Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Ever Use A Beta Max Or Laser Disc Player?

Denim&Venöm

10 hours ago, Dreambiscuit said:

But if they ever do come out officially, I'll be first in line to get a nice copy! :sunbutt:

It is really awful though, I don't know if I would buy something to never watch it :). I have the unmodified original trilogy on laserdisc, but I think it was released on DVD as well by now.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a Sony Betamax VCR. I forgot the model number, it has Hi-Fi stereo and can only record in BII and BIII speeds (equivalent to VHS LP and SLP/EP speeds respectively). It was one of my lucky thrift store finds from about 5 years ago. I also bought a Toshiba HD DVD player from a Goodwill thrift store not long afterwards.

I have three Betamax tapes: Disney's Davy Crockett, In Search of a Golden Sky, and a blank Sony L-750 cassette which I've recorded some random stuff on when I play with the VCR on rare occasions.

I also have a blank 1/2" open reel video tape (sometimes referred to as the EIAJ format) that I found at my local electronics recycling center about a year or two ago. I don't have a machine that uses it, but I believe the oldest deck that uses that kind of tape is a Sony CV-2000, which dates back to 1965!

I currently don't have a LaserDisc player (haven't been able to afford one, nor do I have the room to store one at the moment), but I do have a few LaserDiscs: A Christmas Story, Jaws 2, and the complete series of Fawlty Towers.

• Brohoof 1

Oml laser disc, that brings me back to when I was little and in Singapore. Every weekend my family would go to our local video library and borrow a laser disc, mine would usually be a Winnie the Pooh one

• Brohoof 1

Yeah. I've used Betamax before. When I was a toddler, much to the annoyance of my half siblings, I learned how to use the player to watch Thomas the Tank Engine on loop. It drove them mad apparently. I still love the old Beta and VHS tapes. Instant nostalgia just looking at them. :kirin:

• Brohoof 1

When I was a filly they had a VCR in my scool, it was some years before it was a norm to have such tings in your home.

I just remember it was on a wagon with a TV-set on top. And I remember it had a big analog clock in the front.

I found a picture on the web, and it seems to be a Philips VCR, the tape system was called simply VCR. Bulky expensive tapes.

I guess the cost for such a system was simply out of hooves for normal consumers at that time.

VCRPhilips.JPG.0e1f2336659ff8856fc064e983b220a7.JPG