Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general What aspect of your past self would you like to get back?

Dreambiscuit

(edited)

I recently asked this question of some people who are quite a bit older than most of the members of the forums here:

If you could regain one physical or mental aspect from your youth, what would it be?

Now, even though the average age of the forum members here isn’t exactly knocking on the the doors at the old folks’ home, the question fundamentally remains the same. If there were any aspect of your younger self that you could get back, what would it be? As an example, it could be physical prowess, innocence, optimism, mental acuity, etc. For me, I would love to regain my memory. I’m only 32 (as of this writing) but my short-term memory is very poor and I would love to get it back.

What would you choose?  

Edited by Dreambiscuit
  • Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 2

If I could I would get these aspects from my past self back:

- The physical health of myself from high school or before.

- The bubbly, chatty version of myself from the mid 2000s and before. I masked that in high school and that mask has been "on" for so long now after getting hurt and called "annoying" so many times in high school.

- My passion for music from 2016.

• Hugs 1

(edited)

The true happiness I once had many years ago, I suppose. Before I ever needed two anti-depressants to feel 5% of it. I've forgotten what that feels like.

Edited by Kyoshi Frost Wolf
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 1

On 2024-04-12 at 5:18 PM, Iforgotmybrain said:

I'd love to have perfect vision without glasses again.

What was THAT like? I've had glasses since I was three, contacts since twelve.

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

What was THAT like? I've had glasses since I was three, contacts since twelve.

Amazing lol. It was nice not having to wear them just to see TV or make out detail in something that wasn’t 3 ft away from my face.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly I don't know, 1-5 years ago I would have said a lot of things, but these days I non-ironically feel like I'm getting closer to how I was as a kid (about 10-12 years ago), a lot of the things I do now I used to do in the early 2010s, I don't see many differences, I don't know, maybe energy and patience to watch a lot of things? I used to watch multiple films, shows and videos on YouTube, nowadays I watch few videos in a day, and a maximum of 2 to 3 shows per year... but at that time I watched TV, nowadays not anymore, I was also a fan of a lot of things at that time (unlike today where I'm only a fan of DBZ and MLP) but I don't exactly miss that, I also used to play a lot of video games too but I don't exactly miss that either.

I'm actually fine with my current self, I think what I would like to bring back is the world of 2014, regarding myself I would like to go back in time and avoid forgetting about MLP :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Literally having that "carefree lifestyle" so I don't worry about everything that is going around the world and worrying about paying bills, expensive, taxes, etc.

• Hugs 1

Oof this is a hard one, but one thing that I would like back is probably my physical youth from high school. I wake up with slight aches or so every morning as I am heading into my 30's and everyone I know is telling me that is quite normal which is a bit frightening.

I was able to do 5-10 miles every day with no issues and was able to burn off calories much more easily back then thanks to the faster metabolism. I started working out again the past several months and I am averaging about 4 miles daily and need to stretch a lot more before workouts. I hope to raise this back up over time this year. 

Another thing I would like back is probably my memory. I noticed years later that my long term memory isn't quite as sharp as it used to be, but I am still doing pretty well in graduate school at the moment.

Younger me used to thrive under pressure when it came to work and other things in my personal life. These days I prefer not to be put in that situation in the first place cause I get stressed out more easily, but sometimes it can't be helped and I wish I could hold my composure as easily as I could before.