Is Rainbow Dash becoming girly?

St3venp

I've noticed this, especially after watching season6 episode 10, at the end rainbow came out and talked, not in her usual voice, but rather really quiet and feminine, and acted girly. After this I do notice she is starting to become more girly in the other episodes , anyone else?

Edited by St3venp
  • Brohoof 2

I think she feels more comfortable around her friends by this point. Acting slightly more "girly" is merely a result of this. After her lesson in Read it and Weep I feel like her season 5-6 personality is a nice little bit of continuity to her character progression; seeing her less insecure about not always appearing as the "super badass" of the group. Another good example would be in Tanks for the Memories, wherein she feels more comfortable crying her eyes out in front of her friends and allowing them to comfort her. 

• Brohoof 4

She's already had moments displaying a feminine side before in the show, such as saying that loves fun things as a response to Rarity suggesting the mane 6 to perform a fashion show with their new gala dresses, which by the way, she didn't make a fuss about not liking dresses in general or say that she hates dresses because there too girly or anything like that.  There was also the time where she cuddled a parasprite, and went along with the rest of the mane 6 outside of Pinkie Pie in admiring their cuteness.  So I wouldn't say that she became more girly during the events of the series, seeing how she already had displayed feminine qualities from the first season.

Edited by cmarston1
  • Brohoof 3

I'm almost hesitant to post because I would just be repeating what @K.Rool Addict and @cmarston1 said. Though Rainbow still exhibits many of her RD-esque traits, she has grown more comfortable in showing some vulnerability, underscoring that she is fairly dynamic. So perhaps the vocal changes you are picking up are due to that. 

Cmarston correctly points out that Dash quickly broke the idea that she is boyish in the traditional sense. She likes cute things, and she can embrace her feminity. She may still want to put out the 'tough' vibe, and may still be embarrassed by some things (her recent spa outing comes to mind), but there has been a decent amount of growth. 

• Brohoof 3

I think that's called  "character development", aka it's the part of growing up  :)

Although... Yeah, I did notice the change. So is everyone in the mane 6. Possibly everyone in Ponyville. Another reason why I said the show was very well written. New flaws, new lessons to learn, new struggles to overcome. Just amazing. 

I hope they keep up what they do. 

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow dash was always girly to an extent but she always keeps it hidden to act cooler and although she will likely keep letting her girlish side out when she thinks no one notices it's probably a good idea not to call her girly face to face or you might be in big trouble 

• Brohoof 1

It's a common misconception that she was never girly. She likes to be tough, but it's not uncommon to have her show some feminine traits apart from a few outliers(like going to the spa)

I always though AJ was the most tomboyish/masculine of the group, considering, especially early on, she was more prone to rejecting girly things

• Brohoof 1

She always had a girly side. She shows it a few times before season 5. I think she was too embarrassed to show it off though, as she tries to be more "cool." She loves cute things,  like Tank and Parasprites for example, but she tries to hide it. :wub:  

I don't particularly think so and ADO was OOC for her, considering it was previously established that she didn't like hooficures (being the only one of the mane six not to have one). Also, how is showing affection for something, 'girly', exactly? She hasn't lost her competitive streak (as shown by Buckball Season) and isn't exactly afraid to fight either, as shown in Dragon Shy (where she kicked a dragon in the face), A Canterlot Wedding, Slice Of Life, Fall Weather Friends, etc. She's easily the most tomboyish of the mane six imo.

• 4 years later...
On 2017-04-12 at 2:20 PM, Nsxile said:

I don't particularly think so and ADO was OOC for her, considering it was previously established that she didn't like hooficures (being the only one of the mane six not to have one). Also, how is showing affection for something, 'girly', exactly? She hasn't lost her competitive streak (as shown by Buckball Season) and isn't exactly afraid to fight either, as shown in Dragon Shy (where she kicked a dragon in the face), A Canterlot Wedding, Slice Of Life, Fall Weather Friends, etc. She's easily the most tomboyish of the mane six imo.

maybe it was character  development