Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Removing Video Players in Posts

RaraLover

5 hours ago, Emerald Heart said:

@ILoveRara

Weird.

Sorry, that's usually what works for me. Let's hope a mod arrives soon.

All good. I've had this issue before, but didn't bother doing anything about it. Let's hope this issue can now be settled. ;)

Edited by ILoveRara
  • Brohoof 4

I would love to be able to create video players in my post by linking mp4 videos from my own server. That would indeed save space on the MLPForums server.

But even so, I can only get the video player up if I attach the video directly to a status (uploading it to MLPForums) and deleting the video is not possible without deleting the attachment itself. These limits are making me sad. I just want to be a able to show some videos without having to upload them to Youtube.

• Brohoof 1

8 hours ago, Bas said:

Pretty much is the solution @RaraLover.

If you don't do this the software will embed videos and pictures again if they are still in the attachment but not in the post.

I did try that, but the video players are still shown in the editor.

image.thumb.png.2e9eefe519f66d0c09495a017f0feeb3.png.55561a64f2e27e4a89804649d57d0d15.png

(Sorry if the image is blurry, but I wanted to zoom out enough so that the whole editor can be viewed at once.)

Edited by RaraLover
  • Brohoof 3

12 hours ago, Bas said:

And if you both delete the attachment and the player element by pressing backspace?

Yes, I did try that. I clicked on the video player so that it was 'selected' (has a blue border as shown in the image below, very faintly), but then pressing backspace did nothing.

In fact, the post I showed in the image actually has no attachments saved to it, yet the video players are still shown. Weird. :mlp_confused:

image.thumb.png.7cef0d0dcfbac2883b1c62dfb3e675b7.png

Edited by RaraLover
  • Brohoof 3

5 hours ago, Totally Nyx said:

@RaraLover Are you uploading a video as an attachment or copying in a link from a website like Youtube? And if you're attaching a video, what file format is it. I'll see if I can recreate this issue and find a solution.

What happened to the [video] tags anyways? This forum has a video player, but it can only automatically appear if you attach a video to the post.

We are not talking about Youtube videos, they work fine, such as adding them and deleting them in a post.

• Brohoof 2

21 hours ago, Bas said:

Try to place your courser behind or below  the video and press backspace.

Can't get my cursor below or behind the video players. Nothing can be typed after the video players (however, I can still put my cursor before/above them and still be able to type).

20 hours ago, Totally Nyx said:

@RaraLover Are you uploading a video as an attachment or copying in a link from a website like Youtube? And if you're attaching a video, what file format is it. I'll see if I can recreate this issue and find a solution.

Uploading a video as an attachment, from a file saved to my local computer. The file format is apparently a MOV file.

What happened was that I uploaded the video file and then inserted it into my post. However, I wanted to remove the uploaded video file because it was not the correct one. So I deleted the attached video file and re-uploaded a new one, but that ended up with another video player in the editor, without deleting the previous one. Deleting the old video file attachement did not remove the existing video player in the editor.

Edited by RaraLover
  • Brohoof 3

Interesting. I'm attaching .mov files, and it's doing what you mentioned about not being able to put the cursor on or after the video. A workaround for that (not a fix though, it's definitely buggy) is to write some text beneath where you want to insert the video, then when you insert the video you'll be able to select underneath it where you've already written.

It doesn't seem to be giving me issues removing the video though. When I remove the file attachment the video player goes away as well. I've noticed a few wonky interactions with it, but nothing that makes me not be able to remove it. If you just added the video that you want removed, you can use undo or Ctrl-Z, but that's just another workaround for a bigger issue. I'll look into this some more.

• Brohoof 1

16 hours ago, Bas said:

What you can try: You used backspace, which removes something BEFORE the cursor. If you are on PC, you can try to place the cursor somewhere BEFORE the video, then not pressing backspace but DEL - This will remove things AFTER the cursor instead.

Nope. Didn't work unfortunately. :/

• Brohoof 3

@Bas @Splashee @Totally Nyx

I randomly figured out how to delete the video players in the editor while trying Bas' suggestion.

What I did was remove all the text in the editor first. This then allowed me to remove all the video players by pressing backspace while the cursor is before the video players.

First I removed all the text:

image.thumb.png.42f4c024ec7f6f4b1d6f9cad1e4addc4.png

Then pressing backspace removed the video players:

image.thumb.png.ef50e72edd8bd2096731945b551b3b92.png

Such a simple solution, yet such a struggle to figure out!

• Brohoof 3

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Totally Nyx said:

@RaraLover Is that a sufficient solution or are you still looking for something better?

I think it's fine. It solves my problem at least, and that's what I was concerned of most.

Thanks for asing.

• Brohoof 4

• The topic was locked