Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight and Spike switching roles next season

FlareGun45

Ever since the beginning of the series, Spike has been Twilight achieve all her goals and dreams from her studies with Celestia, to becoming a Princess, to helping her manage her role, to helping with Starlight, to helping her build and run her school successfully! But for all the time Twilight's been focusing on her future and goals, she never really thinks about the future of the one she raised and that's been focusing his attention on her goals instead of his own. I know his goals weren't really talked about in the series, but... does anyone really ask? He's always so busy helping his friends out achieve their destinies, that he never has time to really think about his, and that's an issue that shouldn't be ignored.

As much as he enjoys helping his friends out, it wouldn't be so bad to see them help him out! Everybody has goals and dreams! Spike NEVER talked about his! He is a child, however, and children don't really think about those things, but since he's getting older now, he might wanna start at least thinking about what he wants to do than just being an assistant all the time. This was never talked about in the show, and it should at least be taken into consideration. He DOES have a destiny planned, it's confirmed via multiple sources! So maybe next season will be the time it happens! I'm positive he wouldn't wanna be an assistant for the rest of Twilight's life! He'd say he'd want to back in the earlier seasons, but there's a thing called "character development" and it's been, like, Iunno 5 years since the beginning of the series in-universe? At least! 

Twilight is STILL the main protagonist of the show, and her helping out the closest friend she has is still development to her! She IS interested in helping Spike out - but Spike never really talks about it, cause I guess he's too polite to those he cares about. I'm sure he has dreams! EVERYONE does! And it's only a matter of time before it gets touched upon! Spike might be the leading character next season, much like Starlight in season 6, especially if the rumor about the 7th element of harmony is true! For all he's been through, he deserves this; and Twilight would help him get there, just like the good mommy she is! It's her role as a mommy, as much as she wouldn't want her little boy growing up, it's gotta happen eventually, and she's gotta help him get there! His mommy, his five aunts, his weird sister, his dragon sister, and many others as well perhaps! 

So for next season, hopefully, Twilight would be Spike's #1 assistant! It'd be pretty sweet!

I know this is fanon territory, but dragon longevity must be considered for someone like Spike.

We have been told a fully grown dragon could take a hundred years nap, we have seen dragons as big as manticores referred to as 'teen dragons', we have seen the same fully grown dragon in a story from the time Flash Magnus was a cadet and retiring from Dragon Lordship in the present.

There's a chance that Spike will remain a kid for another 10-20 years before becoming an "official teen dragon (with horns), and around 50-100 years more to become an adult dragon. I think that, should it be the case, Spike could remain an assistant and learning everything he can from Twilight and the ponies for decades still, before getting a true goal for himself to pursue as an older teen dragon or a young adult.