Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Written Language

CameoShadowness

I know it's a kid show and all but I have met kids who are even tired of the scribbles and blank bars used as substitutes for actual written words. Now to be honest most of them are no where close to as bothered as I am about it but there is roughly two I can think of that are. Beyond the bars and scribbles we got these few:

From the first episode: Those basic 10 symbols we see for the Nightmare Moon prophecy and gets repeated in Show Stoppers. (screen shot from here: Dr. Turquoise's Youtube video called "My Little Pony Scientific Theories: Writing".)

The next is from a book cover and got it from PsychicWalnut (DA) and it was called "Resource:Open Book". I forgot the episode this was in but I genuinely got surprized from the lack of repetition.

The one after that is from "Just for Sidekicks" and is a screen shot from Dr. T's video that I mentioned before. This is Spike's cook book but if you get a full pitcher of the book, you see the pages and even paragraphs are really identical. This begs the question but given that he's making a Jewel Cake we can assume it's about that but the repetition bothers me.

Next is the book of the Crystal Empire BUT that book's writing is the same for the Complete History of the Wonderbolts book in "Testing Testing 1 2 3" So I assume the writing means Complete History and the symbol is for the topic. (I can't find the vector artist.)

Lastly the most Wordy part of the scroll from Forgotten friendship. I tried to decode it but couldn't. :/ Either way this has JUST ENOUGH repetition where it seems like a real coherent written language BUT the lack of clear spaces AND the fact that I already tried to decode and failed sucks.  (screen shot this from the episode myself)

I know I am missing the Sister Social Hooves Poster (I think that's what it's called) and some more minor stuff it is frustrating. As an animator I hate this. They USE FLASH. It makes animating a crap ton easier. I don't expect them to have writing every where, I expect that Symbols are literally enough in many cases (thus books only having pitcher covers are okay by me) but it just annoys me. I love the idea of having messages around that if people try hard enough, they could decipher and it gets people more into the animation and watching carefully. Making people constantly going back to watch more. I see it as a way to share messages and maybe even use it to pull their legs and joke sometimes (I'd be the one to do that.)

But what do you guys think?

Symbols we se.png

I think that the reason to omit any sensible common written language is to avoid the localization of the product. And for what it's worth generating an original language for them to use could be bit overkill or too big undertaking for the design team.

2 hours ago, Yu Ziyuan said:

I think that the reason to omit any sensible common written language is to avoid the localization of the product. And for what it's worth generating an original language for them to use could be bit overkill or too big undertaking for the design team.

It doesn't have to be a full on language, I know those take a super long time to do, but a code. A=F B=G kind of thing but with symbols. If they do go the full language route, which I doubt but can land the company extra money, then it can stand beyond the language barrier and connect fans from different parts of the world. through said language.

• Brohoof 1

The show is broadcasted in many countries now, with many dubs. It would be a nightmare to create something that would have meaning in so many languages. Plus, even making it English text would be harder to animate. It's a bit limited, but I like that the ponies DO NOT write in English.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I like that the ponies DO NOT write in English.

They write in Ponish, kinda like the Equestrian equivalent to English. It would be too hard for the animators to think of their own language for the ponies, so they just renamed English to Ponish. But I can see what you're doing here, and it's pretty interesting. Thinking that deep into the language of Equestrian ponies.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)
9 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The show is broadcasted in many countries now, with many dubs. It would be a nightmare to create something that would have meaning in so many languages. Plus, even making it English text would be harder to animate. It's a bit limited, but I like that the ponies DO NOT write in English.

The thing is, it really isn't that hard. People love to claim it's hard but it isnt... Or rather it isn't when you have a general idea what to do.

Also the show has shoved english in other places when it was unnecessary.

Edit: they use flash, and such. It isn't that hard at all. Even with my minum usage of things like it, it isn't hard to put in words for stationary things like books and stuff. To say it's hard is a lie.

4 hours ago, Midnight Solace said:

They write in Ponish, kinda like the Equestrian equivalent to English. It would be too hard for the animators to think of their own language for the ponies, so they just renamed English to Ponish. But I can see what you're doing here, and it's pretty interesting. Thinking that deep into the language of Equestrian ponies.

That is a very cheep tactic and we have found (sorta) contradictions to this when they not only use the latin alphabet but also use English words (Celestia's Welcome Banner) and accronyms that doesn't work in other languages. 

Edited by CameoShadowness
Put something I forgot.

4 hours ago, CameoShadowness said:

Edit: they use flash, and such. It isn't that hard at all. Even with my minum usage of things like it, it isn't hard to put in words for stationary things like books and stuff. To say it's hard is a lie.

No need to start trying to turn this into some thread war. Bye.

(edited)
1 hour ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

No need to start trying to turn this into some thread war. Bye.

If you think me pointing out a simple well known fact is starting a "thread war" then go ahead, leave.

To think you are so thin skinned that that was the reason you left is just sad.

There are actual legit reasons to not have the codes and such beyond animation or being world wide because that clearly isn't a problem but you rather not think. Either way if you bothered to read this, bye.

Edited by CameoShadowness
Left something out orginally and fized some mistakes