii U I'll be glad have the new smash find a home on my 3DS.

I'm sorry, but I'm still mad they took out Pichu, Mewtwo, Roy, Dr.Mario, and Young Link. :(

Mewtwo (And to a lesser extent Roy) I can understand, but Toon Link is pretty much Young Link and Dr. Mario was kinda pointless.

Pichu is possibly the most redundant and useless character in fighting game history. Frail as shit, Not that much faster than the stronger Pikachu and his special attacks are borderline suicidal. Brawl did a good justice in taking him out tbh. 

• Brohoof 2

Funny thing about Pichu is that he is much better on Melee SD Remix.  Like high tier good since he is as fast as Fox and doesn't hurt himself with electric attacks on that hack.

Funny thing about Pichu is that he is much better on Melee SD Remix.  Like high tier good since he is as fast as Fox and doesn't hurt himself with electric attacks on that hack.

Honestly, I always found Pichu goood. He's faster than Pikachu has some of his moves has less lag to them, making him a great hit and run character.

You know, I never did like Diddy, but him being a part of the roster just feels right. 

Hmm... there's still no Jigglypuff yet. They wouldn't drop Jiggs, right? No way, can't be... right?

So right now, my top favorite characters revealed are: Mega Man (like, duh), Rosalina & Luma (spiritual successor to the Ice Climber's?), Pikachu and Zelda. 

If we're talking strictly newcomers, Rosalina is actually the one that looks the most interesting to me. Mega Man comes in second. 

Me neither.  Diddy was just freaking beyond annoying in Brawl because of how much he can abuse his bananas once he has one on hand and the other on stage.  Now they increase the range on his Forward tilt A button attack, which he honestly didn't need.  I just hope that this time around, you can use Ukemi (teching) when you trip like in Project M.  At least make it hard for Diddy to get guaranteed follow-ups off of tripping.

My favorites revealed was Mega Man, Sonic (the first two bring my comic book dream battle to life!), Rosalina (My waifu. :catface: ), and Little Mac.  I would say Mario too, but he's got that stupid FLUDD back...  Why not give Luigi his Poltergust 3000 instead?  He's had more appearances with that than Mario with FLUDD. -_-  I would feel a little better if he has his Melee Down air attack, but I'd be wholly satisfied if they gave him his Galaxy Spin for Down B instead of that FLUDD.

Rosalina a spiritual successor to Ice Climbers?  No way, she's the mother of the Cosmos.  She is nobody's successor. :comeatus:

with Lucario in the way do you think Mewtwo stands a chance? :(

I much prefer seeing Mewtwo than Lucario in this game 

tumblr_n0dda0L0BP1s8x60go1_500.png

I don't think Lucario = no Mewtwo

Besides both of them being noticably different, Mewtwo's still an insanely popular character, people are practically begging for his return at this point, Sakurai would be stupid not to being him back imo

tumblr_n0dda0L0BP1s8x60go1_500.png

I don't think Lucario = no Mewtwo

Besides both of them being noticably different, Mewtwo's still an insanely popular character, people are practically begging for his return at this point, Sakurai would be stupid not to being him back imo

I always liked Mewtwo back in melee, and in brawl Lucario was an obvious replacement for him.

I know fans has been moaning for mewtwo to be back, but seeing Lucario again doesn't give me much hopes.