Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Body types and representation in the future

ManaMinori

So it's no surprise that toylines like Barbie have been more inclusive with representing different body types. MLP, similarly, has- for the first time ever in their MLP animated series, so has FiM. Characters like Mrs. Cake, who's short and pudgy, Whoa Nelly who is all around thikk, and Fleur dis Lis, who is tall and slender exist, but as background characters. Howwwwwever, this aspect hasn't really bled over into their toyline, as all the ponies that have gotten made have the same body type. Do you think we'll see Hasbro be more progressive and give its main characters these different body types, as well as marketing them as such? Should relatability toward these characters incorporate body size, and not just be limited to personality?

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, FlitterFlutter said:

The thing is they use the same molds to make most of the toys. So long story short.  No i dont think they will make new molds just for some background characters that are not particularly popular. 

well, they switched it up and gave us completely new molds for the g4.5 toys, so there's always a possibility they can do it again with the introduction to g5.

So long as the body types they are promoting are healthy, I see nothing wrong with this idea.

More body types? I mean, I guess so. I don't really think that having many body types is really that important.

On 1/17/2019 at 8:01 AM, TwilySparky said:

More body types? I mean, I guess so. I don't really think that having many body types is really that important.

would you say the same about Barbie, in that case? They were all-inclusive, so why not Hasbro with its pony line?

On 1/18/2019 at 6:22 PM, Nightmare Muffin said:

would you say the same about Barbie, in that case? They were all-inclusive, so why not Hasbro with its pony line?

Because they're magic ponies...not humans. :P I highly doubt a little girl (or boy) is going to look at their plastic equine and think, 

"Gee, my pony is awful skinny and pretty. I should lose weight so I can look just like her! I'll sew on a couple of extra legs and paint myself hot pink while I'm at it!"

There's a major difference between Barbies and My Little Pony toys--one is a representation of a woman, one is an anthropomorphic animal. 

Edited by Kings&Hooves14
  • Brohoof 1