Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A friends system?

I looked around a bit but I don't see a feature for adding ponies as friends. I think this would be a great feature given the subject matter of the forum.

Unfortunately, we *had* a friends system that was integral to the forum software we were using (Invision Power Board) and separate from the following of topics, blogs, etc. But for reasons known only to them they decided to remove the friends system in the 4.0 upgrade, moving into having it use the following mechanics instead. As far as I'm aware, nobody has built a add-on for IP.B 4.x that puts the friends system back the way it was in 3.x. :( 

• Brohoof 5

1 hour ago, Fhaolan said:

Unfortunately, we *had* a friends system that was integral to the forum software we were using (Invision Power Board) and separate from the following of topics, blogs, etc. But for reasons known only to them they decided to remove the friends system in the 4.0 upgrade, moving into having it use the following mechanics instead. As far as I'm aware, nobody has built a add-on for IP.B 4.x that puts the friends system back the way it was in 3.x. :( 

They said that they preferred the content subscription system found in social media platforms to the old friend system. The whole thing caused a fracas with some of their older third party developers getting hot and bothered and Charles doubling down a little. Well ... a lot. 

They are a weird company. It feels like old people trying to act young ... 

• Brohoof 4

2 hours ago, Fhaolan said:

Oh darn, that's a shame.

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Foxy Socks said:

I'm curious, other than it not being called a friends list, what is different?

The biggest difference is that the old system allowed the requestee to reject a friend request. The current systems default's allows me to follow you .... and you can't stop me ...  

200.gif

• Brohoof 5

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

and you can't stop me ...  

You technically can. :muffins: There's an option to disable followers next to the follower count in the profile. However, no one will be able to follow you then, even those who currently do.

It's either everyone or no one.

img-2649428-1-FANMADE_Rainbow_Dash_shrug.jpg

• Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, VengefulStrudel said:

You technically can. :muffins: There's an option to disable followers next to the follower count in the profile. However, no one will be able to follow you then, even those who currently do.

It's either everyone or no one.

img-2649428-1-FANMADE_Rainbow_Dash_shrug.jpg

13 hours ago, Jeric said:

The current systems default's

3 hours ago, Foxy Socks said:

Well honestly there isn't much of a difference. The accepting/declining thing isn't that big an issue as it's public anyway.

The truth of why the changed it was mostly a marketing thing. A "follow" branded system (known as a content subscription system) makes it seem more modern. 

Basically ... Charles and company over at IPS think Twitter is all the rage and web dev is a copycat business. ;)

• Brohoof 2