Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Could I get some critique on my OC please?

roomforapony

(edited)

Hey guys! I was wondering could anybody give me some critique or redlines or anything on this sketch I made of one of my OCs? I am pretty pleased with myself because I didn't use references with this, but she just seems really off and just flat. I would really appreciate any and all advice.

Also, coloring tutorials and shading tutorials would be great, too. I am just awful at this digital stuff and am having a really hard time with it.

I hope this in the right place (or even allowed). Thank you kindly!

Edit: Revised drawing:

Posted Image

post-2704-0-22302000-1338538670_thumb.png

Edited by roomforapony
  • Brohoof 3

WAY better than anything I can do.

The eye furthest from the viewpoint does look a bit off, but other than that, it's perfect.

Well, since you ask:

The snout/whatever it is for ponies looks a bit too round, and the hind leg has one too many curves(that curve at the back, above one curve of the tail).

Other than that, it's fine.

(edited)

Thanks to the both of you! The darker lines are my revisions. I thought her front legs were even more wonkier when I fixed the hind ones. I tried to make the hair look like it's by her face and covering her neck, but I still tried to make her neck smaller. And I made the legs less round and inverted. Oh, and made her snout more thin. If it looks weird, then again, I tried to make the hair next to her eye and snout. If it still looks off I do not mind fixing it again!

Posted Image

Edited by roomforapony

It's pretty good for not using a reference The nose and eyes are a bit off, but the heads the hardest thing to get. I would actually recommend using references and even tracing to get used to the MLP anatomy. If you're sketching digitally with a tablet, I actually made
, but overall, nice job!

It's pretty good for not using a reference The nose and eyes are a bit off, but the heads the hardest thing to get. I would actually recommend using references and even tracing to get used to the MLP anatomy. If you're sketching digitally with a tablet, I actually made

, but overall, nice job!

Thank you so much! I will definitely bookmark and use that tutorial! I always feel like I'm cheating when using references and especially tracing, but I see how that could help especially since I have only drawn in MLP style like, once before (and that was using a reference). I use references sometimes but I always scrap whatever I draw because I feel so bad about it, haha.

Thank you so much! I will definitely bookmark and use that tutorial! I always feel like I'm cheating when using references and especially tracing, but I see how that could help especially since I have only drawn in MLP style like, once before (and that was using a reference). I use references sometimes but I always scrap whatever I draw because I feel so bad about it, haha.

Not for art you yourself want to create, but references are a great way to start off. You need to learn the exact proportions of a pony before you're able to sketch it nicely. I've had the most problems drawing my noses, but I'm getting the hang of it eventually. Practicing drawing gives results unbelievably fast, so it's something I can do and visibly see the outcomes of.

Not for art you yourself want to create, but references are a great way to start off. You need to learn the exact proportions of a pony before you're able to sketch it nicely. I've had the most problems drawing my noses, but I'm getting the hang of it eventually. Practicing drawing gives results unbelievably fast, so it's something I can do and visibly see the outcomes of.

I'll definitely do that then. I am still trying to get realistic stuff down, so I guess it wasn't the best idea to try my hand at a different style all of the sudden, but dang I have had a hankering for drawing ponies lately.

:o

I'll definitely do that then. I am still trying to get realistic stuff down, so I guess it wasn't the best idea to try my hand at a different style all of the sudden, but dang I have had a hankering for drawing ponies lately.

:o

I know that feel, I'm drawing like 3-4 a week, spending at least an hour and a half on each drawing.

On the revised drawing there's a line just on the right from the nose, I can't see its purpose (doesn't look like hair to me). Personally, I think the snout looked perfectly on the original, same as hind hooves (the rest of the body is better in the revised version).

The drawing is really awesome.