Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What would happen if Spike drank the "Past-Sight" potion from the S4 opener?

Truffles

Fun speculation time! :D

Back in the Season 4 opener, Zecora made a potion that required Alicorn Magic to make it work. That potion allowed Twilight to see past events first-hoof to help her understand why the Everfree was growing out of control. So, what would happen if Spike drank what was left of it? Would he be able to see how his egg ended up in Equestria? Who his biological parents were?

It's not clear from the episode whether the potion only shows the past history of alicorns (since it seemed like it only focused on scenes involving the princesses) or for that matter whether only alicorns could use the potion. However, if the potion instead grants a vision to the user based on what they want (or need) to see, perhaps it would indeed work for Spike to finally answer that long-standing question as to why he was orphaned?

FWIW, the only reason I'm thinking about this is from a dream I had this morning involving me watching the S9 premiere. As usual, my subconscious is more creative than my waking self: :)

Spoiler

During the course of events of the episode, Spike is determined to figure out what happened to his biological parents. To achieve that goal, he uses the potion and gets a vision of them being told by a dragon shaman that they must surrender their egg to Celestia because someday a student of hers will hatch it and in doing so will prevent a great evil from returning - one so powerful that if left unchecked will eventually reach the Dragonlands.

It certainly puts Celestia in a better light if she was meant to use his egg with her students as part of a larger prophecy than if she used it simply because it was lying around in storage. :mlp_laugh:

• Brohoof 2

This is indeed an interesting idea. I wonder how it works or who can consume it. But what would him finding out who his parents are, do for him at this point? I mean it seems to me at least that he would only be damaged by it. Its been shown he has nothing in common with dragon culture now and that he wants to be with his friends in Equestria. It just feels like nothing good could come of it. 

(edited)
8 hours ago, Truffles said:

Fun speculation time! :D

Back in the Season 4 opener, Zecora made a potion that required Alicorn Magic to make it work. That potion allowed Twilight to see past events first-hoof to help her understand why the Everfree was growing out of control. So, what would happen if Spike drank what was left of it? Would he be able to see how his egg ended up in Equestria? Who his biological parents were?

It's not clear from the episode whether the potion only shows the past history of alicorns (since it seemed like it only focused on scenes involving the princesses) or for that matter whether only alicorns could use the potion. However, if the potion instead grants a vision to the user based on what they want (or need) to see, perhaps it would indeed work for Spike to finally answer that long-standing question as to why he was orphaned?

FWIW, the only reason I'm thinking about this is from a dream I had this morning involving me watching the S9 premiere. As usual, my subconscious is more creative than my waking self: :)

Hide contents

During the course of events of the episode, Spike is determined to figure out what happened to his biological parents. To achieve that goal, he uses the potion and gets a vision of them being told by a dragon shaman that they must surrender their egg to Celestia because someday a student of hers will hatch it and in doing so will prevent a great evil from returning - one so powerful that if left unchecked will eventually reach the Dragonlands.

It certainly puts Celestia in a better light if she was meant to use his egg with her students as part of a larger prophecy than if she used it simply because it was lying around in storage. :mlp_laugh:

Honestly, what you said sounds similar if not better than what I thought about writing for Spike's backstory in my potential fanfic. If it does happen as you say, I could simply have my original idea be Alternative Universe and work with the new version.

Edited by Will Guide

1 hour ago, Jedishy said:

This is indeed an interesting idea. I wonder how it works or who can consume it. But what would him finding out who his parents are, do for him at this point? I mean it seems to me at least that he would only be damaged by it. Its been shown he has nothing in common with dragon culture now and that he wants to be with his friends in Equestria. It just feels like nothing good could come of it. 

I admit I'm projecting my own desires onto Spike when it comes to his origins - I'm probably more interested than he is in learning what led up to his egg becoming a test in Celestia's school. :)

But I can't dismiss it entirely, since we found out all this time he's been making a list of things to do with his father even though we thought he was over all of that following "Dragon Quest." I tend to think he still has hopes his parents have more in common with the likes of Smolder and Ember than they would with dragons like Sludge and Garble, and that would would be willing to integrate into pony society much like Smolder has.

1 hour ago, Will Guide said:

Honestly, what you said sounds similar if not better than what I thought about writing for Spike's backstory in my potential fanfic. If it does happen as you say, I could simply have my original idea be Alternative Universe and work with the new version.

Even though I like the idea of his parents "sacrificing" their son for a greater good (and perhaps giving him the opportunity of a better life as a bonus) I don't expect that to become canon in the show. I remain cautiously optimistic the show will answer the question of Spike's origin before the show ends, however, even if he doesn't learn exactly who his biological parents are.

• Brohoof 1