Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Have you ever written a book?

Dreambiscuit

Have you ever written a book? What was it about? Have you written more than one? If you haven’t written one yet but are considering doing so, what would you like to write about? Do you prefer writing fiction or non-fiction? And what genres interest you?

4 minutes ago, TheRockARooster said:

@Dreambiscuit

I wrote some stories as a kid about dinosaurs and other stuff and I stapled the pages together to make it into a book.

Not sure if that counts, lol.

Sure, it counts! Sounds awesome!! :P

I have actually! Unfortunately, it is entirely in my native language and under a pen name, so I can't share it with you; however, its subject matter is about the human mind, and how it wraps itself around situations that are atypical. Took a few years of research and interviews, something I don't normally enjoy doing.

Technically. But not in the traditional literature or officially published sense.

I write and draw manga as a solo creator, opposed to working in a creative team. I'm sort of in the hybrid stage of doing it as a hobby and actually receiving money for my work. My intention is to go professional as soon as I realistically can. Right now, I've written a three chapter long story that I'm currently in the process of drawing out. There will be approxiamtely 180+ pages altogether once the project is completed. So only a small one to start with. The story is written from start to finish and I have all the pages drafted out. It's just literally doing the art side of things that remains, which means long hours at my desk. :rarity:

It'll be self published on a site that is run by Shueisha which allows manga creators from any background to share their works. They do a monthly ranking system there for published works and I'm sort of planning using it as a testing ground to see how well mine does. If it reaches the level of attention that I've set as a marker, then I'll take it as a sign that it will be time to submit one of my other works through more official channels for consideration. This will be the first manga of mine that I've gone public with. I've drawn loads in the past, but all that has pretty much been for the purpose of self study and refining the craft over the years until it I felt it reached a certain standard. Only people that have seen my work are my really close friends. A very good sign that you're making progress is when they throw money at you without you even asking them for any sort of donation or support. :ButtercupLaugh:

In general with story writing, I pretty much dabble in everything. I do actually write in the more traditional sense. But once again, not really in the public or officially published sense.

So yeah. If you wanted to count the writing aspect of manga creation as having written a book, then yes. I suppose I have. Even if it sits as a pile of manuscript pages. :P

Couple of years ago I had a dream about some demon girl travelling around the world with her friends. When I woke up, I thought that could be an original idea for a book, so I immediately made some notes, even though I have never tried myself in writing before) In my story, she is forcefully summoned to our world during medieval times. Then she flees and tries to survive, outsmart the inquisition and other forces that are trying to catch her, while trying to live a normal life and struggling to understand what she is.

I have already worked out some peculiarities of the plot, worldbuilding, and I even drew a picture of the main character, the only problem is that... in two years I have written only a couple of pages, and that is only due to my laziness)

@Treeglow Flicker

I am deeply impressed by your dedication to such a vast and difficult task! Manga is not just writing but drawing as well, all in a dynamic style encompassing many disciplines not typical of just typing out a narrative, so the fact that you’re tackling this solo is amazing. I would love to see the finished work when it’s done. The site run by Shueisha is also an interesting tidbit of info for anyone who is truly serious about publishing manga.

As for me, since I’m here I might as well chime in on my own thread. I wrote a book when I was a teenager, which started out as a gift for a friend who had a baby. My hope was that it would be a simple bedtime story for the child, but by the time I finished, the story had grown into a novel and the child was too old for bedtime stories. It was pretty bad too, but it taught me a lot about writing, so not a total loss. I’m also halfway through a black comedy book about superheroes, but it’s been shelved for lack of time to work on it. Right now I write mostly short stories and scripts for stage plays, which are lots of fun to do.

• Brohoof 1

No, but I've wanted to write a fiction book for a couple of years now. I have all the ideas for it, but it's just about finding the time and motivation to actually put it together and write it. I'll get around to it someday. :p

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My uncle, who actually has written a book, once said he always asked himself the question, “what story could you tell better than anyone else?”

That’s stuck with me ever since, and I don’t have an answer to that… not yet. But maybe one day I will? Who knows!

Edited by SparklingSwirls
  • Brohoof 1

Ive had a of ideas for books given the massive reader I am in truth. :mellow:  I was working on three at one point,  but I got hit with some super super bad writer's block the last two years due to life and stress: covid, working,  nearly homeless, dealing with car stuff, and etc.  I didn't have the time to put into writing minus this last year I got back more into my reading,  slow research,  pagan things and even working on an outline for fanfiction and creative outreaches.   In truth, I'm hoping a trip back to my homelands will help me get back into a writing mood.  At least I have been working or writing a random poem every other week!  If anything,  I'll post what I did write:

https://www.wattpad.com/user/LadyThemis

No, too many pages too many words and too much proofreading:lostit:  

On 2023-07-03 at 4:08 AM, TheRockARooster said:

@Dreambiscuit

I wrote some stories as a kid about dinosaurs and other stuff and I stapled the pages together to make it into a book.

Not sure if that counts, lol.

Amazing!  I also did the same thing in school as a kid:pinkie:  

• 5 months later...
On 2023-07-03 at 12:08 PM, Treeglow Flicker said:

Technically. But not in the traditional literature or officially published sense.

I write and draw manga as a solo creator, opposed to working in a creative team. I'm sort of in the hybrid stage of doing it as a hobby and actually receiving money for my work. My intention is to go professional as soon as I realistically can. Right now, I've written a three chapter long story that I'm currently in the process of drawing out. There will be approxiamtely 180+ pages altogether once the project is completed. So only a small one to start with. The story is written from start to finish and I have all the pages drafted out. It's just literally doing the art side of things that remains, which means long hours at my desk. :rarity:

It'll be self published on a site that is run by Shueisha which allows manga creators from any background to share their works. They do a monthly ranking system there for published works and I'm sort of planning using it as a testing ground to see how well mine does. If it reaches the level of attention that I've set as a marker, then I'll take it as a sign that it will be time to submit one of my other works through more official channels for consideration. This will be the first manga of mine that I've gone public with. I've drawn loads in the past, but all that has pretty much been for the purpose of self study and refining the craft over the years until it I felt it reached a certain standard. Only people that have seen my work are my really close friends. A very good sign that you're making progress is when they throw money at you without you even asking them for any sort of donation or support. :ButtercupLaugh:

In general with story writing, I pretty much dabble in everything. I do actually write in the more traditional sense. But once again, not really in the public or officially published sense.

So yeah. If you wanted to count the writing aspect of manga creation as having written a book, then yes. I suppose I have. Even if it sits as a pile of manuscript pages. :P

My first work was also a manga. Although these were just attempts and I showed my first work to only a few of my friends. In general, I realized that writing is not my strong point and my skills in this are quite weak. So I abandoned this idea of writing a book.

Moreover, now I am preparing a responsible job, which also requires strong knowledge and skills  https://assignmentbro.com/ca/chemistry-assignment-help Therefore, I decided to delegate this to the experts and realized that this was the right decision.

Edited by OscarZullo
  • smile 1

I have wrote a research paper based on my research that I did. But sadly never got a chance to publish it. I never completed a full book..really. I’m more of a one-shot guy with writing short stories and films. I like my stories to deliver a massage and story telling. I’m not so good writing a long term effect story plot. It’s not that I don’t have the talent for it, it’s more devoting my time on it. However, my only writing a book attempt was related to WW2 take in a more fantastical world in a noir style. So it has bit of nonfiction and fiction aspects to it. The characters and event are nonfiction while the world I created is more fictional aspects. Inspired by a book “Discworld” and my dream when I dreamt about space Nazi. Where the German reich was taking place in space. 

I seriously need to get back to that. Since I had it on my mind here and there more often than I would like to admit it. Plus I’m always drawn to wars and it’s history.. just thinking about to write it out and completed it, may put my mind at ease. 

• Excited 1