Jump to content
Banner by ~ SFyr

Why Christmas/winter holidays?


TBD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Christmas...

tenor.gif?itemid=5526482&key=a266e97be1b

 

Christmas or other winter holidays is an one month where everyone no matter where you're form celebrate. All have one common family gathering and that good warm feeling. Why is that? Why not everyday beside December? what make this one month so special that makes everyone feels happy?  And whenever we see someone not having a "Merry Christmas" we feel great sympathy for them for not having it.  December is a month where everyone is being super generous to the unfortunates, rich, anyone alike. So why? why not everyday beside December? 

I'm bad talking about x-mas or any other holidays,  in fact I love it as much as Halloween and it's the only times I feel more happy. But why?

What's your guys opinion toward these holidays? Why does it make you happy?

What does X-mas means to you?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm sure the "people are supposed to be happy" is just a long-ingrained cultural expectation. But as for why we have these big holidays this time of the year, I think (well, it's based on historical evidence) that way back in ancient times the winter time was incredibly harsh to make it through. The reason that holidays like Christmas fall very close to the Winter Solstice is no secret. The Winter Solstice is when the days begin to get longer again, thus it was a reason for celebration back in those times. But it also was a time where people needed festivity to keep them going, I suppose.

Traditions like taking in evergreen trees and decorating them go waayyyy back (before Christianity), and I bet you it has to do with evergreen trees being a sign of life and fertility when it is otherwise so absent in nature. I can only imagine being a person in ancient times and being amazed by evergreen trees.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, BornAgainBrony said:

This is the best summary I've ever come across. Go figure. The Hearthswarming story is much closer to the old traditions than the holidays we celebrate now.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-true-meaning-christmas-that-everyone-forgets/
 

You Do know Cracked is a website for humor and satire, not actual research.

Edited by Will Guide
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'd say it has to do with the fact that winter gets rather depressing for most people without the festivities to look forward. Personally I enjoy the cold and darkness of it, and even what can seem like never ending rain in my home state throughout the rest of the year. So long as I have the option to be inside or course and don't nedd to go out in it. Waiting for 3 sunny days in a row so you can mow a semi dry yard is next to impossible around here outside of summer. But this closed in feeling of stagnation and repetition was even worse when we didn't have the technology to free ourselves from our homes and keep constantly entertained. Imagine spending 2 months snowed in, having to force your way out the door every morning to get firewood, have only a handful in options of what to eat, and a desk with some ink and paper and a small book shelf to sit at and stay occupied when you're not just trying to sleep through the season. It'd be like being imprisoned because in many ways you are. Christmas and other holidays around this time of year would be the only real escapes from it until the world you knew had finally thawed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


9 hours ago, Will Guide said:

You Do know Cracked is a website for humor and satire, not actual research.

If you knew anything about David Wong, you'd know that doesn't matter in this case. Actually if you knew anything about modern Cracked, you'd know its a lot more about serious topics, that usually just have a sarcastic spin for the sake of being more entertaining.

I also remember a time when the Enquirer was about humor and sature. Now it's a propaganda engine.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, BornAgainBrony said:

If you knew anything about David Wong, you'd know that doesn't matter in this case. Actually if you knew anything about modern Cracked, you'd know its a lot more about serious topics, that usually just have a sarcastic spin for the sake of being more entertaining.

I also remember a time when the Enquirer was about humor and sature. Now it's a propaganda engine.

I don't care. There's a entire page of things Cracked got so blatantly wrong, that I'm shocked that there are people who act like everything they done is researched well. 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, Will Guide said:

I don't care. There's a entire page of things Cracked got so blatantly wrong, that I'm shocked that there are people who act like everything they done is researched well. 

 

Well... I don't know then. That list of things they got wrong is actually pretty tiny if you consider how many articles are on that site.

Aaaaaand... unless you actually read the article I posted, then it would be hard for me to assume that your response was "researched well." ;)

Edited by BornAgainBrony
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, BornAgainBrony said:

Aaaaaand... unless you actually read the article I posted, then it would be hard for me to assume that your response was "researched well." ;)

Please, Don't get Smart with me. Turning my words against me like that. That's rude. I stated my personal stance on Cracked and expect to be treated with respect

Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 minute ago, Will Guide said:

Please, Don't get Smart with me. Turning my words against me like that. That's rude. I stated my personal stance on Cracked and expect to be treated with respect

My post was the one that was initially attacked. So... do unto others before they have a chance to do it to you, and only THEN act like it's wrong?

I have plenty of my own issues with that site. But then... take a like at most journalism sites and you will find some diversity in both the content of the writing staff and also the quality. Just because the article is on a webzine you don't like, doesn't magically make the article bad.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


3 minutes ago, BornAgainBrony said:

My post was the one that was initially attacked. So... do unto others before they have a chance to do it to you, and only THEN act like it's wrong?

I have plenty of my own issues with that site. But then... take a like at most journalism sites and you will find some diversity in both the content of the writing staff and also the quality. Just because the article is on a webzine you don't like, doesn't magically make the article bad.

Fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


 

@BornAgainBrony

But this topic is supposed about Christmas, not Cracked. I only responded in the first place not to attack anyone, but just to point out that you shouldn't believe everything you read . And I'm sorry that it came off looking like an attack on you. I have trouble telling the intentions of the post when there's no emojis or something to tell me if you were speaking in a joking matter or dead serious matter. I hope you can understand my reasoning and can forgive me.

  • Brohoof 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

 

@BornAgainBrony

But this topic is supposed about Christmas, not Cracked. I only responded in the first place not to attack anyone, but just to point out that you shouldn't believe everything you read . And I'm sorry that it came off looking like an attack on you. I have trouble telling the intentions of the post when there's no emojis or something to tell me if you were speaking in a joking matter or dead serious matter. I hope you can understand my reasoning and can forgive me.

It's alright. I'm sorry too. The publisher aside I recommend David Wong in particular. He may not get everything right, but he's very thought-provoking, and also often steps of outside the usual format that they're known for. I don't take things like this lightly. I've read quite a few articles about the topic and the spirit, history, evolution, and continuing importance of the Solstice holidays is practically a hobby to me. This is the article that I prefer to post to my FB wall one time per year as a homage to that idea. Deep enough to be thoughtful and powerful, but not too deep that it turns into a snore-inciting thesis.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Join the herd!

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...