Getting Started on the Brony/MLP Music Scene?

Midnight Chimes

So I've been doing MLP analysis on YouTube for a long time and am looking to branch out onto the music scene, as I'm an electronic musician and keyboardist for a band outside of the fandom. I'm just wondering if anyone here can advise me on how to get started in this part of the community, like where are good places to go to listen to other musicians, possibly network and promote my work etc. To be honest just recommendations of more good artists to listen to in any genre would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hey there! I can help! So, first off, what genre are you interested in producing? I'm an all-around artist, which is a good thing. Some of the most popular genres of the Brony Music Scene are

• EDM
  • Dubstep
  • Eurobeat
  • Rock
  • Orchestral
  • Brohoof 1

Get an account on Pony.FM and SoundCloud. YouTube is still pretty good for promotion - ask Cider Party for a feature!

DAWs and their strengths:

• FL Studio - EDM and Hip-hop/rap
  • Logic Pro X - all-rounder (MacOS only tho)
  • Ableton - Live performances, dubstep, and EDM
  • Cubase - all-rounder
  • Pro Tools - live recording, mixing and mastering

Edited by Shabb3r
  • Brohoof 1

“All Muslims are like a foundation, each strengthening the other; in such a way they do support each other.” (Abu Musa, Bukhari & Muslim)

“Say: He is God, who is One. God, the Eternal. He begets not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.” (Chapter 112, Qur'an)

Thanks, I'll be primarily using YouTube for promotion but I've just opened up a SoundCloud account as well. I guess my genre would be something like ambient electronica, with some orchestral elements. Not that I want to tie myself down too much, as you say it's good to be an all-round artist.

This is my first music upload and it's quite a typical track for me so I don't know, one of you might know better what genre it goes under than I do. Knowing my genre would probably be useful for SEO and all of that stuff

12 minutes ago, Midnight Chimes said:

Thanks, I'll be primarily using YouTube for promotion but I've just opened up a SoundCloud account as well. I guess my genre would be something like ambient electronica, with some orchestral elements. Not that I want to tie myself down too much, as you say it's good to be an all-round artist.

This is my first music upload and it's quite a typical track for me so I don't know, one of you might know better what genre it goes under than I do. Knowing my genre would probably be useful for SEO and all of that stuff

Would you like me to give you detailed feedback on this?

Just now, Midnight Chimes said:

I'm sure that would be useful, but only if you wish and don't mind taking the time

No not at all. 

It's an ok listen. However, you repeated yourself a lot. You limited yourself to the I and the vi, knowing that this song is in the key of E Major. What you need is a solid four-chord progression that can help you develop your piece more than it is now. I would also not keep that arpeggiated plucked lead moving all the time. It stales out early and becomes more of an annoyance than something that is pleasant to listen to. I see you put in some soft synth chimes, but they could be brought out more. 

Knowing you're pretty new at this, I'm trying to simplify things the best I can. If you want me to, I can coach/mentor you in music production and music theory. 

• Brohoof 2

21 hours ago, C. Thunder Dash said:

No not at all. 

It's an ok listen. However, you repeated yourself a lot. You limited yourself to the I and the vi, knowing that this song is in the key of E Major. What you need is a solid four-chord progression that can help you develop your piece more than it is now. I would also not keep that arpeggiated plucked lead moving all the time. It stales out early and becomes more of an annoyance than something that is pleasant to listen to. I see you put in some soft synth chimes, but they could be brought out more. 

Knowing you're pretty new at this, I'm trying to simplify things the best I can. If you want me to, I can coach/mentor you in music production and music theory. 

Well I know quite a bit about music theory so I get what you mean. It uses E - C# a lot but there is also a B - G# in there I think which is another variation of the I - vi pattern. Those were kind of stylistic choices I made but you raise some valid points and I'll certainly take it onboard. Thanks for the offer, I'm probably not looking for a coach as such but I may come to you for further advice/ideas in future if you don't mind

7 minutes ago, Midnight Chimes said:

Well I know quite a bit about music theory so I get what you mean. It uses E - C# a lot but there is also a B - G# in there I think which is another variation of the I - vi pattern. Those were kind of stylistic choices I made but you raise some valid points and I'll certainly take it onboard. Thanks for the offer, I'm probably not looking for a coach as such but I may come to you for further advice/ideas in future if you don't mind

Aright then, I'll be waiting.