Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How dangerous are Unicorn lasers?

Gaines

And specifically unicorn lasers. 
I'm pretty sure we've seen unicorns blast things to smithereens, but when they shoot other ponies it rarely ever leaves a scratch. I'm wondering if unicorns have different laser spells, or if ponies and other creatures are somewhat immune to them. I want to hear y'all's theories.

• Brohoof 1

They leave no scratch because it is a show for all ages. But I imagine them inflicting first to fourth degree burnings based on magical power. With characters like tempest, I believe the effect would be similar to getting hit with an arch flash explosion. I also imagine unicorns to be more conductive when it comes to energy, and each one is atuned to a unique frequency which can be seen in the color of their magic spells.

Edited by They call me Loyalty

Shooting laser beams and flying (levitation), the two magical things that magic can do when they are convenient to the story.

The unicorns can use their horn to glow to make a primitive flash light. But I don't see magic being directly connected to electromagnetism. Magic is not the source of energy in Equestria. I know that unicorns can move the sun with magic, but the sun isn't made up of magic, the light is not connected to magic.

Laser, or "light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation" would rather become Maser (replace light with magic), but Maser is already a thing.

The moment that magic becomes connected to light, is the moment magic can be used as energy, meaning you need unicorns to see in the dark, or charge your smart devices. Can unicorns then use their magic to create fire, heat things up, cool things down? Unicorns even as babies would cause too much destruction by accident

Very dangerous! But I would argue we haven't seen a true "laser" from the show. There's one where I work, and I can assure you that they leave a scar, and hurt for a while.

The reason the magical beams in the show don't leave a mark, I think is because it's just a form of energy and the object or character being hit by it is absorbing it overall. Thus it's closer to being shocked more than anything, and that physical interaction happens to be painful, if not countered by a magical conduit such as another unicorns horn.

I'd imagine if MLP would be TV Y, we'd probably see more significance of the damage lasers can do.
Then again, judging from the perspective of laser intensity (twilight's kingdom) I figured a beam with that intensity could incinerate at a very high temperature.
Probably enough to leave permanent burns.
But then there are moments where beams have less significance like in Magic dual where it's simply doing more magic applications.

That's my thought

Edited by Whirlwind

kimono says:

1347546855_justsayno.thumb.png.f96858a30e1e38abe94447be89268a2c.png

energy beams is not what mlp should have been about. Also energy beams don't oppose like they show in the show anyway.

that said, I think the force imparted by Twi's energy beam against Tirek was about the same as the amount required to fly a boeing 747. ie 45,000lbs. That was the combined power of at least 4 alicorns, so they have about 10K lbs

I think the average 'corn is about 100 times less powerful than that, so they average at about 1K lbs thrust. So about the same amount as a sizeable firework :3

• 2 months later...

I would say that the potency of a unicorn's magical laser varies, and that it depends on what spell is being cast from their horn. It also depends on that unicorn's natural magic capabilities.