Rules of non-pony naming?

Moonstarleader10101

Just doing this before I start making more characters for something I am writing, any known rules that non-pony species have when it comes to names? (Like how Griffon names start with G, or how most changeling names are bug related, those are the non-pony name rules that I know)

Edited by Moonstarleader10101
  • Brohoof 3

Yes, there are some "hidden rules" for naming non-pony characters. I kinda think they did that for them to make more sense. Griffons with names starting with G make sense because of how it simply rolls off the tongue. A changeling with name of a characteristic of a bug/insect makes sense because changelings are in fact bug/pony hybrids. Hippogriffs have names that relate to land and sea because of how they could switch forms. Yaks are like griffons since their names start with Y and it rolls off the tongue easily.  

• Brohoof 3

Just making a anime character into a dragon-pony hybrid and deciding what their name would be if they had an equestrian name instead of a normal name, just assuming that a hybrid would combine the rules of both species with it's name

Edited by Moonstarleader10101

Wouldn't that just be longma or kirin? In that case, one could name the OC in the same fashion as one would name a kirin. The other option is to consider the naming habits of parents themselves and which one would more likely choose the name.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, Courageous Thunder Dash said:

Yes, there are some "hidden rules" for naming non-pony characters. I kinda think they did that for them to make more sense. Griffons with names starting with G make sense because of how it simply rolls off the tongue. A changeling with name of a characteristic of a bug/insect makes sense because changelings are in fact bug/pony hybrids. Hippogriffs have names that relate to land and sea because of how they could switch forms. Yaks are like griffons since their names start with Y and it rolls off the tongue easily.  

^ This is all of my current non-pony naming knowledge too ^_^
as well as Kirin having very nature-related names (ex: Fern Flare, Rain Shine, Autumn Blaze) 

7 hours ago, Moonstarleader10101 said:

Mlp has kirins, and tbh they don't look like dragon pony hybrids to me

I personally like to think Kirins are actually some form of dragon/pony hybrids, despite most sources saying they're merely monsters :please: (non-mlp related sources tho)

Edited by Gaines

20 hours ago, Moonstarleader10101 said:

Be warned though that the subject of hybrids in particular is a cringe minefield. This is where OC memes come from. It's better to imitate what's already there most of the time.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
On 2021-11-15 at 4:53 PM, Moonstarleader10101 said:

Yeah, they don’t look much like dragon pony hybrids to be honest