Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mars by 2024?

GrimGrimoire

We need to go to Mars. We have all the wealth in the world and we waste it on so much things that make no sense. We have the technology. We have the resources. We have the people. It is imperative that Man colonizes Mars and the Moon. We must become a multiplanetary species in order to continue the survival of our race. 

• Brohoof 3

• 10 months later...

The hardest part about mars is two things, being self sufficient and dealing with the massive dust storms that can last months and block the sun. I don't realistically see any colonization plans even being made till the 2060s-70s.

• Brohoof 1
  • Leaves 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, Retro*Derpy said:

The hardest part about mars is two things, being self sufficient and dealing with the massive dust storms that can last months and block the sun. I don't realistically see any colonization plans even being made till the 2060s-70s.

THIS ^^

Edited by ZiggWheelsManning
  • Brohoof 1

22 minutes ago, Iforgotmybrain said:

We couldn’t even get a crewed lunar orbit by 2024… Man that’s depressing.

No, but we expect to be returning to the Moon in 2025, right? Praise Artemis! 

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Otaku-sempai said:

No, but we expect to be returning to the Moon in 2025, right? Praise Artemis! 

Maybe… I wouldn’t be surprised if it gets delayed to 2026 just because of how Artemis has been going. At least it’ll be safer than the shuttle was.

• Brohoof 1

Two words: nuclear subterrenes. Firs go up, then go down. Just slap habitats on a direct energy drill drone and put it on a reentry vessel. It makes colonization much easier when you don't have to worry about environmental hazards. We could first try it on the Moon. Dunno if the tech is all there tho.

• Brohoof 1

Mars by 2024? That’s hilarious. I already posted my opinions here back in 2017 and nothing has changed, nor will it. We no longer live in a can-do world, but a can’t/won’t/shouldn’t-do world. It’s been stagnant for years and it shows no signs of changing unless we get a few billionaires to privately fund, plan and execute it. Problems and obstacles can be overcome, but you have to go over, go through, or go around them; you can't sit on your hands and lament the difficulties. 

• Hugs 1

Speaking more directly to the topic, I doubt we'll have a manned mission to Mars within the next 10 years. Maybe we'll get there within fifteen to twenty years. Let's see what happens when we return to the Moon (projected for 2025). 

(edited)

NASA is looking for volunteers for a simulated Mars mission: https://www.aol.com/nasas-mars-mission-means-crews-205301065.html

If you are up for a year-long space mission, then NASA might just have the job for you.

The space agency said Friday that administrators are seeking applicants for NASA's next research assignment, one that simulates the “challenges of a mission on Mars” as a way to guide future plans for human exploration of the Red Planet.

NASA has a total of three “ground-based missions” planned in this controlled environment, making this the second time they have hosted an open call for the Crew Health and Performance Exploration Analog, or CHAPEA for short.

“With the first CHAPEA crew more than halfway through their yearlong mission, NASA is using research gained through the simulated missions to help inform crew health and performance support during Mars expeditions, the agency said in a release. 

The mission is set to kick off early next year, so be sure to get your application in before NASA’S April 2 deadline.

The article tells you how to apply. Does any creature here hope to be the first brony on Mars? 

Edited by Otaku-sempai