Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What kind of reception would there be if Michael Jackson had been a Brony?

ManaMinori

I wonder. While, admittedly, there was a ton of negative reception surrounding him and alleged pedophile activities for the majority of his life, I wonder......if MJ had been a fan of Friendship Is Magic, and open about it- what kind of reception would the FiM fandom have gotten? How might it have  affected the fandom? Positively? Negatively? Or what kind of reception would MJ have gotten?

The thought crossed my mind a few times. I've always been split about whether or not anything bad actually happened with him. The 'good guy' version of that who just got shafted by bad circumstances? I wish he could have seen it. More importantly the fandom that grew from it, since it played such an important role in saying it's OK for men to be feminine or childlike. MJ would've loved it. Overall the environment that exists now though would probably have been better for him than the one a couple of decades ago, not just Ponies. A lot of things about him (pre-Neverland Ranch raid) that were considered really weird, aren't seen as a big deal anymore. But he need not have even announced his involvement. The rise of furries would've given him a doorway to go out into the world and interact with people without his fame influencing it.

Not sure what kind of a mess that could've created though. Can you imagine the buzz hitting that MJ was going to a Brony con? How many fans who didn't even care about MLP would suddenly be buying tickets?

Edited by BornAgainBrony

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt (given he isn't really around to defend himself) and believe that he really just wanted to have a childhood he was denied as an actual child - and isn't Pony at least partially about escaping to a simpler, cleaner world like that?

I think he would have been happy as a Brony.

• Brohoof 2

I think most people don't give a second thought to those accusations or anything said by the paparazzi these days. The man's cemented himself as a legend. No one really cares about his strange habits anymore. If he were a fan of the show, it'd be a minor detail to his life. Maybe he'd have voiced a character on the show. Something to top Yankovic, Shatner, and de Lancie :laugh: Would love to see Grandpa Pear have to put up with Discord for a day.

• Brohoof 1

I think it would be cool if MJ were a Brony. It seems like a good fit. It would be absurd for it to reflect on him negatively just because MLP is classified as a children’s show. Watching a show doesn’t make someone a pedophile. As it is, MJ was an easy target for someone who smelled quick money and had no morals about accusing another human being without evidence. It takes nothing to accuse someone, and conjecture is all it takes to destroy someone who makes a living on their reputation. Michael Jackson always was, in my opinion, an innocent who was little more than a child himself, and I think he’d be a suitable fit and welcome addition to the MLP fandom. I'd be proud to have him on board.    

• 1 year later...